Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Life

(65 Posts)
farview Wed 30-Sep-20 10:55:24

Did anyone watch it last night? BBC1 9pm....I quite enjoyed it.....mainly because I really like Alison Steadman

Sparklefizz Wed 30-Sep-20 11:18:16

I don't like her much but she is a good actor so I plan to watch it this afternoon on iPlayer.

Teetime Wed 30-Sep-20 11:40:15

Oh yes I really liked that. AS's character resonated with me as a I stare 70 in the face.

Alegrias Wed 30-Sep-20 11:44:15

I liked it too. I thought Alison Steadman's story was the best then the English lecturer's story really took me by surprise. No spoilers smile. Looking forward to the next episode.

Kate1949 Wed 30-Sep-20 11:50:16

I enjoyed this too.

Calendargirl Wed 30-Sep-20 12:29:56

Used to like Alison Steadman (Anyone remember P’tang Yang Kipperbang?), but she over acted dreadfully as Mrs Bennett in Pride and Prejudice, and as for the dire Hold The Sunset.....mind you, that wasn’t her, no one could have made anything of that awful so called comedy.

Maggiemaybe Wed 30-Sep-20 12:36:51

I don’t care for Alison Steadman, I think she’s a tendency to over-act (her portrayal of Mrs Bennett ruined Pride and Prejudice for me).

But I will give this a try, once we’re done with Honour, The Shipman Files, Us, and the old series of The Bridge and Line of Duty we’re working through.

So much telly, so little time.

Maggiemaybe Wed 30-Sep-20 12:38:15

Snap, Calendargirl!

Washerwoman Wed 30-Sep-20 13:18:14

Maybe I should give this a go.I don't know why but increasingly I have found AS irritating but possibly it is the roles she has been given.And totally agree with the Pride and Prejudice comments.That was the start of her annoying me I think.But the reviews this morning say she is the best character in Life.

Sparklefizz Wed 30-Sep-20 16:15:16

Well, I have just watched episode 1 and despite not being a fan of Alison Steadman, I loved it! Found it very moving. Will definitely watch the rest of it.

travelsafar Wed 30-Sep-20 16:25:54

Anyone else notice that shade of blueygreen that everyone is wearing smile

Grannynannywanny Wed 30-Sep-20 16:30:40

I really enjoyed it and I’m looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds.

Nanoo15 Wed 30-Sep-20 16:46:09

I thoroughly enjoyed it and can’t stop wondering where exactly the AS character was going to escape to? I might have gone with her!

shysal Wed 30-Sep-20 17:09:45

I thoroughly enjoyed it and plan to keep watching. It is written by the author of Doctor Foster and apparently the character Belle is based on the one called Anna(belle) in that story.
The remaining episodes are available on the iplayer. Not sure whether I shall watch it straight away or wait for each week's programme.

Calendargirl Wed 30-Sep-20 22:05:26

Just watched it on I Player. Not as good as the trailers suggested it would be. Seemed to be throwing all the characters in at once.
Found the baby storyline rather daft really.

MawB2 Wed 30-Sep-20 22:32:52

There was a huge build up, anyone fee ,it was worth it?

MawB2 Wed 30-Sep-20 22:33:07

“Feel”

Gingster Wed 30-Sep-20 22:38:34

Yes I enjoyed it and will look forward to watching it each week. I’ve always loved
Alison Steadman but did think she overacted a bit in this.

suziewoozie Wed 30-Sep-20 22:42:36

Disappointed and so many inconsistencies - they got in the way of the main storylines eg how did AS know the bloke in the van was Andy? Would you really recognise someone after 50 + years? When AL decided to come home early from his hols, how come he went to take his class the next day? How come AS didn’t seem to know anything about the scan? How come the neighbour didn’t know about AL’s wife - there are only 4 flats? Why were AS and dh living in a flat and not a naice detached house?

I couldn’t really engage with any of them - don’t think I’ll bother further

Calendargirl Thu 01-Oct-20 07:24:47

suziewoozie

Disappointed and so many inconsistencies - they got in the way of the main storylines eg how did AS know the bloke in the van was Andy? Would you really recognise someone after 50 + years? When AL decided to come home early from his hols, how come he went to take his class the next day? How come AS didn’t seem to know anything about the scan? How come the neighbour didn’t know about AL’s wife - there are only 4 flats? Why were AS and dh living in a flat and not a naice detached house?

I couldn’t really engage with any of them - don’t think I’ll bother further

Yes SW, I agree with all you say.
What a coincidence that the girl who fancied the teacher just happened to be in his new class!
And AS just managed to not run over the old school friend, who I kept thinking it would turn out they had been lesbian lovers 50 years previously, but no, wrong on that.
And I couldn’t follow the baby story. So she ended up pregnant after a drunken one night stand with Andy, but either soon got herself a new boyfriend or he was agreeable to bringing up baby, but she still seemed to keep in touch with Andy, who was really keen to contribute to the results of his one night stand. Admirable, but a silly storyline.

Alegrias Thu 01-Oct-20 08:21:54

It's fiction. Situations made up to tell a story. Go with the flow!

kittylester Thu 01-Oct-20 08:29:18

I enjoyed it. It is fiction after all!

Though I did wonder where the 'naice house' was suziewoozie but maybe we'll find out.

There is a house just like that one that has been made into flats near us. I will look on it with renewed interest now!!

suziewoozie Thu 01-Oct-20 09:59:01

Alegrias the flow for me was interrupted by the huge continuity and plot holes. Fiction and dramatic licence is one thing but totally ridiculous and unbelievable is another

Kitty it’s set in Manchester. My point was that the AS couple would surely have been living in a naice house in Didsbury.

kittylester Thu 01-Oct-20 10:06:05

suzie, I understood your point. I too wondered why they had no big house of their own - maybe we will find out.

Alegrias Thu 01-Oct-20 10:41:05

Each to their own smile Some will like one thing, some like another.

I like science fiction and fantasy, my FIL used to say, "but it could never happen, could it". We never agreed!