Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Bake Off is back ?

(56 Posts)
MawB2 Wed 23-Sep-20 07:24:47

“Strictly” leaves me cold but you know it’s Autumn when Bake Off is back.
Despite my misgivings I really like the new line-up. As for the contestants, they will no doubt grow on me. But I wonder what planet my subconscious was on when I read Monday’s TV investigation title as
“Panorama - the baking habits of the rich and powerful“ - now that would be worth watching! gringrin

Pudding123 Wed 23-Sep-20 10:45:39

I watched it ,as a keen baker I just put my mind in neutral and enjoy it,I try not to pass judgement (Yet)
I think PH is good looking,great hair for a man of his age so all in all a bit of escapism from Covid.

SpringyChicken Wed 23-Sep-20 10:49:53

Mamma bear, get yourself a pvr and you can record programmes. Brilliant for skipping the ads. Or watch bake-off an hour later on C4+1.

EMMF1948 Wed 23-Sep-20 10:55:43

Am I alone in never having seen it and having no interest in it and all the other similar programmes, including the ghastly 'talent' shows? Cheap to make TV!

Libby65 Wed 23-Sep-20 11:01:24

I agree with Helgawils too much sugar involved.
Why not cut the calories in baking?
I do enjoy watching though.

CarlyD7 Wed 23-Sep-20 11:26:59

I liked Sandi Toksvig and would have preferred her to be replaced by another women (it's not like there's a shortage of us !!) Sorry but to me that's just more balanced.

DanniRae Wed 23-Sep-20 11:41:38

I am always amazed when someone takes the trouble to come on a thread, where everyone is clearly excited about the return of a favourite programme, to tell us that they have never seen it and have no interest in it or similar programmes!
What do you hope to achieve? Because, to be honest, I for one don't give a fig about what you don't like! hmm

TwiceAsNice Wed 23-Sep-20 11:58:32

Love Bake-off we all sit down and watch it as a family even the two 11 year old granddaughters. They have just started in Yr 7 and their cookery teacher sets her own challenge around what has been on bake off that week for students, teachers and parents to do , send in a photograph and win a prize.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 23-Sep-20 12:00:04

I haven't watched it yet as All Ceatures won the evening for me. I have recorded it for later though so look forward to seeing how Matt Lycas fits in, I just have a mental picture of him doing his very convincing slimming club lady saying everybody needs a bit if CAKE ? on Little Britain.
I stopped watching for a couple of years when it was on BBC as I couldn't stand Mel and Sue with their silly innuendos, or Hollywood with his bright blue (contacts?) stare, or even the saintly Mary Berry. Much prefer Prue, funny and feisty, Noel and loved Sandi but it's not intellectual enough for her long term. Still wish Hollywood would leave but he knows which side his bread is buttered so we're probably stuck with him.

toscalily Wed 23-Sep-20 12:31:52

DanniRae, totally agree with you. Why bother posting that you don't like something if never seen, perhaps to feel superior to us lesser mortals who dare to watch such trash?

I like Sandi, felt it was a better balance before and think they should have chosen another female presenter. I don't find Matt Lucas funny and think there were times last night when his comments were rather forced. I will continue to watch but always record so I can skip through all the adverts.

Thought it was a bit harsh giving them a cake bust to create in the first episode, sometimes something plainer and simpler can be just as enjoyable to create and eat if done well.

Gma29 Wed 23-Sep-20 13:34:58

I look forward to it, and really enjoy it, (not a fan of Noel at all, but never mind).

I agree that the cake ‘bust’ challenge was a bit OTT, and more about how creative/artistic the contestants could be with industrial quantities of icing, rather than actual baking skill.

GreenGran78 Wed 23-Sep-20 13:37:43

I haven’t watched Bake Off for a while, so I thought that I’d give the new series a try. I find the ‘gay silliness’ rather irritating, but Matt Lucas kept his toned down enough to be acceptable, and he certainly enjoyed sampling the products.
I agree that putting cream on to warm cakes was a recipe for disaster. Most of the battenburgs looked very pretty and tasty. The busts were a big challenge for a first episode, but certainly raised a smile.
The young man who was the overall winner did exceptionally well. I wonder how he will be with other kinds of bakes.

