Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Des, ITV tonight, tomorrow and concludes Thursday.

(34 Posts)
phoenix Mon 14-Sep-20 21:49:58

Goodness, powerful drama, David Tennant is quite extraordinary as Dennis Nilsen.

If this is true to the actual investigation in the early stages, then the police seemed stunned by the way he reacted.

merlotgran Mon 14-Sep-20 21:56:11

They've wheeled out the big guns acting wise for this one.

Brilliant so far.

Charleygirl5 Mon 14-Sep-20 22:15:57

I thoroughly enjoyed it but yet again it was all so dark and gloomy.

Grannmarie Mon 14-Sep-20 22:17:32

Looking forward to it, I'll binge watch it when it's complete.
I've been a fan of David Tennant ever since the brilliant, funny and poignant Taking over the Asylum.

tanith Mon 14-Sep-20 22:41:15

Powerful stuff, David Tennant is very chilling in the role.

paddyanne Mon 14-Sep-20 22:57:03

I alwats know if David Tennant is in it its worth watching .This was excellent tonight .

Luckygirl Mon 14-Sep-20 23:00:26

I will catch up tomorrow. Not usually my sort of viewing but I will watch anything with Tennant in - he is brilliant.

lindiann Mon 14-Sep-20 23:03:55

He is in another series Secret Smile, based on a book by Nikki French he plays a good Psychopath

Eloethan Mon 14-Sep-20 23:52:57

I started to watch it, and agree the actors were very good, but it was just too grim for me and I decided not to continue.

notnecessarilywiser Tue 15-Sep-20 07:37:05

David Tennant, Jason Watkins and Daniel Mays - what a treat. As PPs have said, subject matter is grim, but thankfully we're not shown gruesome sights.

It struck me that although 1983 is relatively recent, the police were faced with a massively difficult task without the benefit of CCTV cameras and with DNA testing in its infancy.

Calendargirl Tue 15-Sep-20 07:47:10

Debated whether to watch it, but found it better than expected.
Cannot agree that everything David Tennant is in is marvellous, what about that drivel that was on last year, when he played a GP who killed his wife and family?
It was dire, can’t recall the title, but most GN’ers agreed.

Maggiemaybe Tue 15-Sep-20 08:28:26

It struck me that although 1983 is relatively recent, the police were faced with a massively difficult task without the benefit of CCTV cameras and with DNA testing in its infancy.

And having to study fingerprints and photos individually to get a match, instead of the computer doing it in seconds. Another world. I remember hearing that floors had to be reinforced because of the weight of paper statements in the Yorkshire Ripper enquiry.

joannapiano Tue 15-Sep-20 08:32:15

DH worked at this Police Station in the 80’s, so we were really interested to watch Des.

sodapop Tue 15-Sep-20 08:33:33

Chilling performance from Tennant because it was so matter of fact. I read that he spent quite a lot of time researching the story.
Must have been horrible for others living locally wondering what was in the drains.

Kate1949 Tue 15-Sep-20 09:51:37

David Tennant rarely fails to deliver.

glammanana Tue 15-Sep-20 10:42:23

How so true to life David Tennant comes across in this grim drama and such a sad story line for the families concerned.

Teetime Tue 15-Sep-20 11:54:00

Gripping!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 15-Sep-20 15:28:22

It was very good and I shall follow it each evening though I wonder what these dramas must be like for the families of the victims. It's not so long ago that they've all passed away and it must be doubly upsetting that their experiences are turned into entertainment.

TwiceAsNice Wed 16-Sep-20 10:14:20

I have recorded the first episode and haven’t seen it yet. I thought I’d try one as wasn’t sure I’d like it and record on catch up if I did. Was worried it would be really dark and I watch on my own

Charleygirl5 Wed 16-Sep-20 10:25:05

In 1983 I lived near there and passed Willesden Green police station frequently.

I am really looking forward to this night's episode. He is so matter of fact it is frightening.

Daddima Wed 16-Sep-20 11:04:09

Netflix has spoiled my viewing, as I don’t like waiting for the next episode!
I, too, really enjoyed this, and agree that David Tennant was superb.

fevertree Wed 16-Sep-20 17:04:19

I also think it is brilliant and deals more with the police procedures than the murders, thankfully.

I will admit being distracted though by Jason Watkins having brown hair and blonde eyebrows! You'd think the make-up department would have been on to that too smile

phoenix Wed 16-Sep-20 20:25:06

Agree with other posters, this is focussed on police procedures and the pschology, nothing gruesome depicted on screen at all.

I would highly recommend this.

There was also a very interesting article in Saturday's Telegraph magazine that includes an interview with Brian Masters, the author who interviewed Nilsen many times.

phoenix Wed 16-Sep-20 20:28:17

Psychology!

BlueBelle Wed 16-Sep-20 21:19:39

Having recently watched the documentary on Dennis neilson I m finding it a bit boring I think that’s just an overload thing and not the actual drama I think they shouldn’t have put both on in the same week
I much preferred the documentary but if I hadn’t have seen that so recently I would have enjoyed the drama I think