Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Favourite Comfort Films

(47 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Wed 03-Feb-21 20:30:45

The Guardian asked 52 staffers and others to nominate their favourite comfort film, one they turn to over and over again.

What is your favourite comfort film?

Me, I turn regularly to Some Like It Hot. Or anything with Cary Grant in it.

Sara1954 Thu 04-Feb-21 08:30:19

WW010
We watched it just last week, my daughter and I crying at the concert part, I agree, what a lovely family they ended up with

Curlywhirly Thu 04-Feb-21 08:33:37

The Sound of Music
4 Weddings and a Funeral
Bridget Jones
It's a Wonderful Life, The Ladykillers, The Lavender Hill Mob, Brief Encounter, Casablanca, Great Expectations - any of the black and white classics, I'm a slave to nostalgia!

WW010 Thu 04-Feb-21 08:38:44

Sara1954

WW010
We watched it just last week, my daughter and I crying at the concert part, I agree, what a lovely family they ended up with

We’re a very small family so my daughter and I keep looking for people to adopt ??. My OH of 8 years has had a hard job understanding that when we say ‘family’ we mean everyone in our close circle. He was brought up that ‘family’ had to be blood relatives. We’ve relaxed him now and he’s all for the extended/all welcome bit ❤️

WW010 Thu 04-Feb-21 08:41:04

Love Actually
About a Boy
Forrest Gump
Pretty Woman
Sleepless in Seattle
You’ve got Mail
When Harry met Sally (especially the cut which includes Harry Connick at the end - yum).

FannyCornforth Thu 04-Feb-21 09:55:43

nanna8

‘A night to remember’ 1958 film about the Titanic better than the Kate Winslett one. Another one is ‘ A Sound of Music’

I'd forgotten about A Night to Remember too - we only watched it on Monday!
I've got the audio book which the film is based on read by Martin Jarvis. That's one of my favourite comfort listens. The book is by Walter Lord, for anyone who is interested.

dahlia Sun 07-Feb-21 15:19:33

We watch "Groundhog Day", and by now we know most of the dialogue, but still wait for the lines that make us laugh out loud!
To cheer myself up, I recently bought "A Beautiful Afternoon in the Neighbourhood" with Tom Hanks, and found this so lovely, gentle yet with a message, too.
We also love "Some Like it Hot" - and "Charade". cupcake

Sara1954 Sun 07-Feb-21 15:34:09

Dahlia
I bought ‘A beautiful day in the neighbourhood’ when it came out, but haven’t rotten round to watching it yet, I shall dig it out and watch it.

honeyrose Sun 07-Feb-21 15:42:41

Love Actually
Manhattan
Bridget Jones Diary
Mama Mia
I just realised that these films have great music in them too!

tiredoldwoman Sun 07-Feb-21 16:02:07

Babyboom

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 07-Feb-21 16:26:18

The Sound of Music
Genevieve
Random Harvest - tissues at the ready!

Aldom Sun 07-Feb-21 19:24:59

Bridges of Madison County (and any film starring or directed by Clint Eastwood)
Brief Encounter, Truly Madly, Deeply, and the Bridget Jones films.

Sara1954 Sun 07-Feb-21 21:12:40

I know it’s a bit of a love it or hate it, but we have just watched ‘The Greatest Showman’ for the umpteenth time. Nothing like it for getting everyone singing, and the children dancing.
We love it

MagicWand Mon 08-Feb-21 13:24:27

Groundhog Day- love that on the official Groundhog Day, one of the Sky film channels had it on continuous repeat!!
Sleepless in Seattle (preferably preceded by An Affair to Remember)
You’ve Got Mail (I’d love to be able to find Little Shop on the Corner too for comparison)
Miss Marple (BBC version)
Trading Places
Singing in the Rain
Upstart Crow

Vintagerose Tue 09-Feb-21 13:32:56

Singing in the Rain
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
My Fair Lady
Some Like it Hot

GrandmasueUK Fri 12-Feb-21 03:30:36

Some Like It Hot, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Passport to Pimlico, Gone with the Wind and The Admirable Crichton. Newer ones include Dirty Dancing, Mama Mia (we were in Skiathos when they filmed the boat scene), Ghost and Love Actually

Witzend Fri 12-Feb-21 14:03:42

Ditto to Ghost
Blithe Spirit (the old one with Rex Harrison)
The made for TV Persuasion with Amanda Root
Ditto the Emma with Kate Beckinsale (before she had plastic surgery in order to become a Hollywood clone)
So much better IMO than the cinema version with Gwyneth Paltrow
Truly Madly Deeply
Any of the old Joan Hickson Miss Marples.

The Tamarind Seed - early 70s Cold War thriller with Julie Andrews in her first ‘real’ role, and Omar Sharif as the dodgy Russian trying to recruit her - or is he? Partly set in Barbados, which is another reason I love it. :

honeyrose Tue 16-Feb-21 10:09:09

I watched The Family Way which I taped from Talking Pictures a few days ago. What a fantastic film and so evocative of the 60’s when it was made. I’m still thinking about the film several days later. So touching and poignant.

grandmajet Tue 16-Feb-21 10:15:23

We watched A Room with a View on Saturday. It was lovely and gentle, and made me smile. Simon Callow in the nude!

Calendargirl Tue 16-Feb-21 10:31:07

Brief Encounter.
Went The Day Well.
The Ladykillers.
Kind Hearts and Coronets.
This Happy Breed.
Mildred Pierce.
Now Voyager.

Witness.
Dirty Dancing.
National Lampoon’s Christmas.

Prefer old ones to modern.

ILE35 Tue 16-Feb-21 22:13:02

Bridesmaids
The greatest showman
Les miserables
Ghost
Mamma Mia 1&2

Hellogirl1 Tue 16-Feb-21 22:18:14

Calamity Jane
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (brilliant dance sequences)
The Jazz Singer (the Neil Diamond one)
White Christmas