Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Thinking of getting streaming service.

(50 Posts)
grandMattie Sat 02-Jan-21 15:50:00

We’ve already go Sky and BT sport.
I’m thinking of getting another streaming service. We prefer British programmes. Any recommendations! TIA

Jane43 Fri 17-Sep-21 13:50:23

If you don’t have Sky tv you can watch Sky channels and other channels via a Now tv subscription. I had the Entertainment and Movie packages on a free trial and at the end of the period I cancelled them and was offered the Entertainment package for £3.99 a month for 6 months which I accepted because there are some good series on Sky Atlantic. I didn’t take up the movie package as there were very few films on it worth watching. At the end of the 6 months I cancelled and was offered the Entertainment package again for £3.99 a month for another 6 months which I accepted.

Shelbel Tue 14-Sep-21 08:24:13

We have Netflix, cable TV and use chrome cast. It's really easy to set up. We have used the free trials of Disney and amazon prime, this was to watch a certain programme only available there. I've seen most of the films and series available on the last two but I think Netflix has the most to offer especially if you like US or foreign series, UK series are available too. I don't think its possible to get everything from one sender and it does depend on what you prefer to watch.

BHelena Mon 13-Sep-21 16:57:48

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

evatrav Thu 10-Jun-21 02:36:34

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

kircubbin2000 Wed 13-Jan-21 16:07:41

Granny14

Also thinking of trying a streaming service but don't have a smart TV. I think Chromecast would enable this but am not sure how easy it would be to set up. Any advice?

My advice is get a new tv with as large a screen as you can get. You will be able to watch, record and pause programmes.The choice then is to get Netflix or another app.

GagaJo Wed 13-Jan-21 16:01:14

Hi grandMattie,

Bflix.to is just a website. If you are a BIT more technologically advanced than me, you can plan on your laptop (tablet?) and hook up your TV using some sort of cable or maybe cable free now? (I am a tech dinosaur).

Almost everything I want to watch is free on Bflix. The ONLY things they don't have are daily UK soaps. Otherwise, the choice is almost infinite.

I watch a lot of Euro TV series. I am currently half way through the 3rd series of the French police drama, Spiral. There are 8 and they are all on there. The most recent series of The Crown was on there days after it had been on UK TV.

dahlia Wed 13-Jan-21 15:32:40

We were given a Now TV subscription by our family for Christmas, and are really enjoying the serials and other programmes, especially Netflix. We can access IPlayer, All4 (we love foreign series), and others. Terrestrial television has been so repetitive and boring recently, it's nice to have the choice. wine

grandMattie Tue 12-Jan-21 16:58:40

Bflix? Never heard of it. How do I get it?

GagaJo Wed 06-Jan-21 10:29:36

I would just use Bflix.to Totally free. I have rewatched all of Dinner Ladies over Christmas.

It has TV series and films, from all over the world, and has a filter to enable you to search by genre, country etc.

Shropshirelass Wed 06-Jan-21 10:06:40

We have just signed up for Netflix. Only £5.99 a month. Caught up on Peaky Blinders, Poldark and Stranger was really good.

newnanny Tue 05-Jan-21 02:00:19

We have Virgin media largest package with movies and Sky Sport + other Sport channels. BT Sport, Disney +, Netflix and Amazon Prime which also covers Sport. We all have Vigin go on smart phones too. I think Netflix is the best and not expensive. I have 2 adult sons living at home with me and DH and they pay for 1 streaming service each + to get it all in their own bedrooms too. So son 1 pays for Netflix but we all have own account, son 2 pays for BT Sport, DH pays for Virgin media but sons pay towards it to get it in their rooms, I pay for Amazon Prime but we all have account and we get Disney+ for foster child but I also give password to dd so dgc can watch it for free. The only thing we would not want is Britbix as it is just old BBC repeats and we refuse to support them anymore after stopping free TV licence for elderly. If you get Amazon Prime you also get next day free delivery on parcels from Amazon and you can have tho GS delivered for others too free of charge. I got lots of dgc gifts online and got them delivered free through Prime.

