Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Amanda Holden's Dress BGT

(70 Posts)
avitorl Sat 26-Sep-20 23:13:15

Watching Britain's Got Talent tonight had me watching Amanda Holden's dress more than the Acts.It was so low cut and looked so uncomfortable that I wonder why she would want to wear clothes like that on a TV show. At first I thought her nipples were exposed and then I realised it was wires holding the dress in position ,digging into her breasts giving that appearance.
It seems inappropriate for a family show and I wish the costume department would have a rethink when dressing her and Alyisha Dixon. Perhaps it's me getting old?

Dinahmo Sun 27-Sep-20 19:02:24

paddyanne

Bitchy ..or what.She looks fantastic and not just for her age ,she's entitled to wear what she likes surely as are we.Have none of you worn a low cut gown or a split to an event? Shame that ,its lovely getting all dressed up and feeling you look your best .Helen Mirren is a good 20 years older than Amanda Holden ,I wouldn't wear her style and I'm nearer her age .

Take a look at Helen Mirren then. The green dress I referred to is body con but there is no flesh exposed.

I genuinely don't think that Amanda Holden looks fantastic. It is lovely getting dressed up and flaunting but one has to realise that there are younger women out there than AH who would probably look better than she does. Alesha Dixon's choice of dresses is generally much better IMHO

Fuchsiarose Sun 27-Sep-20 19:42:21

Who cares? I certainly dont. I dont watch stuff like that. Too boring

NotTooOld Sun 27-Sep-20 19:55:08

That dress looks very uncomfortable to me, as do the very high heels. I bet her contract specifies glamorous attire. Perhaps she would rather be wearing a t-shirt, jeans and plimsols. I know I would.

paddyanne Sun 27-Sep-20 20:11:38

Maybe just accept everyone has a different opinion about what they wear.I wear high heels every day ,even my boots have 4 inch heels and I'm 66 .Not your style? Thats fine but dont tell me what I wear is uncomfortable or inappropriate ,its my choice and I wouldn't dream of commenting /criticising another womans clothes .Personally I think flat shoes are very frumpy ...but thats just my opinion .

Oopsminty Sun 27-Sep-20 20:12:06

Crikey, DinahMo!

I genuinely don't think that Amanda Holden looks fantastic. It is lovely getting dressed up and flaunting but one has to realise that there are younger women out there than AH who would probably look better than she does.

Who is this one who has to realise that there are younger women that look better?

I think she looks fabulous myself but of course ,what's one man's meat is another man's poison!

But this programme is just fluff and nonsense. Each week they wear more and more incredible dresses.

It all helps with publicity for a programme that's probably well past its best

Galaxy Sun 27-Sep-20 20:14:17

I think she looks stunning. I wish I looked like that.

rafichagran Sun 27-Sep-20 21:03:03

I really dont care what she wears, and age has got nothing to do with it, she has a nice figure.
Personally I did not like the dress, but I would not like it on a younger person, it looked uncomfortable, but as Paddy said one man's meat is another ones poison.
Unlike Paddy I like flat shoes and am definatly not frumpy but arthritis stops me wearing heels. What it boils down to is personal taste, and accepting we are all different, nobody should be subject to some of the comments I have read here about about AH especially the one's about her age.

Curlywhirly Sun 27-Sep-20 21:37:20

I don't watch BGT, so googled the dress. It did look uncomfortable and I wasn't keen on it. Nothing to do with her being too old to wear it, she is well preserved for her age and can carry off wearing risque dresses, but why you would want to keep showing your boobs just escapes me. It is after all a family show, and wearing dresses (this is not the first time) that expose too much flesh just isn't appropriate.

Lucca Sun 27-Sep-20 21:39:46

Genuinely don’t watch it but DS put it on just before the end, never mind the dress we all said the enhanced lips were mildly ridiculous!

honeyrose Mon 28-Sep-20 00:26:21

I’ve just watched BGT (well, 5 minutes of it!) to see what all the fuss is about with Amanda Holden’s dress. I’d say she’s gone about as far as she can go, cleavage-wise and it didn’t look good IMO. It did look like her nipples were showing, but I think it was just shadows or microphones. The dress looked very uncomfortable. Amanda certainly doesn’t go by the maxim of less is more. Time to change your stylist, Amanda! She’s a beautiful woman with a lovely figure, but why does she feel the need to put all the goods in the shop window. Alisha Dixon looked far more elegant. Amanda’s dress was really not appropriate for a family show. Attention seeking.

Franbern Tue 29-Sep-20 12:11:14

Wow!!! did not watch this as I have always found this show boring in the extreme.

However, what right has anyone to comment on what someone else wears (or, even nearly wears).

Be a good idea to get away from the idea that the top part of female torso is sexy (not males's obviously) then perhaps more woman will feed their small babies as nature intended.

Whatever, her dress has got more publicity for this show than it deserves.

Bridgeit Sun 04-Oct-20 20:18:14

We pass comments & opinions all the time about what we like & dislike.
It’s not right or wrong , but sometimes it can be a bit harsh.
Personally I thought the dress would have looked more attractive on AH if it had been cut a bit higher.
It didn’t look at ease if you know what I mean , Squashed flesh isn’t always a good look.

GagaJo Sun 04-Oct-20 20:30:03

I can't bear the woman. She's such a social climber/pathetic attention seeker.

Grandma2213 Mon 05-Oct-20 03:01:17

I am not a great fan of hers and I don't even recognise her face anymore. However I tuned in for a few minutes tonight and had to laugh. She was actually performing wearing a high necked, long sleeved, fitted white dress which looked lovely. She also sang very well without shrieking or twiddling around the notes. I have to admit I was quite impressed. Credit where credit's due!!

avitorl Mon 05-Oct-20 12:18:55

I agree, I thought the white,high necked dress made her look years younger than the dress she wore in her judging role.
I enjoyed her singing too

trustgone4sure Mon 05-Oct-20 12:33:00

I`m with you 100% Avitor1.
Totaly inappropriate for a family show.
They certainly love themselves,well someone has to !.
Stopped watching it long ago for that very reason.

Chewbacca Mon 05-Oct-20 12:55:28

I didn't know that AH could sing? You live and learn......!

Lollin Mon 05-Oct-20 15:33:20

I wonder what professional singers thought. For me her singing was very measured for want of a better word, but I could almost tell when the next "breath here" part was coming up. Easy on the ear though and I would like to be able to sing as well.

Anyway I agree wardrobe did much better woth the white dress simplicity far better.

FannyCornforth Mon 05-Oct-20 15:41:28

AH actually is a 'professional singer'.
She is a talented musical theatre actor as I said upthread.
She was nominated for an Olivier award in 2014 for her starring role in Thoroughly Modern Millie.
(Standing up for Amanda Holden - shoot me now! smile)