Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What was your favourite childhood tv programme?

(164 Posts)
Foxglove77 Sun 10-Jan-21 14:41:40

I loved the Black Beauty tv series and remember galloping around the garden singing the theme tune! Also enjoyed Follyfoot, The Sullivans and The Cedar Tree.

Poppyred Mon 25-Jan-21 12:36:58

Forgot Dr Finlay’s Casebook and Dixon of Dock Green.

Poppyred Mon 25-Jan-21 12:54:43

Also loved Man from Uncle and Z Cars. Can’t believe that IIllya Kuryakin and Fancy Smith are still alive. Lol

Nannatwiglet Thu 28-Jan-21 21:38:27

Muffin the Mule,The Cisco Kid, The Lone Ranger, The Sooty Show, Picture Book,Playbox, Watch with Mother,All Your Own,Whirlygig,Billy Bunter,Andy Pandy...

HannahLoisLuke Sun 31-Jan-21 12:43:09

No tv in our house until I was about fourteen, then we had a tiny twelve inch screen in a huge floor standing cabinet. I only remember my father and brothers hogging it to watch Rawhide, Wagon Train etc.
I do remember six five special on a Saturday which I loved, and a bit later Oh Boy but no children’s programmes, I was too old by then.

Shirlb Sun 31-Jan-21 14:11:32

The wooden tops smile

Musicgirl Sun 31-Jan-21 14:19:00

Blue Peter, Vision On, Little House on the Prairie, Why Don't You?

Musicgirl Sun 31-Jan-21 14:20:57

Also, as a very small child, The Herbs, Busy Lizzie, The Pogles, Camberwick Green, Trumpton and Chigley.

Gin Sun 31-Jan-21 14:50:51

From the 1950s who remembers Whirligig with Humphrey Letocq and his side kick Mr Turnip?

I loved the radio and always listened to Children’s Hour with Uncle Mac, David and the woman I think called Elizabeth. Loved all the dramatisations of books that I went on to read and become a reader for life: ‘The Bell Faemily, ‘Ballet Shoes’, ‘Norman and Henry Bones’, ‘Jennings’. Oh so many lovely memories of sitting in front of the fire with my ear glued to the radio. I remember those programmes so much more clearly than TV and we had one very early on.

catladyuk Sun 31-Jan-21 15:20:33

we didn't have a tv when i was a child, no-one did back in the dark ages! there was only the radio and everyone listened to such delights as 'journey into space' and of course 'womans hour' and 'mrs dales diary' both avidly listened to by my mother and grandmother, and who can remember 'music while you work'?

Georgesgran Sun 31-Jan-21 15:36:04

Radio programmes as above - also Round the Horn.

Liked most of the children’s programmes but hated (and still do) cowboys and Westerns. I seem to remember ‘Wacko’ a School based comedy with Jimmy Edwards. Apparently he was an RAF fighter pilot and the huge moustache was to hide facial scars from being shot down. He was a member of The Guinea Pig Club, but sadly outed as gay when homosexuality was illegal.

grandmajet Sun 31-Jan-21 15:48:42

I loved anything with horses too, including Westerns.
Eazybee, I also remember The Silver Sword,- wasn’t it a serial set in wartime Poland? The whole family watched it together which made it special.

Sarnia Sun 31-Jan-21 15:50:30

It's going back a bit but I was entranced with Prudence Kitten when I visited my grandparents. We didn't have a TV in our house until I was 9.

Tweedle24 Sun 31-Jan-21 16:00:47

Muffin the Mule with Annette Mills. Particularly loved Peregrine the Penguin.