Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Miriam Margolyes - Almost Australian

(48 Posts)
dontmindstayinghome Fri 24-Jul-20 22:24:44

What a fabulous programme. In the space of an hour I've gone from laughing out loud to being moved to tears and back again.

Miriam Margolyes is taking a road trip (in a campervan) across Australia in search of the Australian dream.

She is visiting different resident Australians - from the original ethnic aboriginal families to the refugees from Burma (and many others) to find out what they think is 'living the Aussie dream'.

Miriam Margolyes is an acquired taste, she can be blunt, foul-mouthed, often rude - with a coarse sense of humour - but also very caring and extremely self-deprecating.

I love her and find her absolutely hilarious.

Riveting watching - Can't wait for the next episode!

EllanVannin Sat 25-Jul-20 14:02:37

She's my kind of person, doesn't wrap anything up.

EllanVannin Sat 25-Jul-20 14:08:48

Like her, I don't do sugar-coated and can see what others can't. She's a tough old bird and it's that that's got her where she is. A far-cry from the shrinking violets grin It's a tough world out there and the genteel approach is no longer applicable.

I've got worse as I've got older. Keeps the mind going.

Callistemon Sat 25-Jul-20 22:19:28

We've just watched it and both of us thoroughly enjoyed it, although it brought me to tears a couple of times.

I do hope that Muj gets citizenship but I know how difficult it can be even if entering Australia legally.
He epitomises all that is good about Australia and I hope the authorities realise that.

Callistemon Sat 25-Jul-20 22:26:51

Apricity do you know when this was filmed? Was it before or after your devastating fires?

EllanVannin Sat 25-Jul-20 22:37:12

It was Muj who made me cry, Callistemon. What a lovely young man. I couldn't help but think of some of the horrors in this country who take their lives for granted.
I really hope he gets his much wanted citizenship too after the horrendous start he had in life in Afghanistan then leaving alone bless him.

That other lovely family in the outback too who through the continuing drought have had to destroy some of their animals.

Then my own personal bone of contention, the treatment of the Aborigines.

Callistemon Sat 25-Jul-20 22:47:09

Sorry, I got it wrong, his name is Moj, I think.
Yes, he is enterprising and hardworking. I hope that Miriam doesn't forget him (I'm sure she won't) and that something positive will come out of this for him.

Apricity Sun 26-Jul-20 00:17:20

Callistemon, the dreadful bushfires were only last Australian summer so the series must have been filmed last year or even earlier to have been ready for distribution and screening this year. It was screened in Oz in May this year.

Luckygirl Sun 26-Jul-20 09:16:06

I watched on catch-up last night. Not sure what I thought about it - not as good as I had hoped. The dipping in and out of others' lives and feeling momentary compassion did not sit easy with me somehow - it felt slightly manipulative.

Jane10 Sun 26-Jul-20 09:29:58

I enjoyed this programme as I like Miriam and love to see travel documentaries about Australia. A thought struck me though, I bet she doesn't actually sleep in that campervan. There must be a sizeable camera and sound crew travelling with her.

Callistemon Sun 26-Jul-20 09:35:34

Apricity

Callistemon, the dreadful bushfires were only last Australian summer so the series must have been filmed last year or even earlier to have been ready for distribution and screening this year. It was screened in Oz in May this year.

Yes, I was there at the start of them, Apricity
As Miriam made no mention of them in this episode I thought it must have been filmed before.

Luckygirl some of it does seem rather contrived.
Is she trying to show the other side of what some see as 'The Australian Dream'? Because it is not a case of two sides, it is multi-faceted like most places and situations.

I did enjoy it more than I thought I would though.

Tangerine Sun 26-Jul-20 09:37:15

I think, when people say they don't like children, they mean they don't like them en masse.

It also means they don't cosy up to children which children may not like and that is why people who claim not to like them find that children take to them despite this.

I enjoyed the programme. Sometimes I like her and sometimes I don't. MM seems to say things for effect but I suppose, when you're making a programme, you sometimes need people to say outrageous things.

Jane10 Sun 26-Jul-20 11:29:14

Don't forget that hours will be filmed then heavily edited. It'll be the editors who choose the most sensational bits to use in the programme.

Elrel Sat 01-Aug-20 00:58:44

This thread prompted me to watch the next episode. Surprising, interesting, and touching. MM has her own original style, take it or leave it.

MayBee70 Tue 04-Aug-20 11:17:00

Watched some of it last night thanks to seeing this thread. Have to rewatch as I missed some of it and then lost internet connection. The bit where she was speaking to the young man in the shop had me in tears. I’m now wondering how the fires and now Covid have affected the people she met. She really does have a way with children: it’s probably because she talks to them as if they were adults, but adults that see the world in a different, more honest way.

Toadinthehole Tue 04-Aug-20 11:31:47

We watched this for ten minutes, and then switched off. We enjoyed the previous series where she was talking to people about body issues I think...but just couldn’t get into this one.

rixigim Wed 16-Sep-20 21:26:50

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

koyer Mon 12-Jul-21 23:20:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BlueBelle Tue 13-Jul-21 06:05:13

What does that mean koyer what movie ?we were talking a year ago about a documentary
Are you sure you are on the right thread ? this one is nearly a year old

nanna8 Sat 24-Jul-21 13:16:40

I remember going into pub in a small south Australian town a few years back and it started to rain. Everyone, including the barman, rushed out and cheered. They hadn’t seen rain for years. Taught us something.

Kestrel Sat 24-Jul-21 13:24:23

Will give it a go as like stuff re Australia but find it hard to watch her for long.

Witzend Mon 26-Jul-21 10:04:57

What channel was this on??

Nanna8, I had a similar experience when teaching English to young adults (mostly male) in Oman.

It so rarely rained, but on one February day when it did, they nearly all rushed out in the middle of a lesson, to dance joyfully in it.
They called it ‘Allah’s bounty’.

Lucca Mon 26-Jul-21 10:08:54

Witzend

What channel was this on??

Nanna8, I had a similar experience when teaching English to young adults (mostly male) in Oman.

It so rarely rained, but on one February day when it did, they nearly all rushed out in the middle of a lesson, to dance joyfully in it.
They called it ‘Allah’s bounty’.

Thread is a year old….