Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Cardinal- anyone recommend it ?

(40 Posts)
MissTree Wed 03-Jun-20 11:19:12

I see there’s a new series of Cardinal tonight. This has passed me by but I see series 1 is on iplayer so I’m thinking of giving it a try tonight. Has anyone been following it and would you recommend it ? If you gave up on it coukd you tell me why . Thanks .

Eloethan Tue 09-Jun-20 22:45:05

I started watching one of the previous series but found it rather boring and the characters not particularly engaging - but quite a few people have enjoyed it so it's worth a look.

Rosalyn69 Tue 09-Jun-20 20:32:55

I have just started watching series 1. I’m enjoying it so far.

NanKate Tue 09-Jun-20 18:47:59

I’ll let you know when I have success AuntieFlo.

Auntieflo Tue 09-Jun-20 07:54:53

NanKate. How are you doing?
Did you manage to get the sub-titles working?

My 'hovering' info was a bit awry, and yes I probably did mean the arrow buttons.

Anyway, keep on , keeping on, and hope you are soon sorted.
smile

NanKate Sun 07-Jun-20 22:26:02

Auntieflo I usually get the subtitles working on my IPad but will try to get them working on the same apps through the tv. You mention hovering over the subtitle icon and pressing ok. I can only hover with my IPad but for the telly I need to press the arrows to get to the subtitle icon and it is only on the screen a short while. Anyway don’t worry I will battle away and am determined to set it up. Thanks anyway ?

seacliff Sun 07-Jun-20 20:51:34

I don't watch the gruesome bits. I fast forward, I still get the idea. Hate to see such things.

Witzend Sun 07-Jun-20 11:11:00

I fell asleep on the sofa, but then that’s not unusual anyway.
And yes, I did find it hard to hear all the dialogue.

BBbevan Sun 07-Jun-20 10:19:54

We have watched the newest series of Cardinal. We missed it before. We were told it was gruesome, but in the main we have enjoyed it and are now watching series 2. We have also watched Wallander, Helen Dorn and Wisting during lockdown. So I think we are nearing our limit with detective programmes

Charleygirl5 Sun 07-Jun-20 10:10:08

Auntieflo you, unfortunately, are correct. I need subtitles but the vast majority of programmes when re-shown for some reason do not have them.

Auntieflo Sun 07-Jun-20 10:00:28

NanKate. I found last night that not all catch ups have subtitles, or at least I couldn't make it work last night when watching "The A Word".
But then that may have been me!

Iam64 Sat 06-Jun-20 22:12:56

We decided to watch series 1 rather than go straight into the new series. I love the Scandi type music. The snow, cold are dark add to the tension. I’m enjoying the key characters but isn’t it gruesome ?

NanKate Sat 06-Jun-20 21:57:56

I will try that Auntieflo thanks.

Auntieflo Sat 06-Jun-20 15:01:09

NanKate. When watching Iplayer, there is a bar at the bottom of the screen. In this bar there is an S
If it's like ours.
I hover over the S, and press OK.
On ours, you have to be quick!
This brings up the sub-titles on our TV.

Good luck. Go and have a play ?

oldgimmer1 Sat 06-Jun-20 11:25:09

Thanks Cangran for that piece of location info.

Toronto is obviously quite close and so is a place called Sudbury, which I think was mentioned in the programme.

It looks soooo cold.

The victim's wife is wearing thin clothes though. Heating must cost her a fortune. Open plan house, too. hmmgrin

seacliff Sat 06-Jun-20 10:53:36

I quite enjoyed it, but then I do usually enjoy the Scandi dramas. Just something a bit different. Love to see a different way of life.

I have started by watching series 1. The scenery is very bleak (like the story) and beautiful too. I would not like to live there, so dark, always having to wear very warm clothing. Also they seem to have an awful lot of serial killers on the loose. grin

Charleygirl5 Sat 06-Jun-20 10:45:02

I also had problems distinguishing who was who as a friend of cangran said they all look the same in parkas. The lighting was also poor and add on the loud music. Does nobody give a thought to the viewing public?

ladymuck Sat 06-Jun-20 10:25:44

Reassuring to know I'm not the only one who has difficulty understanding American voices.

cangran Sat 06-Jun-20 10:20:40

It's a nostalgia trip for me (not the grizzly murders - don't remember that in the Great White North!) as it is filmed in and around North Bay, Ontario, further north but with similar scenery to the Bruce Peninsula (Lake Huron, Georgian Bay) where I was born. Cardinal is very soft spoken so I can understand it would be hard to follow (with the too loud music in the background) if you're unfamiliar with our accent (not that we have one of course!). A friend's (English) husband can't seem to keep the characters straight and says they all look the same in parkas!

MiniMoon Sat 06-Jun-20 10:05:38

I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't hear the dialogue. DH has very acute hearing, I have tinnitus, it makes watching TV rather trying.
I watched it, having not seen any of the previous series, so I do t understand the back story.
I wasn't that impressed and well not seek out the first two series.

NanKate Sat 06-Jun-20 07:35:31

A rather techy question. We have a new tv and I can access subtitles on normal tv but when I go on one of the apps like BBC IPlayer I can see they have subtitles but don’t know what to press on my remote control to set them going. Any ideas please?

NanKate Sat 06-Jun-20 07:31:33

They are gritty dramas and I enjoy them. Watching some of the old series again before the latest.

dahlia Thu 04-Jun-20 17:01:52

We both enjoy it, and use subtitles to cover the mumbling. The scenery is so spectacular, and I find the back story of Cardinal himself interesting, having watched the whole series in the past. Think we may take a look at series 1 again. By the way, we find subtitles so useful these days, I was advised that the very thin television sets these days have nowhere to put a good sound system - that's my excuse, anyway!

Charleygirl5 Thu 04-Jun-20 11:54:12

I did watch it last night but I also was not over impressed. I had to use subtitles because of the mumbling but I think I will watch it next week and see if it improves.

TerriBull Thu 04-Jun-20 09:18:16

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't rate this programme. Watched the first series thought it was dreary and violent, vaguely remember some poor person being taken hostage and locked up by a psychopath. Gave it another go, thought the 2nd one started off okay and then it descended into implausible rubbish. I'm not going to waste time on a third.

felice Thu 04-Jun-20 09:11:35

I watched it for the first time last night, it was ok, but the music was really weird, and it seems to be one of those programmes which is filmed in the dark.

I will give it another go next week.