Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Thinking of getting streaming service.

(49 Posts)
grandMattie Sat 02-Jan-21 15:50:00

We’ve already go Sky and BT sport.
I’m thinking of getting another streaming service. We prefer British programmes. Any recommendations! TIA

cornishpatsy Sat 02-Jan-21 15:55:33

Give Britbox a go, most streaming services give a 30 day free trial.

grandMattie Sat 02-Jan-21 16:01:32

Is it easy to install? I’m an electronic idiot.

cornishpatsy Sat 02-Jan-21 16:12:33

It depends on your TV, if it is smart you will find it in the app store.

grandMattie Sat 02-Jan-21 16:18:10

?

sodapop Sat 02-Jan-21 19:17:51

Where are you living grandMattie some services are not available outside UK. I've bern looking at Disney+ but don't know if its a more restricted service in France like Netflix.

grannyticktock Sun 03-Jan-21 09:11:49

Britbox won't work on Samsung TVs that are pre-2016. Having said that, I get round this by getting it on my tablet and then casting it from the tablet to the TV using screen sharing. Then I was given a gift subscription to Netflix for Christmas, and found this worked with the TV straight away as the app was already installed.

SparklyGrandma Sun 03-Jan-21 09:38:53

BritBox is good, I have watched Downton Abbey, One Foot in the Grave, Upstairs Downstairs on Britbox over Christmas, they have recent stuff too.

Channel 4 is a free streaming service with a large catalogue, I am watching ER, all the series on there, at the moment grandMattie.

I subscribe to Netflix for the Crown, Grace and Frankie. Good luck.

grandMattie Sun 03-Jan-21 09:46:22

sodapop

Where are you living grandMattie some services are not available outside UK. I've bern looking at Disney+ but don't know if its a more restricted service in France like Netflix.

E Kent, so there should be no problem.

grandMattie Sun 03-Jan-21 09:47:06

Can't get All 4 as my TV is Sony and they don't allow Sony products to download their programmes!!!

HannahLoisLuke Sun 03-Jan-21 09:48:45

If you have a family member who subscribes to Netflix you could ask them to add you to their permitted shared membership. My granddaughter added me and I've enjoyed The Crown, Rebecca, Bridgerton and lots more. It's a mix if UK and US programmes and there's loads if choice.
I think Britbox is mostly repeats of old BBC and itv programmes.

Cambia Sun 03-Jan-21 10:02:45

If you have Sky you can get Netflix as an add on. Amazon Prime is good as you get free films, next day delivery from Amazon and some free music too. This can be accesssed easily on your Sky programme if you go to Apps.
You can buy some films too. We just watched Edie with Sheila Hancock in which we really enjoyed for 99p!

LyWa Sun 03-Jan-21 10:39:20

grandMattie

Can't get All 4 as my TV is Sony and they don't allow Sony products to download their programmes!!!

We have a Sony TV and can get All4 with no problems.

4allweknow Sun 03-Jan-21 11:01:26

HannahLoisLuke Netflix are supposedly stopping the sharing of their service. Up until only last week I used to dip into my son's system but decided to purchase my own.

buylocal Sun 03-Jan-21 11:20:45

Netflix has some excellent stuff that it makes itself. If you can get used to subtitles a whole world of high quality drama and film will be opened up to you. Try for free with Walter presents, channel 4. Although they are mainly crime drama. We also have Prime. Between those three we are never short of something worthwhile to watch.

Hymnbook Sun 03-Jan-21 11:38:53

I assume that most of us pay the tv license. Why should we have to pay more to access other programmes. One of the series l have been following has now been moved from All 4 l think to Amazon Prime or some such. I can't afford to pay the tv license as well as the extra money each month for different streaming services. It makes me cross when a series like the crown for instance is advertised and then you realize that if you want to watch it you will have to pay for it.

Granny14 Sun 03-Jan-21 11:50:56

Also thinking of trying a streaming service but don't have a smart TV. I think Chromecast would enable this but am not sure how easy it would be to set up. Any advice?

nannypiano Sun 03-Jan-21 11:51:28

If you go to the tv license site it explains you don't need a tv license if you only watch tv streaming. That is a good choice if you don't want to watch the rubbish on tv.

FannyCornforth Sun 03-Jan-21 12:04:23

Granny14I've got a firestick, which from what I can make out is pretty much the same as a Chromecast.
It really couldn't be easier to set up. You just plug it into the HDMI slit at the back of your TV and change the 'output' setting via your TVs remote.
I share the firestick between three TVs. It is really simple.
It's great for using with TVs in bedrooms etc because you don't need an aerial.
I highly recommend it.

petra Sun 03-Jan-21 12:19:00

When I read your comment Re All 4 and Sony I just checked to see if it's still working. Yup, still there.
Who told you that?

Noreen3 Sun 03-Jan-21 13:04:06

I've added Netflix to my Virgin Media,it was well worth doing.I've enjoyed watching The Crown,and there are plenty more series and films to watch too

Hil1910 Sun 03-Jan-21 13:25:32

Added Netflix to our Sky Subscription and find we watch this more than anything else now

Albangirl14 Sun 03-Jan-21 13:45:22

As I learnt from Gransnet a month or two ago Netflix is only £5.99 a month and you can cancel anytime. We have been pleased we joined up thanks for the Tip from someone on Gransnett who said only the same as a bottle of wine a month!

MaggsMcG Sun 03-Jan-21 14:13:51

The TV licence is on its way out with any luck. The BBC needs to get up to date and take on either advertising or if they dont want to interrupt their useless programmes sponsorship. Almost every other TV channel in the world does.

NanaPlenty Sun 03-Jan-21 14:38:36

I absolutely love Netflix - always something to watch.