Genty Mon 04-Jan-21 14:23:08

I use chromecast to stream to my tv, theres also loads of free apps on the chromebook to watch films and theres also youtube.

GillT57 Mon 04-Jan-21 14:17:33

WE got rid of Sky about 3 years ago, bought a Freesat box for about the price of six month's Sky subscription and then signed up to Netflix which is currently about £8.99 per month I think. Far cheaper option than Sky and there are some really good choices on Netflix, great dramas, films etc., best money we spend each month!

gmarie Mon 04-Jan-21 08:10:08

If you don't have a smart TV you can get a Roku which hooks up to your TV and provides a way to access Netflix, Hulu, Britbox, etc. My sons got one for me a few years ago and I love it. I can also listen to music stations, public radio and watch YouTube on it.

Hetty58 Mon 04-Jan-21 04:58:34

I don't need a subscription TV service. There's only so many hours in the day to watch films etc.

With smart TVs in the house there's more than enough choice already.

There's all the (comprehensive) freeview stuff, then I can access Netflix, NowTV and Prime (all as 'guest' from family subscribers). I wouldn't have time to make use of anything else.

Jane43 Mon 04-Jan-21 04:06:15

Sorry I should have said Sky or Virgin tv, not Amazon tv.

Jane43 Mon 04-Jan-21 04:04:41

LuckyFour

Can someone tell me what you pay for Netflix and how you get it. Sorry I'm techno-hopeless.

The monthly cost varies depending on how many users there are, we pay £7.99 a month But I think you can get in for £5.99 if there is only one user. Getting Netflix on your tv depends on what make it is and whether it is a smart tv. If you have a relatively new Smart tv you will probably find Netflix from the menu. If it isn’t there go to the app store via your settings and see if you can download Netflix that way. If neither of those things are possible you can get Netflix via an Amazon Fire Stick which plugs into your tv, this will work even if it isn’t a smart tv. Netflix is also available via Sky or Amazon TV if you have either of these. Once you have the Netflix app you just register using your email address and a password, and enter payment details. If my information sounds too complicated you can find information on line, just do a search ‘how to get Netflix on my tv’ and you will also find information on You Tube, something we use a lot for guidance.

glammagran Sun 03-Jan-21 23:35:51

We have Netflix and NowTV which we use far more than anything else.

LuckyFour Sun 03-Jan-21 20:37:05

Can someone tell me what you pay for Netflix and how you get it. Sorry I'm techno-hopeless.

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 03-Jan-21 16:17:17

Netflix is good. I started with it during first lockdown. Watched masses to start with but less these days.

Doing a big catch up with TheBridge through iplayer.

pamdixon Sun 03-Jan-21 16:16:34

Don't know if any of you out there like opera and ballet. we were given a subscription to Marquee TV for Christmas and have watched 2 operas and 2 ballets in the past few days. Now watching some classical music. You can access theatrical productions on it too but we've not got round to that yet! makes a nice change from non-stop repeats on the television etc etc!

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 03-Jan-21 16:15:17

grandMattie

Can't get All 4 as my TV is Sony and they don't allow Sony products to download their programmes!!!

I have a Sony Bravia. It's about 10 years old. I can get All 4.

Try this to solve your problem.
www.digihelpdesk.co.uk/how-to-get-4od-on-sony-bravia-tv-a-step-by-step-guide/#:~:text=In%20order%20to%20watch%20Channel,this%20won't%20be%20possible.

Lucretzia Sun 03-Jan-21 15:55:43

Definitely Netflix

All tastes catered for

aonk Sun 03-Jan-21 15:51:57

I also have a Sony tv. I had to cancel the Britbox subscription as it wouldn’t work. I called them and they confirmed this and were happy for me to cancel. Such a pain as our tv is quite new.

NanaPlenty Sun 03-Jan-21 14:38:36

I absolutely love Netflix - always something to watch.