Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Have you ever walked out of a cinema/theatre half way through a show?

(261 Posts)
grandmajet Tue 16-Feb-21 08:12:04

I’ve done it twice. The first time was David Bowies’s film, The Man Who Fell to Earth. What a load of tosh! More recently we left Ben Elton’s stand up show at half time. I was disappointed as I used to like him and loved his books but he seemed to have turned into a bitter, unpleasant person and it was not fun to listen to him.
Anyone else done this, and why?

Catlover21 Thu 25-Feb-21 13:51:15

La la land was dreadful

soop Thu 25-Feb-21 14:44:07

I walked out after 30 minutes of The Exorcist, some 45 years ago. It unnerved me for some months thereafter.

Chestnut Thu 25-Feb-21 17:12:12

I made it through the Exorcist but only because I was with my friend and her boyfriend and we were all clinging onto each other. We were so scared they both stayed the night at my place, but my friend and I were both nervous wrecks for weeks afterwards. I was a horror fan before that but realised horror films had gone beyond my limits and I wasn't keen on them any more.

MamaCaz Thu 25-Feb-21 17:31:23

No, unless you count the time that we were given free tickets to the opera by members of the orchestra who happened to be 'living' on a narrowboat near ours for the duration of the show.

They suggested we join them for a drink in the pub next door to the theatre (in Manchester) during the interval. We didn't realize as we left through the main entrance that we wouldn't be able to re-enter because although we could leave, the doors were kept firmly closed in the other direction
On discovering our mistake following that drink, we had to sneak back in back-stage with them, and barely made back to our seats in time ?
(Whether or not either of us really wanted to see the rest is another matter, but we didn't want to be seen as ungrateful!)

kissngate Thu 25-Feb-21 18:26:23

Left Dirty Dancing at half time. It was the West End show and daughter and I love a live performance particularly if it has an orchestra. We sat four rows from the front there was no live music only taped and to add insult the performers lip synced (sp?) the whole way through which was very obvious sitting so close. Dancing was ok but not enough to make us stay for the second half.

MaudBoggins Sat 27-Feb-21 15:50:29

I fell asleep during the first Harry Potter film - but I was heavily pregnant at the time. I declined an invitation to see Lord of the Rings, knowing that I'd be bored out of my mind.

Whingingmom Sat 27-Feb-21 16:05:35

Agree about La La Land - utter rubbish. Unfortunately as I tried to sneak out quietly I tripped down the small step at the end of a row of seats and fell loudly into a heap. I was literally rolling in the aisle (and had a massive bruise on my hip to show for it).

ginny Sat 27-Feb-21 18:57:58

I left 20 into ‘The Good the Bad and the Ugly’

Just dreadful.

Magnolia62 Sun 07-Mar-21 15:05:35

Husband and I desperately wanted to walk out of the film, Cloud Atlas, but we were in the middle of a row and didn’t want to disturb anyone. A free screening so packed out, but what absolute rubbish.
A friend and I walked out during the interval of Breakfast at Tiffany’s. A professional production in our local theatre. Friend has just bought cheap tickets that were being touted at her work. It was sooooo boring. Starred that pretty actress that was Chesney’s first love in Coronation Street and then in Strictly. Apparently, according to the manager on the door, we weren’t the only ones that week who left early.

Husband and I really wanted to escape a theatre production of Nine to Five’ a few years ago. It was dire and so dated. It had Bonny Langford in it and so many screechy American voices. However, yet again we were surrounded and the people around were seemingly enjoying it, laughing along whist we were stony faced and puzzled! Coincidently, these were tickets we had won in a competition. I honestly feel the ones we loathed had probably given away a lot of free or cheap tickets to boost the audience numbers.

JackyB Sun 07-Mar-21 15:46:15

I agree about Lalaland. However I was watching it on a plane and could just switch it off.