Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

OMG Paxo’s hair!

(66 Posts)
MawB2 Mon 26-Oct-20 20:38:17

Tonight’s University Challenge - shock horror, Jeremy Paxman is sporting floppy locks à la Robert Peston.

Whoever told him that was a good look?

Callistemon Mon 26-Oct-20 23:22:33

MayBee70

It was recorded ages ago: perhaps hairdressers were still not working then?

Are you sure, Maybee? The contestants have their COVID- proof screens between them.

Yes, I wanted to get out my scissors and have a good hack at his hair. It aged him dreadfully.

Mind you, one look at my hair and he'd run a mile because I cut it myself today and it's very wonky at the back.

Callistemon Mon 26-Oct-20 23:23:36

grannysyb

We love it, managed to answer a few questions!

Yes, so did I tonight! Even DH was impressed ?

MayBee70 Tue 27-Oct-20 00:25:44

I did (unusually) ) really well last week but was back to normal this week. Used to get one right most weeks by answering every question with ‘Oscar Wild’ but they don’t seem to have Oscar Wild answers as much these days, although he did crop up a while back. I was amazed by those Van Gogh paintings: I’d never seen them before.

MissAdventure Tue 27-Oct-20 00:27:34

I even understand the questions, occasionally.

BBbevan Tue 27-Oct-20 03:58:15

First thing we noticed and remarked on too. Mind you we had just done Mastermind and Only Connect, so needed a bit of light relief

Ashcombe Tue 27-Oct-20 06:08:40

Yes, BBbevan Monday evenings are rather a quiz fest! Do any of you ladies watch Richard Osman's House of Games? (BBC2 at 6.00 pm each evening or on iPlayer.) I like the quirkiness of the questions.

Ashcombe Tue 27-Oct-20 06:15:56

Found a recent photo on Twitter for those of you who missed the programme.

Ashcombe Tue 27-Oct-20 06:21:12

And here he is again, complete with yellow tinge!

Beechnut Tue 27-Oct-20 06:37:03

MayBee70, I answer all the music questions with Rachmaninoff/Rachmaninov ?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Oct-20 06:51:21

I haven’t watched for ages!

Looking at the photos, I think he just looks as if he is like me sliding gently into old age??. More of an ageing professor look.

Urmstongran Tue 27-Oct-20 06:53:21

I thought exactly the same Ww!

Nortsat Tue 27-Oct-20 07:19:06

Great thread Maw really made me smile and then when I saw the picture I laughed out loud.

Actually he looks exactly like my first year tutor at University 35 years ago ... that made me laugh some more ...

Callistemon Tue 27-Oct-20 10:23:13

His hair is starting to look very similar to that MP's, Michael Fabricant.

Or is that a wig?

MayBee70 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:31:14

During lockdown the highlight of our day would be having a slice of banana bread and doing the Times quiz. I have answered only one Only Connect question ever. And sympathise with MissAdventure. I spend most of UC saying I don’t even understand the question. What is annoying is when I do actually know the answer but can’t remember it ( if that makes sense) eg REM the other week. I was going ‘you know, Michael Stipes lot’.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:36:50

MayBee70

During lockdown the highlight of our day would be having a slice of banana bread and doing the Times quiz. I have answered only one Only Connect question ever. And sympathise with MissAdventure. I spend most of UC saying I don’t even understand the question. What is annoying is when I do actually know the answer but can’t remember it ( if that makes sense) eg REM the other week. I was going ‘you know, Michael Stipes lot’.

I think that is an age thing. I can see the answer I can see the face or book etc but buggered if I can remember the word. Like doing crosswords. It drives me mad.

Callistemon Tue 27-Oct-20 10:42:01

I solved one of the walls last night shock
And am I showing my age when I say Dixon of Dock Green was obvious?
If I was given 15 minutes for each question I might get there in the end.

Callistemon Tue 27-Oct-20 10:44:59

I can see the answer I can see the face or book etc but buggered if I can remember the word

I find going through the alphabet helpful, sometimes when I get to the right letter I remember the word or someone's name.

Teetime Tue 27-Oct-20 10:46:40

JP is my fantasy male - I know dont shout! well he is but is the new hairdo for the new girlfriend? Terrible if it is she might be too young for him.

HootyMcOwlface Tue 27-Oct-20 10:48:03

The yellow tinge might be due to studio lights (to give him the benefit of the doubt). The style though, OMG he looks a right ninny. Puts me in mind of Michael Foot.

Callistemon Tue 27-Oct-20 10:48:44

I won't shout but I will say he's not mine.
He looks like hard work.

Puzzler61 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:50:34

Lucca it’s a good job we don’t all fancy the same men. JP is not my cup of tea but clearly he’s yours.
Some of the contestants have - shall we say ‘different’ hair styles and clothing trends going on. I guess when you’re that intelligent it doesn’t matter (tongue in cheek) ?

MayBee70 Tue 27-Oct-20 13:07:13

Callistemon

^I can see the answer I can see the face or book etc but buggered if I can remember the word^

I find going through the alphabet helpful, sometimes when I get to the right letter I remember the word or someone's name.

I 'm now imagining someone on the show doing that....I'm always relieved when someone gets a starter question wrong, loses points and then gets another one right as doing something like that would haunt me for the rest of my life.

JackyB Tue 27-Oct-20 13:21:29

I saw it too. His hair was definitely yellow and I preferred the first pair of glasses he wore the other week.

I did answer some of the questions though. It gives me a warm feeling if I get one wrong but the contestants get it wrong with the same answer!

Parsley3 Tue 27-Oct-20 13:33:08

I think his manner towards the contestants has softened and there is a glimpse of a sense of humour but I don’t think the hair and glasses flatter the shape of his face.
I am in with a shout with the literature questions but not much else.

sparklingsilver28 Tue 27-Oct-20 13:39:59

I simple thought he'd been in a wind tunnel!