Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Emily in Paris on Netflix

(49 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 03-Nov-20 08:16:04

Just finished watching this series, lighthearted and fun to watch. I really enjoyed the outfits she wore, stiking and stylish, perfect for Gay Paree!!! A little bit of nonsence in this troubled world. smile

Ellianne Sat 07-Nov-20 10:26:37

T'as pas besoin d'être incrédule MawB2

Lucca Sat 07-Nov-20 12:44:44

Je crois que Madame Lebrun ait plutôt honte .....

MawB2 Sat 07-Nov-20 14:18:11

Lucca

Je crois que Madame Lebrun ait plutôt honte .....

No she bloody well doesn’t Lucca - what do you mean.??? but well done on the subjunctive (attempted) one-upmanship
The “eye roll “ emoji Ellianne is supposed to indicate “Hmm,” not necessarily incredulity.
But I bow to your superior experience, knowledge and doubtless academic achievement.

MawB2 Sat 07-Nov-20 14:25:27

“Isn’t” not “doesn’t” Lucca and kindly have the manners not to discuss me as if I weren’t there.

MawB2 Sat 07-Nov-20 14:26:53

You use the masculin
Call me old fashioned but I understood the grammatical term was “masculine” .

Ellianne Sat 07-Nov-20 14:31:09

MawB2

^You use the masculin^
Call me old fashioned but I understood the grammatical term was “masculine” .

Call me current or in vogue, but masculin was used as a nod to Emily's struggle with genders in the film.

MawB2 Sat 07-Nov-20 14:33:30

It’s really more of a spelling issue - based on the fact that the rest of your sentence was in English.

kittylester Sat 07-Nov-20 14:36:39

Teaching one's granny to suck eggs springs to mind!

Ellianne Sat 07-Nov-20 14:37:22

MawB2

It’s really more of a spelling issue - based on the fact that the rest of your sentence was in English.

So would you also like to correct my use of the word vogue in my last post?
Also a nod to Emily's fashion sense in the film.

MawB2 Sat 07-Nov-20 14:38:40

Perhaps we could move to Pedants’ Corner? grin

Ellianne Sat 07-Nov-20 14:40:36

He he! Bonne idée!

Actually getting back to our original difference of opinion, Emily is the second most watched series on Netflix!

MawB2 Sat 07-Nov-20 14:42:04

Ellianne

MawB2

So would you also like to correct my use of the word vogue in my last post?
Also a nod to Emily's fashion sense in the film.

confusedconfused
I understand “vogue” to be a perfectly acceptable English word
Do you have a problem with that?
Franglais can be terrific fun, but hardly something to get exercised about.

Ellianne Sat 07-Nov-20 14:44:38

exercised?

Lucca Sat 07-Nov-20 14:46:41

Exorcised?

Lucca Sat 07-Nov-20 14:49:30

Mawb2
I apologise most sincerely I misunderstood your emoji !!
Enjoyed that little exchange .,. Not actually sure if le subjonctif was warranted there... reminds me of the wonderful french lesson scene in The history boys

MawB2 Sat 07-Nov-20 14:50:59

Ellianne

exercised?

Heated, het up, agitato,

Certainly not “exorcised” ???

MawB2 Sat 07-Nov-20 14:53:54

Lucca

Mawb2
I apologise most sincerely I misunderstood your emoji !!
Enjoyed that little exchange .,. Not actually sure if le subjonctif was warranted there... reminds me of the wonderful french lesson scene in The history boys

I’m not sure that it was as it was a positive statement.
But why refer to it in French? The Subjunctive is good enough for me.
My point was that nobody likes being talked about behind their back, in whatever language.
Apology accepted though
For reference should anybody need them here are the current lockdown emojis

Ellianne Sat 07-Nov-20 14:55:29

Well I loved Emily's faux pas with the word excitée. grin

Jane10 Sat 07-Nov-20 15:38:26

Oh. I came back on this thread as I've just been watching 'Emily in Paris' but seem to have wandered into a private argument!!
Can't say I enjoyed the programme. Emily is an idiot. Paris is gorgeous as ever and it's lovely to see it but I don't think I'll persevere with the rest of the series. Just too silly.

Ellianne Sat 07-Nov-20 15:49:16

I came back on this thread as I've just been watching 'Emily in Paris' but seem to have wandered into a private argument!!
Not a private argument as far as I am concerned Jane10. Just some minor contretemps over wording and emojis. It's all in the nuances!

Lucca Sat 07-Nov-20 16:25:53

“ I’m not sure that it was as it was a positive statement.”
MawB2 Sorry you’re right. My only excuse is that it is required in such a sentence in Italian.

seacliff Sat 07-Nov-20 23:00:45

Thanks for the suggestion travelsofar. I too watched it, and enjoyed it for what it is, just a bit of light hearted frivolity. Just what I needed today.

rosecarmel Sun 08-Nov-20 03:04:50

I binge watched it- It was mindless fun and visually pretty- Also loved the clothes and her phone cover-

Although a small role, I loved her character in The Blind Side -- a perfect Thanksgiving movie-