Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What was your fist ever Musical?

(92 Posts)
biba70 Fri 29-Jan-21 19:14:01

For me, as I grew up in a rural area abroad- it was HAIR early 1970. Seen many since, but none ever had the same impression as HAIR did in those early days.

Ashcombe Fri 29-Jan-21 21:28:06

We went to see “The Sound of Music” on stage in London when I was about 10. I desperately wanted to be one of the children! Many years later, I played the part of Baroness Elsa in an am-dram production of the show.

Another favourite from childhood was “Oliver!”, also seen on stage in London. I later directed it in school besides acting as Mrs. Sowerberry in an am-dram production of it. Great memories!

Urmstongran Fri 29-Jan-21 21:41:25

Me neither Jaxjacky! Only ever been to two. Saw Phantom in Manchester to please my mum. She wanted to see it again. Sarah Brightman and I think the guy from ‘Some Mothers Do Have ‘Em’. Oh yes, came back to me. Michael Crawford. I was bored to tears but hid it because mum loved it so much and had bought my ticket!

The second time was 28y ago. I remember it only because our daughter was 15y at the time and all her friends were saying how brilliant Les Mis was. Tickets for the Palace Theatre in Manchester cost a bluddy fortune. Actually I quite enjoyed that one. But obviously, looking at the time lapse, not enough to fancy another musical!

Esspee Fri 29-Jan-21 21:57:57

biba70. HAIR made a lasting impression on me too.
I knew the script word perfect and married one of the cast. ?

Elrel Fri 29-Jan-21 22:10:20

Film, Meet Me in St Louis, 1940s with Margaret O’Brien. Loved seeing Oliver and West Side Story on stage in London in the early 1960s and so many more since! Les Mis is probably my favourite but I always enjoy Joseph too.

vampirequeen Fri 29-Jan-21 22:12:05

O K L A H O M A......OKLAHOMA! YEOW!

Luckygirl Fri 29-Jan-21 22:16:32

My Fair Lady

I had a good friend whose parents were minted and they used to take me to London with them to see the shows. I would never have had these opportunities otherwise.

When my children were young I used to take them on coach trips to see the shows because I remembered how much I had loved it all.

Pittcity Fri 29-Jan-21 22:21:51

Godspell in Hot church, starring David Essex!

Pittcity Fri 29-Jan-21 22:22:41

Hornchurch...bloomin autocorrect!!

Grandma70s Fri 29-Jan-21 22:23:12

The first one I saw, if films count, was Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I thought it was rubbish, and said so, which shocked the girl I went with. I was about 12 at the time. Still not keen on musicals, but some are better than others.

Nemesia Fri 29-Jan-21 22:48:39

I was one of the King of Siam’s children in our local production of The King and I, but the first musical I remember was I think Oklahoma!

Is anybody else watching Neil Brand’s excellent TV series on musicals?
All my favourites tonight - West Side Story, Fiddler on the Roof, Oliver, Company , A Little Night Music and the wonderful Chorus Line. .

Hellogirl1 Fri 29-Jan-21 22:49:12

When I was about 9 years old, around 1952, my auntie took me to the pictures to see a film, not sure if you`d call it a musical, but there was a lot of singing, but I can`t remember the title. I remember a scene with people sailing boats, not sure if rowing or punts, down a river, the men were wearing red and white striped blazers. Can anyone as old as me shed any light?

Callistemon Fri 29-Jan-21 23:17:51

Was it Showboat, Hellogirl?
Although I think that was set aboard a Mississippi River boat

Lexisgranny Fri 29-Jan-21 23:38:20

I recall as a student sitting in “the gods” (the highest seats near the roof of the theatre) where the tickets were between 2/6 and 7/6 on Saturday afternoons. Our ambition was to see as many shows and plays as possible. Happy days!!

Lilypops Fri 29-Jan-21 23:39:51

Carousel was the first ,I went with an Aunt. Then Oklahoma , I loved the opening when Gordon Macrae sang. Oh what a beautiful morning ,riding on his horse.I thought he was so handsome , Gordon not the horse!!!!

