Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Is Netflix worth paying for?

(103 Posts)
avitorl Sun 04-Oct-20 17:34:50

Covid means I'm not going out much and I'm wondering if I should get Netflix?
Advice very welcome.

Jane10 Sun 04-Oct-20 17:52:20

Yes. Try the months free trial and see what you think.

Bathsheba Sun 04-Oct-20 17:59:36

In my opinion definitely worth it. My DH pays for a full Sky subscription because he likes the sports channels, but if it were just me on my own I wouldn't bother with any of that. I rarely watch terrestrial TV, other than the news, because Netflix and Amazon Prime between them provide more than enough choice for me.

(But I am grateful for the Sky subscription, because it means I still have my DH around wink)

fevertree Sun 04-Oct-20 18:06:16

Bathsheba it's the same in the house. I like Netflix because the emphasis is on entertainment, which is what I want when I sit down to watch something. We don't even watch the news on terrestrial TV.

Just spent the afternoon happily knitting and watching Elsewhere, a Canadian film on my laptop, whilst husband is downstairs watching golf on Sky, only occasionally appearing in the doorway to offer me tea smile. I recommend the film by the way it was great.

I would definitely say Netflix is worth paying for.

Oopsadaisy4 Sun 04-Oct-20 18:52:31

Absolutely yes.
We only watch the News on terrestrial TV, our ACs also watch Netflix using our account.

Even the Sky channels leave a lot to be desired lately.

Grannynannywanny Sun 04-Oct-20 19:05:08

avitorl it might be worth checking if any family members have Netflix as you may be able to share their account. My tv is signed into my son’s account.

vegansrock Sun 04-Oct-20 19:15:46

Its a yes from me. For the price of a bottle of wine it’s great value .

Lucca Sun 04-Oct-20 19:17:39

Yes. Please don’t be influenced by people who think/assume it is all rubbish programmes. It is not !

Gfplux Sun 04-Oct-20 19:56:35

We both like drama and hate reality programs so Netflix is well worth it as a supplement to terrestrial television.

Smileless2012 Sun 04-Oct-20 19:58:27

Oh yes absolutely; Netflix is brilliant.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 04-Oct-20 19:58:48

We signed up about 4 months ago and haven’t found anything we want to watch in the last 2 months. Perhaps too picky.

Sar53 Sun 04-Oct-20 20:36:39

We signed up at the beginning of lockdown and have watched a few good series and most evenings we watch a film, some good, some not so good.
For £5.99 A month I think it's well worth it. We have Amazon Prime too.
Sky is so expensive. The only thing we both miss is sport that can only be watched on Sky or BT Sport. It's a yes from me.

Craicon Sun 04-Oct-20 20:38:22

I think Netflix is excellent value and particularly enjoy watching all the foreign language subtitled crime dramas. It started off with Nordic Noir but we’ve watched some really good French, Japanese and even Korean dramas.

I find being stuck at home and unable to travel, it gives us a glimpse of other cultures that we aren’t able to enjoy in real life at the moment.

Amazon Prime is also quite good with Bosch being my favourite series on there.

Lucca Mon 05-Oct-20 08:13:48

Greeneyedgirl

We signed up about 4 months ago and haven’t found anything we want to watch in the last 2 months. Perhaps too picky.

What sort of thing do you like?

Hetty58 Mon 05-Oct-20 08:33:34

avitorl, give it a try! I find it very good.

Oopsminty Mon 05-Oct-20 08:35:15

Greeneyedgirl

Try My Octopus Teacher!

It's amazing.

Oopsminty Mon 05-Oct-20 08:36:03

I love Netflix. We have Sky and now BritBox.

We tend to watch more on Netflix. It really does have anything and everything.

Missfoodlove Mon 05-Oct-20 09:12:35

For the Crown alone the subscription is worth every penny.
It is the best series I have ever seen.
I would not hesitate.

Grannynannywanny Mon 05-Oct-20 09:25:10

I watched another 3 episodes of Schitt’s Creek last night On Netflix. It’s very funny. Catherine O’Hara ( who played the mother in Home Alone movies) is hilarious. An award winning Canadian sit com about a wealthy couple and their 2 adult kids who lose everything and are forced to locate to a town called Schitt’s Creek which they bought years ago as a joke. Sounds silly but it really is very funny.

travelsafar Mon 05-Oct-20 09:25:56

We have netflix and Prime. I use both everyday. I also use catch up TV if something catches my eye in the TV mag. On the whole we both see the cost of NF and Primes or entertainment for 2 per month great value. Especially as now with Covid, all my social activities have ceased, i am not spending money each week on fees.

Luckygirl Mon 05-Oct-20 09:30:43

I would second the idea of seeing if you can piggyback on a friend or relative's sub to netflix. I get mine free via my DD's.

Netflix is better than amazon prime, who charge for some things you can get free on netflix.

henetha Mon 05-Oct-20 09:53:35

At £5.99 a month, less than the price of a cinema ticket, I get to see as many films or series as I want. Netflix is brilliant value.

shysal Mon 05-Oct-20 09:58:09

I sign up for a month when I notice a series that I want to see then opt out until the next time. Easy to do with one click.

LadyBella Mon 05-Oct-20 10:03:05

You can actually share it. I pay for it for us and also for my GS in another household. So that makes it quite cheap. I think it probably is worth it considering how much you'd pay for a DVD.

Jane43 Mon 05-Oct-20 10:04:32

Absolutely yes. Some people claim all the programmes are trash but this is far from true if you look carefully and follow the recommendations of others. We watch terrestrial tv so little now we recently downgraded our TV and Internet package to £24 a month. If there is a decent drama or documentary on one of the mainstream Channels we watch them on catch up. You do need a decent Internet connection though. It’s a shame they stopped the month’s free trial but there is no contract, you can stop it any time. I agree that just being able to watch all series of The Crown were worth the subscription and am looking forward to the next series coming up soon.