Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Miriam Margolyes - Almost Australian

(47 Posts)
dontmindstayinghome Fri 24-Jul-20 22:24:44

What a fabulous programme. In the space of an hour I've gone from laughing out loud to being moved to tears and back again.

Miriam Margolyes is taking a road trip (in a campervan) across Australia in search of the Australian dream.

She is visiting different resident Australians - from the original ethnic aboriginal families to the refugees from Burma (and many others) to find out what they think is 'living the Aussie dream'.

Miriam Margolyes is an acquired taste, she can be blunt, foul-mouthed, often rude - with a coarse sense of humour - but also very caring and extremely self-deprecating.

I love her and find her absolutely hilarious.

Riveting watching - Can't wait for the next episode!

crazyH Fri 24-Jul-20 22:27:32

Great viewing ! Love Miriam Margolyes ?

merlotgran Fri 24-Jul-20 22:31:45

It was better than I thought it would be. MM is better fronting a programme on her own. She is too much of a show off in things like Marigold Hotel.

ginny Fri 24-Jul-20 22:32:03

I blow hot and cold with her but enjoyed the programme. Will certainly watch the next one.

Bluebellwould Fri 24-Jul-20 22:32:21

I once worked for someone who worked with her, he said she was a total nightmare. Kept going off script and trying to wind up her co workers. Batty as a box of frogs apparently.

Chewbacca Fri 24-Jul-20 22:37:12

What channel is this on please?

BlueBelle Fri 24-Jul-20 22:38:02

I love her programmes she is a deeply thoughtful person very clever and very articulate and very willing to look at things from angles different to what she expected
A very good programme with an excellent presenter

Callistemon Fri 24-Jul-20 22:44:46

I wondered why Almost Australian confused

Apparently her partner is Australian and Margolyes became an Australian citizen a few years ago, so she has dual nationality.
I will watch that - when DH is otherwise occupied. He can't stand her.

merlotgran Fri 24-Jul-20 22:45:55

BBC2, Chewbacca. You'll be able to catch up on iPlayer.

Chewbacca Fri 24-Jul-20 22:48:47

Thanks merlot.

Deedaa Fri 24-Jul-20 23:00:55

Still reeling from the sight of her driving that bloody great camper van at nearly 80! Lovely programme, but so depressing to see the endless drought.

cornergran Fri 24-Jul-20 23:18:42

An interesting programme. We both enjoyed it, although parts were incredibly sad. I hadn’t realised MM had dual nationality.

NfkDumpling Sat 25-Jul-20 06:59:10

DH laughed out loud (which he doesn’t do often) when she slammed the camper door and swore loudly about it. We have the same trouble with the door on our van. I love her programmes but I’m not sure I’d want to meet her, she’s such a loose cannon.

Calendargirl Sat 25-Jul-20 07:00:45

She certainly is an acquired taste. Yes, often rude, foul mouthed, peculiar, but obviously very intelligent, honest in her views, and shows great empathy at times.

Better on her own, going solo, than in a group such as the Marigold Hotel, where she tended to overpower some of the others.

Nearly forgot about this, glad I remembered to watch it.

Furret Sat 25-Jul-20 07:20:01

I love MM, she’s a breath of fresh air. Must watch on iPlayer.

gillybob Sat 25-Jul-20 07:38:24

I thoroughly enjoyed it too and watched it on iPlayer later last night. Felts so sorry for those farmers waiting for rain .

gillybob Sat 25-Jul-20 07:39:35

I think it’s the “loose cannon” but I like most about her NfkDumpling she says out loud what many of us might just think .

GrannyGravy13 Sat 25-Jul-20 08:32:58

We watched it and thought that she appeared to have great empathy with the people she was so asking to. Some laugh out loud moments and some very sobering stories. Looking forward to next week.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 25-Jul-20 08:41:26

It was so interesting. I knew there was often drought in Australia but didn't realise it was that bad. It must be heartbreaking to try to farm in those conditions. I do enjoy listening to her soft voice and cut glass accent - and then she comes out with something very rude.

Sparklefizz Sat 25-Jul-20 08:52:32

She is an acquired taste which I haven't acquired.

bikergran Sat 25-Jul-20 09:32:54

Really enjoyed the program, you never quite know what Miriam is going to come out with next !

Avery interesting lady.

I thought the elder lad on the farm was so mature and had a positive outlook.

Looking forward to next weeks episode, something to watch on a Friday evening.

Apricity Sat 25-Jul-20 09:36:00

As an Australian who has seen all the episodes of the series and been to (or near) many of the places she visits I have to say I thought it was absolutely terrific. I love the way MM just jumps in and asks the most intimate and often quite outrageous questions and establishes such a rapport with the people and places she visits. I also like the way she considers and reviews her own prejudices and preconceived views.

Do watch, sit back and enjoy the wonderful Australian landscape and people. And if MM is an acquired taste I've certainly acquired it. I think she is a (bi)national treasure.

DanniRae Sat 25-Jul-20 09:37:41

No thanks........ definitely not someone I enjoy watching shock

honeyrose Sat 25-Jul-20 09:42:08

My DH and I thoroughly enjoyed it - fascinating programme. He actually stayed awake throughout, which is almost a first! Yes - some very sad and poignant stories - very different to the Australian Dream! The young man from Afghanistan really touched me, as did the family farming in a drought ridden area that’s hasn’t seen rain for 3 years. MM is very intelligent, articulate and funny and says it like it is. She’s also very compassionate and can be gentle and thoughtful. Excellent programme. I also wondered why it was called “Almost Australian”?! Looking forward to next week’s programme. MM’s game girl - driving that van across parts of Australia at nearly 80 (although obviously she has the film crew with her).

ginny Sat 25-Jul-20 13:56:21

One thing I found interesting is that she always says that she doesn’t like children. However, she seems to get on with them well and they seem to take to her.