Luckylegs Wed 23-Sep-20 13:48:34

I didn’t like that they have to do such difficult bakes now. When Bake Off first started, I seem to remember they had to make just ordinary kinds of cakes and bakes, not these ridiculous concoctions and builds. It was interesting for us normal bakers to see what variation they dreamed up but with ideas for making them special. What on earth will they be tasked to do by the end of the series if that ludicrous one was on the first episode?

TanaMa Wed 23-Sep-20 14:20:25

Never watch these foodie programmes - beards without nets and hair everywhere - ugh .
I have always wondered what happens to all the food - my friend who watches tells me they often throw food in the bin if it doesn't turn out as they would like!!

rowyn Wed 23-Sep-20 14:37:46

Agree with the point that expectations for the first show were ridiculously high. They seem frightened to repeat anything which has been baked before, but shouldn't be.
Enjoy the escapism - never would I attempt baking anything on the show, but forget about real life for an hour, which i great.
Have to sat I can't stand Hollywood and I cringe when offers a handshake as though itwas the most precious gesture in the world, and even more when the recipient gets all overwhelmed and excited!!
Bring back Mary Berry!!!!!!!!

Jaxjacky Wed 23-Sep-20 14:37:55

I don’t bake, no point, neither of us much like sweet things, but I enjoy GBBO. At the moment any programme that’s not a repeat, or anything news/medical, is a joyous piece of escapism.

Alioop Wed 23-Sep-20 16:36:53

I really enjoyed it last night. Perfect pairing with Noel & Matt. The Autumn has arrived and the dark evenings won't be long behind it so we really need programmes like this on TV. The doom & gloom of the news at teatime and then later on Bake Off to cheer you up a bit(& make you hungry!).

joannapiano Wed 23-Sep-20 16:38:01

Me too, Jaxjacky. I have never baked a successful cake in my life, but it’s a lovely easy watch in these anxious times. Matt Lucas was better than I thought he would be.

BoBo53 Wed 23-Sep-20 16:57:31

I enjoyed Bake Off last night and the cake busts were hilarious- good escapism. Personally prefer Prue to Mary. As a Home Economist myself who worked for the Gas industry watching MB’s programmes and her constantly saying bake at 120/140/160 (or whatever) fan with no reference to other types of oven temperatures really wound me up, so irrationally I don’t like her!

Parsley3 Wed 23-Sep-20 17:33:59

I have just watched this and thoroughly enjoyed it. I caught Mr P watching it too although he was pretending to be engrossed in his iPad. I laughed out loud at the cake busts and I am pleased to see a range of ages this time. A good start.

Millie22 Wed 23-Sep-20 17:48:58

I laughed through that last challenge it was very funny. I wasn't sure about the new presenter but he was ok although I still find Paul Hollywood a bit smug.

Aepgirl Wed 23-Sep-20 18:23:39

I’m with you biba70, not because of PH’s debts of which I know nothing, but I just find him creepy. I hate his innuendos which should be only aired in the bike shed, but that creepy arm and hand when he gives a handshake

GreenGran78 Wed 23-Sep-20 18:50:46

For those who missed Sandy Toksvig the programme which followed GBBO was hosted by her, and was very interesting. Helping adults who have struggled with literacy all their lives, it was fascinating to see them finally beginning to get the hang of reading and writing. The poor man who is severely dyslexic is struggling, but was becoming less traumatised by the end of the first episode. I’m looking forward to seeing what the end results are.

Lollin Wed 23-Sep-20 18:59:56

Ditto Aepgirl
GreenGran78 thanks for bringing that to our attention I'll try to find it.

I'm another who is unsure about continuing to watch it. Why can't we have just ordinary cakes and not all this complex iced monstrosity especially so early on.

Helgawils do share your no butter etc carrot cake recipe pleeeaassee

travelsafar Wed 23-Sep-20 19:38:36

I watched it on catch up this afternoon. Perfect viewing for a wet Autumn afternoon. I loved it, it is good fun and i laughed out loud at some of the 'busts'.

Lins1066 Thu 24-Sep-20 08:20:43

I really like Bake Off and thought that Matt Lucas fitted in very well. I agree that it was nice to see a variety of ages and they seem a pleasant bunch.The choice of Battenberg cake for the first bake was very hard though. The technical challenge was hilarious and as a previous poster said, seemed to be more about the decoration than the bake.