Chewbacca Fri 29-Jan-21 23:45:29

I've spent most of my leisure time in theatres and, from memory, have seen on stage:
First one was The King & I in 1963ish
Oklahoma
Oliver!
Dr Doolittle
Hair
Phantom of the Opera
HMS Pinafore
Jesus Christ Superstar
Fiddler On The Roof
Godspell
Oh! Calcutta
Cabaret
All That Jazz
Les Mis - dreadful, the worst ever
Little Shop of Horrors
Starlight Express
Pirates of Penzance
Saturday Night Fever
Hair spray
Thoroughly Modern Millie
We Will Rock You
Jersey Boys
Dream Boats & Petticoats
Chicago
The Book of Mormon
Kinky Boots
Nice Work if you can get it
Motown The Musical
Mrs Henderson Presents
Moulin Rouge!

There may be more but if I've forgotten them, it's probably because they were dire. I've not listed the Opera productions I've seen on stage. Or drama plays.

Nemesia Fri 29-Jan-21 23:54:56

Pittcity

Godspell in Hot church, starring David Essex!

gringrin
Was The Hot Priest your vicar?

Jane43 Sat 30-Jan-21 02:40:18

Blood Brothers is my favourite musical too and I've seen it three times now. The best version was when we went to London for DH’s birthday I booked the tickets as a surprise for DH as he was a fan of Barbara Dickson who played Mrs.Johnstone, Carl Wayne was The Narrator. We enjoyed the performance so much we bought the CD.

CanadianGran Sat 30-Jan-21 04:30:27

Unfortunately I have never been to a professional stage musical! How sad...

We live very far away from the nearest large city that would host such a show. And it seems when I do go on vacation to a large city, it is not theatre season. I do know someone who flies to Vancouver for a weekend, catches a production and returns, but that is an expensive weekend, and I can't justify the cost!

I have helped backstage, and have watched many local musicals; my first being Jesus Christ Superstar. We have quite a good group locally. Seeing it all come together with the band, the singers and actors, costumes etc is really rewarding.

My first real theatre viewing was a ballet when I was in school. I was enthralled. The live orchestra, the magical set, and of course the beauty of the dancers. I didn't understand all of it then, but I believe it was Swan Lake.

How lucky some of you are that have it readily available! Of course it is expensive, but a worthwhile luxury.

Kim19 Sat 30-Jan-21 05:04:19

My introduction to London theatreland was 'The most happy fella' in 1960. Luckily, my friend's Mum was in the business and introduced us to many shows. Happy days indeed. Can't remember how many musicals IVe seen over the years. Probably my favourite theatre genre because of the escapism and just fun and uplifting in general.

BlueBelle Sat 30-Jan-21 05:16:32

I didn’t grow up with a family who could afford theatre outings it just wasn’t on our radar too busy trying to earn the rent money So although I did lots of films King and I Oklahoma, South Pacific etc etc and liked them in my teen years I never went to any stage shows

I was a very late starter and still haven’t been to many but my absolute favourite is Blood Brothers followed by Les Mis, and Phantom and the Lion King (the only one I ve seen in London)

I loathed Cats and not very keen on Starlight express
I have to say I prefer the dark miserable dramatic ones haven’t any time at all for the feel good factor ones

I only saw it at the cinema but The greatest Showman has to be my all time awful awful one totally loathed it and came close to walking out

kittylester Sat 30-Jan-21 07:15:19

Am I the only person who loathes Les Mis? I didn't like Cats either.

shysal Sat 30-Jan-21 07:31:03

I have only ever seen three musicals. Evita and Chicago bored me but I loved Joseph.

Casdon Sat 30-Jan-21 07:56:50

Musicals aren’t my thing, I’m more of a live music person, but I have seen a few over the years. We had a Gilbert &Sullivan every year when I was at high school. My first ‘proper’ one was Evita, which I didn’t enjoy, the best were Priscilla of the Desert, or Billy Elliot.

Lisagran Sat 30-Jan-21 08:37:04

radiotoday.co.uk/2021/01/bbc-radio-2-presenters-get-in-the-musicals-mood/
I’m not a musicals fan at all - but I gather Radio 2 are having a “musicals weekend” this weekend

dogsmother Sat 30-Jan-21 08:47:43

I love them....
First time I went was on a trip to London as a child and it was to a child’s showing really can’t remember so hoping someone will know!!! Somewhere in the west end!? There was a theatre that did this.