Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Emily in Paris on Netflix

(48 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 03-Nov-20 08:16:04

Just finished watching this series, lighthearted and fun to watch. I really enjoyed the outfits she wore, stiking and stylish, perfect for Gay Paree!!! A little bit of nonsence in this troubled world. smile

Lucca Tue 03-Nov-20 08:25:16

I decided not to watch as I read a review From a trusted source which describes it as schmaltzy cheesy twee etc !!!

Ellianne Tue 03-Nov-20 08:42:52

Oooh la la, it's on my lockdown list!

Oopsadaisy4 Tue 03-Nov-20 08:46:14

You’re right travelsfar every cliche you can imagine, but quite fun, we enjoyed it.
Just suspend your disbelief and enjoy the clothes and the sights of Paris.

I never, ever, let a so called expert lead me to watch or avoid a programme, I figure 5 minutes previewing something isn’t going to kill me, and I seem to have plenty of ‘5 minutes’ to spare at the moment!

Jane10 Tue 03-Nov-20 09:22:36

Oopsadaisy- good point. I'd not watched this as it looked a bit silly but will give it a try.
I don't have much time though between 'Riviera' series 3, 'Queens Gambit', 'Schitts Creek', 'Harlots', plus all my soaps I'm just about at my max for TV viewing!

Bathsheba Tue 03-Nov-20 09:29:52

Oh I'm watching Queen's Gambit at the mo Jane10. Terrific series isn't it! I'm also watching the latest season of This is Us, which is so schmaltzy, but so addictive!

Jane10 Tue 03-Nov-20 10:15:32

And the new series of 'The Crown' is coming too. I don't know how I'll manage it all!

GardenerGran Tue 03-Nov-20 10:19:32

I recommend White Teeth on Netflix, it was made several years ago but very enjoyable. Excellent cast too.

Daddima Tue 03-Nov-20 10:24:17

I watched Emily just to see Paris, and really enjoyed it. I’ve never been a telly watcher, but I’m glad of recommendations, as it’s going to be a long winter!

henetha Tue 03-Nov-20 10:30:24

I enjoyed this. It's a light hearted fluffy bit of fun in a wonderful setting.

Oopsadaisy4 Tue 03-Nov-20 10:33:50

We live in exciting times!

Not real life ones though, just on the tellybox ☹️

Oopsadaisy4 Tue 03-Nov-20 10:35:15

Dead to me

Ozark

A Discovery of Witches

All good

Ellianne Fri 06-Nov-20 22:11:54

I've just binge watched Emily in Paris. It is definitely written by someone who has knowledge of those French idiosyncrasies.
I enjoyed seeing all the sights both by day and by night, and could almost taste some of the culinary delights.
I started to wish I had made more of my year in Paris, (ie. been more outgoing and adventurous!!) If only!

mancgirl Fri 06-Nov-20 22:31:48

Didn't think I would like Schitt's Creek but gave it 5 minutes and ended up watching 4 episodes back to back. Think they are only about 30 minutes long and very funny.

Esspee Fri 06-Nov-20 22:43:07

We watched Emily in Paris, not really our kind of series, a bit like Chesapeake Shore too superficial.
Right now we are on series 5 of Greenleaf. Almost stopped after watching the first episode but thankfully continued. It’s a great series.

MawB2 Fri 06-Nov-20 23:19:54

Oh my goodness what rubbish that is!
It makes Sex in the City look like literary drama.
It plumbs the depths of every French related cliche there ever was and if fluffy and light is what you want , probably ideal.

CanadianGran Sat 07-Nov-20 03:43:10

I admit to enjoying it, though I know it is fluff and nonsense.

Admiring Philippine leroy-Beaulieu as Sylvie for her style (we are about the same age). I never did watch Sex in the City, but suppose it must be similar.

shysal Sat 07-Nov-20 07:31:29

I enjoyed it, but was disappointed that the ending was left up in the air with no new season on the horizon. This has happened to me with a few titles. I am now sticking to proper films. Yesterday it was Definitely Maybe which I loved.

Ellianne Sat 07-Nov-20 08:33:17

Yes, it is fluffy and light, but it is très branché. It is meant to be light and entertaining with a lot of tongue in cheek.
Even my intellectual DH who has worked with French people was lsughing. The power of social media plays an important role too.

MawB2 Sat 07-Nov-20 09:09:03

Ah well, glad you enjoyed it. I found the clichés irritating - rather like the US view of “London town”

French critics seem to have been less than impressed too, by its clichéd Wikipedia-based view of their capital and its lifestyle.
From The Guardian
French critics have not taken kindly to Emily in Paris, a new Netflix production in which an ambitious twentysomething from Chicago moves to the City of Light mainly, it often seems, in order to meet the gamut of Gallic stereotypes.

The berets. The croissants. The baguettes. The hostile waiters. The irascible concierges. The inveterate philanderers. The lovers and the mistresses. Name a cliché about France and the French, you’ll find it in Emily in Paris,” said 20 Minutes.

It reduces the capital’s inhabitants to vile snobs sporting Birkin handbags who light up a cigarette the minute they’re out of the gym,” complained the women’s webzine MadmoiZelle. “Three episodes might have been amusing. Unfortunately, there are 10!”

Ellianne Sat 07-Nov-20 09:15:46

Oh yes, if I were French I wouldn't be too impressed either!
But as an étranger for 5 years in Paris those lovely idiosyncrasies become part of the daily background to me. I guess it's a bit unfair to stuff them all into a few hours of film, but c'est la vie when viewing time is limited.

MawB2 Sat 07-Nov-20 09:34:08

Ellianne

Oh yes, if I were French I wouldn't be too impressed either!
But as an étranger for 5 years in Paris those lovely idiosyncrasies become part of the daily background to me. I guess it's a bit unfair to stuff them all into a few hours of film, but c'est la vie when viewing time is limited.

I started to wish I had made more of my year in Paris, (ie. been more outgoing and adventurous!!) If only
my year or my 5 years?

And presumably an étrangère?

Ellianne Sat 07-Nov-20 10:10:56

Being pedantic MawB

étranger is now the correct word as is acteur and not actrice. You use the masculin.

my year as a single girl working in a bookshop
my 5 years married by that later time, and not in the habit of being unfaithful.

MawB2 Sat 07-Nov-20 10:22:57

hmmhmm

Barmeyoldbat Sat 07-Nov-20 10:23:57

I have been watching The Indian Doctor on Welsh TV catch up and loved it. Also going through all the episodes ofThe Bridge, another excellent series. By the way has anyone watched Hinterland, I really enjoyed the series.