Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Bake Off is back ?

(55 Posts)
MawB2 Wed 23-Sep-20 07:24:47

“Strictly” leaves me cold but you know it’s Autumn when Bake Off is back.
Despite my misgivings I really like the new line-up. As for the contestants, they will no doubt grow on me. But I wonder what planet my subconscious was on when I read Monday’s TV investigation title as
“Panorama - the baking habits of the rich and powerful“ - now that would be worth watching! gringrin

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Sep-20 07:26:55

I'm a bit sad that it's very 'man heavy' now.
Although I do like Matt.
I can live without Hollywood though!

YorkLady Wed 23-Sep-20 07:48:48

I love BakeOff. The new line up just works perfectly with Matt Lucas fitting in from the beginning smile..
Gives me an hour of relaxation and escapism, which we all need at the moment. Can’t wait for next week.

Calendargirl Wed 23-Sep-20 07:51:01

Forgot it was on. I suppose that shows how interested I am in a programme that seemed unmissable a few years ago, back when Nadia won.

Pantglas2 Wed 23-Sep-20 08:31:27

I watched it and enjoyed the opening scene especially! For me the presenters are a sideshow and I do respect the opinions of the judges.

The bakes are the most interesting part, I actually feel very nervous when the contestants complicate things and are rushing to get things finished in the allotted time!

biba70 Wed 23-Sep-20 08:35:49

EAch to their own- yes Nadia was great - but now it just leaves me cold. Too many series repeat, again and again.

biba70 Wed 23-Sep-20 08:37:29

Friends in Kent say they can't stand Hollywood as he had massive local debts in Canterbury when he went bankrupt- but never ever paid his debts once he could afford to do. Hearsay only, but- he give me the creeps.

Charleygirl5 Wed 23-Sep-20 08:37:36

I did not watch all of it but I did enjoy seeing Matt Lucas there as a presenter. I prefer the men to the ladies presenting I think.

MawB2 Wed 23-Sep-20 08:38:53

Pantglas I know! grin
Matt Lucas may have been “doing “ Boris, but he was a dead ringer for Michael Fabricant at the same time!

Dotty123 Wed 23-Sep-20 09:04:41

Drives me mad when some of the contestants have their hair drooping everywhere!

TerriBull Wed 23-Sep-20 09:08:13

I enjoyed the pairing of Noel and Matt like them both and Matt is really funny unlike Mel and Sue. Sue's okay when she does her travelogue progs but really couldn't stand the pair of them on Bake Off.

That head and bust task they gave the bakers was ridiculous imo

DanniRae Wed 23-Sep-20 09:11:24

I wasn't sure how Matt Lucas would fit in but I too feel he fitted in from the start.
So glad Bake Off is back but I do wish Paul Hollywood would leave - he just really gets on my nerves. hmm

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 23-Sep-20 09:18:44

It was enjoyable. The bakes get more outlandish each time, don't they? It's a shame that an ordinary two tier Victoria Sandwich is now considered a bit boring perhaps. Not in my house. I enjoy baking but I don't think I'll be attempting to make a bust of anyone.

Craftycat Wed 23-Sep-20 09:51:13

I used to love it but without Mary the newer version is a poor substitute & I gave up after the first episode.
I'll give it another go though.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 23-Sep-20 09:52:52

I was out for the day and forgot to record it, which means I have to watch it adverts and all!

NannyDaft Wed 23-Sep-20 09:54:11

Fantastic throughly enjoyed it

hicaz46 Wed 23-Sep-20 09:54:41

I haven’t watched it since Mary left and have no desire to do so.

Ailidh Wed 23-Sep-20 09:55:29

I've just watched it this morning. I enjoyed it apart from the alleged humour at the beginning, I could live without that.

I haven't learnt names yet but so far I'm rooting for Operaman, Star Baker, and the one who caused Cakegate.

Am hungry for cake now but also on a diet ?

inishowen Wed 23-Sep-20 10:12:20

I so enjoyed it. Matt Lucas is so funny. He samples the cake along with the judges. Sandy never did that. Already there is a young man who looks like a winner.

helgawills Wed 23-Sep-20 10:14:57

I wish they would not put so much emphasis on decorating and icing. In an obeisity crisis they should concentrate on healthy bakes, not make icing overload the acceptable norm. They should encourage fruit and veg use in their bakes, sweet or savoury. Also more nuts instead of butter, works in my butter and oil free carrot cake.

grannyscott Wed 23-Sep-20 10:18:36

Bake Off is getting worse. Now they have two nine year olds presenting who are both socially awkward-nice enough individuals. My biggest gripe though is they don’t give the bakers enough time to do a good job and so often we just see their mistakes. Asking them to top a cake with cream when there is no time to cool it first is ridiculous. It wouldn’t matter if they had longer time as it is all edited anyway.

mammabear Wed 23-Sep-20 10:20:08

Loved bake-off last night, big decision as to whether to watch or record as All creatures great and small was on channel 5 and I love that too.
But bake off won , I think star baker or cake gate will win, unless they can only bake cakes and not bread, biscuits etc..

jaylucy Wed 23-Sep-20 10:24:15

I can't remember the contestants being asked to make a cake sculpture on week one ever before, can anyone else?
It's a really difficult task that takes a lot of experience to do competently - or maybe they included it for the comedy value?
Still, Prue just about kept a straight face !!!

Suzan05 Wed 23-Sep-20 10:32:36

I enjoyed watching but agree with Grannyscott, not enough time to let the cakes cool and a sculpture cake seemed too difficult for week one. Think they needed more time to calm their nerves and settle in before baking a sculpture. Even so I'm looking forward to the rest of the series and seeing how everyone develops. Agree with jaylucy about Prue, how either of them kept a straight face I'll never know. ?

Betty18 Wed 23-Sep-20 10:43:19

I love bake off and am happy with Matt . Don’t shoot me but I have a niggle . I thought the show stopper challenge was just plain silly . It seemed to me to be just a way of making sure that funny ( odd looking?) cakes were dished up . It was too ambitious for a first outing and felt too contrived .... just me?