Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Cardinal- anyone recommend it ?

(39 Posts)
MissTree Wed 03-Jun-20 11:19:12

I see there’s a new series of Cardinal tonight. This has passed me by but I see series 1 is on iplayer so I’m thinking of giving it a try tonight. Has anyone been following it and would you recommend it ? If you gave up on it coukd you tell me why . Thanks .

Calendargirl Wed 03-Jun-20 11:28:06

This is the final series. I’ve watched the previous three on BBC4.
It’s set in Canada, hunky older grizzled detective, complicated personal life (as per usual), younger, keen, attractive female colleague.
Various murders and killings, bit Scandi noir.

I shall certainly watch it, perhaps on catch up as it clashes with Sewing Bee.

You don’t have to have seen the other episodes, but I imagine it helps if you have.

Stunning snowy scenery and landscapes.

MissTree Wed 03-Jun-20 12:03:29

Oh good. Sounds promising, Calendar girl.

I like more of the detective investigating with some decent scenery thrown in rather than close ups of blood and gore. Something to knit to ?

Sussexborn Wed 03-Jun-20 12:07:44

We’ve watched from the start and are looking forward to seeing the final series. If you enjoy the Scandi noir serials you’ll enjoy this.

sodapop Wed 03-Jun-20 12:20:46

Oops thought this was going to be a thread about Cardinal polish, anyone else remember that?

Esspee Wed 03-Jun-20 12:43:29

We have watched it and are looking forward to the new series. Everything we have been watching of late seems to have subtitles so Cardinal will be a welcome change.

J52 Wed 03-Jun-20 13:32:32

I’ve just watched series 1 on iPlayer. Really enjoyed it. I’m glad the series tonight isn’t a repeat as I’m looking forward to catching up on series 2 and 3.
I was also reminded of Cardinal red polish, my granny’s hallway always smelt of it because she used it to polish the red floor tiling.

Nortsat Wed 03-Jun-20 17:03:21

MissTree (good name!), thank you for the ‘heads up’. ?Cardinal had passed me by and I have started watching series one. It looks good. I am glad to have the whole set to watch.

Seeing all the snow and the landscapes in Canada is very interesting. I had to check a map of the Great Lakes, to get some context on the geography.

MissTree Wed 03-Jun-20 18:06:15

Thank you Nortsat ☺️

Davida1968 Wed 03-Jun-20 18:14:16

Sorry that I can't agree with others here. Recently DH & I started watching "Cardinal" (series one), but we gave up after episode three, because it was just too gruesome (graphic violence) for us. (This is despite us being viewers who've watched several "Scandi noirs", as well as all of "Game of Thrones".....)

GrandmasueUK Wed 03-Jun-20 19:51:23

I started watching it today and binge watched the whole series 1 whilst ironing and cleaning the living room. I did look away/ff through the graphic parts. I’ve enjoyed it, apart from the main character whispering his lines!

MissTree Wed 03-Jun-20 20:39:05

Oh dear. Another one bites the dust. We started series 1 but gave up after half an hour. Not much of a try but from past experience we know it’s not our thing.
I couldn’t follow the dialogue . Cardinal mumbled and I drove the OH mad by asking “ What did he say ? “

Calendargirl Wed 03-Jun-20 22:06:22

Why not use subtitles MissTree? I often have them on, particularly to decipher American accents.

If you didn’t take to it however, even subtitles won’t make you like it.

?

MissTree Thu 04-Jun-20 09:04:35

D’you know that’s not a bad idea ! I was thinking as I watched it that the Scandinavian series are easier because of the subtitles. I turned my tv up to 35 whereas normally I watch on 8 or 10 . And I was eating crisps which didn’t help . Hahaha.
Having said that I still don’t think it was for me. My husband will watch any old thing but I’d happily read instead. I try and find something we could both enjoy .

felice Thu 04-Jun-20 09:11:35

I watched it for the first time last night, it was ok, but the music was really weird, and it seems to be one of those programmes which is filmed in the dark.

I will give it another go next week.

TerriBull Thu 04-Jun-20 09:18:16

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't rate this programme. Watched the first series thought it was dreary and violent, vaguely remember some poor person being taken hostage and locked up by a psychopath. Gave it another go, thought the 2nd one started off okay and then it descended into implausible rubbish. I'm not going to waste time on a third.

Charleygirl5 Thu 04-Jun-20 11:54:12

I did watch it last night but I also was not over impressed. I had to use subtitles because of the mumbling but I think I will watch it next week and see if it improves.

dahlia Thu 04-Jun-20 17:01:52

We both enjoy it, and use subtitles to cover the mumbling. The scenery is so spectacular, and I find the back story of Cardinal himself interesting, having watched the whole series in the past. Think we may take a look at series 1 again. By the way, we find subtitles so useful these days, I was advised that the very thin television sets these days have nowhere to put a good sound system - that's my excuse, anyway!

NanKate Sat 06-Jun-20 07:31:33

They are gritty dramas and I enjoy them. Watching some of the old series again before the latest.

NanKate Sat 06-Jun-20 07:35:31

A rather techy question. We have a new tv and I can access subtitles on normal tv but when I go on one of the apps like BBC IPlayer I can see they have subtitles but don’t know what to press on my remote control to set them going. Any ideas please?

MiniMoon Sat 06-Jun-20 10:05:38

I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't hear the dialogue. DH has very acute hearing, I have tinnitus, it makes watching TV rather trying.
I watched it, having not seen any of the previous series, so I do t understand the back story.
I wasn't that impressed and well not seek out the first two series.

cangran Sat 06-Jun-20 10:20:40

It's a nostalgia trip for me (not the grizzly murders - don't remember that in the Great White North!) as it is filmed in and around North Bay, Ontario, further north but with similar scenery to the Bruce Peninsula (Lake Huron, Georgian Bay) where I was born. Cardinal is very soft spoken so I can understand it would be hard to follow (with the too loud music in the background) if you're unfamiliar with our accent (not that we have one of course!). A friend's (English) husband can't seem to keep the characters straight and says they all look the same in parkas!

ladymuck Sat 06-Jun-20 10:25:44

Reassuring to know I'm not the only one who has difficulty understanding American voices.

Charleygirl5 Sat 06-Jun-20 10:45:02

I also had problems distinguishing who was who as a friend of cangran said they all look the same in parkas. The lighting was also poor and add on the loud music. Does nobody give a thought to the viewing public?

seacliff Sat 06-Jun-20 10:53:36

I quite enjoyed it, but then I do usually enjoy the Scandi dramas. Just something a bit different. Love to see a different way of life.

I have started by watching series 1. The scenery is very bleak (like the story) and beautiful too. I would not like to live there, so dark, always having to wear very warm clothing. Also they seem to have an awful lot of serial killers on the loose. grin