Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

New drama Life

(39 Posts)
Ngaio1 Thu 08-Oct-20 21:39:35

I am thoroughly enjoying this new drama. Sterling performances by Almost everyone! Does anyone else agree, though, the the "love interest" for Adrian Lester is terribly miscast? He plays a well educated, gentle man going through a trauma - surely to high heaven she would not fall for a tarty female (with excessive lip-filler) who sounds like a corncrake?! Does anyone else agree?

Calendargirl Mon 02-Nov-20 15:45:57

Just watched the final episode.
Thought the whole series was nothing special.
Surely there won’t be a follow up?

Calendargirl Thu 29-Oct-20 06:57:16

She is ‘Helen’ who the poorly husband had the affair with BlueBelle.

BlueBelle Thu 29-Oct-20 06:53:55

Which is a Elaine Paige ?

Eloethan Wed 28-Oct-20 23:57:56

The storylines weren't very plausible and I agree it was cliched - but I have to admit I found it entertaining.

MayBee70 Wed 28-Oct-20 17:11:19

I’ve never seen The Crown. Belles was the only storyline that was plausible I think. I got confused though cause I was talking tv with my cousin and he said Belle was his favourite character but we were both watching Ghosts at the same time and I thought he meant Belle from Ghosts. I like it when a character that you don’t warm to at first becomes your favourite at the end.

MawB2 Wed 28-Oct-20 13:23:12

MayBee70

Yes: Belle was my favourite too.

She is good isn’t she?
In my mind’s eye though I still see her as the Queen Mum in the firs two series of The Crown! Hear hear to the praise for the music.
I think this is definite Box Set material to enjoy again and again.
(I shall never see Peter Davison in the same light. again though. He was lovely as Tristan Farnon, even as Dr Who. What do you mean he was only acting?)

Atqui Wed 28-Oct-20 12:34:17

Which one was Elaine Paige? So sad when Gail packed her new clothes away in a box.... I just thought “ yes you’ ll be put back in yours by your husband “ . If only she’d left him earlier , but who am I to talk! Let’s hope she can spread her wings when he’s gone.

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 28-Oct-20 11:55:39

Awww, I remember, the Amy Winehouse lookalike was it?

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 28-Oct-20 11:54:48

Which one had the lip fillers? I can’t think of them now.

Ziggy62 Wed 28-Oct-20 10:32:58

I enjoyed it BUT was really disappointed that the writers didnt research Pancreatic cancer fully. My husband died from the disease 13 years ago this week and 6 months before he certainly wasnt drinking wine and eating birthday cake.

Other than that I thought it was very good

honeyrose Thu 22-Oct-20 08:19:16

Yes - those lip fillers are a bit much. Looks like she’s been stung by a bee! I’m loving “Life” and have just watched episode 5 on iPlayer so still have the finale to watch. I love it - some great acting by Alison Steadman (always love her) and Peter Davison and several of the others characters. Elaine Paige - never seen her in a drama before - not bad acting! Some very discordant people and relationships in that block of apartments! David (Adrian Lester) was seduced by bee sting lips when he was at a very low ebb - she pretty much threw herself at him! He could’ve resisted - but didn’t. Love the music - pretty heavy, but atmospheric. I think i’ve probably worked out how it will all end for the characters in Life!

pensionpat Thu 22-Oct-20 08:17:59

I couldn’t agree more about the casting of Adrian Lester

Calendargirl Thu 22-Oct-20 06:48:56

Can’t stand the woman with the lip fillers

And here was me thinking, ‘Poor thing, having such awful thick lips!’

?

Shirleyw Thu 22-Oct-20 06:10:41

Thoroughly enjoyed it, watched them all on Iplayer......yes. Alison Steadman and Peter Davison played their parts very well indeed.

Get some good ideas of what to watch on here...thankyou.

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 22-Oct-20 00:26:21

There’s been another thread about Life and a few said how good the music is.

I loved the series and the music which is by Elbow. IMO very well written poignant lyrics and sung by writer and lead singer Guy Garvey.

I do appreciate that we all have different tastes but I really enjoyed it.

MayBee70 Wed 21-Oct-20 22:46:37

Yes: Belle was my favourite too.

BlueBelle Wed 21-Oct-20 22:21:26

I m loving it too but I do like Belle I think she looks like a young Judi Dench and such a lovely figure
Do you know I never hear the music in dramas I suppose I m concentrating on the story as it completely passes me by
This is the best drama around at the moment for me and enjoying it very much

grannyrebel7 Wed 21-Oct-20 22:14:03

Love this series. Best thing that's been on TV for ages. The Alison Steadman/Peter Davison story is by far the best, but I also like the couple with the baby, but you just know what's going to happen there. Can't stand the woman with the lip fillers or the one with the very short hair who likes a drink.

farview Wed 21-Oct-20 21:10:49

...just watched episode 4 on catch up...Cant believe how upset am feeling..I'm actually married to one of the characters

Grandmafrench Sun 18-Oct-20 14:39:41

Thoroughly enjoyed it and never tire of Alison Steadman.
BUT the "music". It's a long time since I have heard such endless discordant noise used as an almost constant soundtrack. Just the music accompanying the opening titles was enough to deter viewers, I should think.

Shelmiss Sun 18-Oct-20 14:26:39

Gave up after two episodes. So full of cliches and unlikeable people I thought.

Kandinsky Sun 18-Oct-20 11:54:47

The only couple / characters I was interested in were Alison Steadman & Peter Davison, not only because they’re great actors ( a lot of the others were a bit wooden ) but their story was the only one that was believable.
I must admit I cried at their last scene together ( big softy that I am )

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 18-Oct-20 10:30:15

Take it back?. The last two episodes were predictable, and it just went flat. Still enjoyed it though, if that makes sense?

FlexibleFriend Sat 17-Oct-20 17:26:26

I've watched it all and found it pretty predictable and decidedly average.

ginny Sat 17-Oct-20 17:15:30

I’m enjoying it. I suspect there are a number of 60 plus ladies that feel very similar to Alison Steadmans character.