Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Des, ITV tonight, tomorrow and concludes Thursday.

(35 Posts)
phoenix Mon 14-Sep-20 21:49:58

Goodness, powerful drama, David Tennant is quite extraordinary as Dennis Nilsen.

If this is true to the actual investigation in the early stages, then the police seemed stunned by the way he reacted.

Oopsminty Wed 16-Sep-20 21:23:14

I'm with you, Bluebelle

I've just said to my husband I'm getting a bit bored of it, He gave me a look of disdain so I assume he is still gripped.

Maybe 90 minutes would have sufficed

BlueBelle Wed 16-Sep-20 22:01:56

So what does everyone think MAD or BAD ?

LauraNorder Wed 16-Sep-20 22:08:29

Mad or bad? Hard to say, he was evil but can we call anyone that evil a sane man?
What do you think BlueBelle?

Nannylovesshopping Wed 16-Sep-20 22:11:20

Completely and utterly evil, not mad

Smileless2012 Wed 16-Sep-20 22:22:57

I read the book when it first came out and thought this drama was excellent. David Tenant was brilliant, just oozed 'evil'.

I hadn't realised Brian Masters continued to visit Nilsen for a further 10 years and wonder if Mr. J.'s decision to leave the police 2 years after the conviction was due to the affect the case had on him.

BlueBelle Wed 16-Sep-20 22:56:30

Laurenorder It would need a more intelligent person that’s me to sort that one out ...he was clever and knew what he was doing but seemingly had no control over his reactions and yet seemed controlled in other ways
He was a complex character changing from caring to killing and back again Where does the line lie between bad and mad and can’t you be both ? I think he got the sentence he deserved but can someone with complete sanity cut and boil up body parts?
Complex man he didn’t have any hatred or reason to kill but to keep a body for months in your house is not the actions of a sane man surely In the documentary it made more of the fact that he had been very lonely as a child and couldn’t bear people to leave him so would kill to keep them His first homosexual partner did leave him and it seemed to stem from there
I don’t know where the line between sanity and insanity lies
It would have been good to do forensics on his brain after he died I watched a programme once where they looked at brains of killers and there was often a piece of the brain ( I can’t remember what part, that was over or under stimulated but definitely different anyway)
Interesting subject

paddyanne Wed 16-Sep-20 23:20:28

I thought it was very well made and acted and unusually for me I ended up in tears at all those lost young lives .David tennant was excellent as Nilsen ,the likeness was chilling .

Calendargirl Thu 17-Sep-20 06:52:33

Ironic that Peter Jay died just a short while before Nilsen, would have seemed fitting to have outlived him.

Luckygirl Sun 20-Sep-20 10:18:22

The acting from Tennant was astonishing - I watched the follow-up documentary and there were films of Nilsen speaking - Tennant had got him off to a T.

Was he mad or bad? Who knows? Presumably he was a psychopath - he fulfils the criteria. Nobody seems to know what causes this in spite of much research.

I am not sure what the law is now, but I remember being shocked as a student to learn that psychopaths could not be sectioned under the mental health act (because psychopathy is not a treatable mental illness) and the only way to get them off the streets was if they were convicted of a crime. I am not sure what the law is now.