Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Have you ever walked out of a cinema/theatre half way through a show?

(261 Posts)
grandmajet Tue 16-Feb-21 08:12:04

I’ve done it twice. The first time was David Bowies’s film, The Man Who Fell to Earth. What a load of tosh! More recently we left Ben Elton’s stand up show at half time. I was disappointed as I used to like him and loved his books but he seemed to have turned into a bitter, unpleasant person and it was not fun to listen to him.
Anyone else done this, and why?

WW010 Tue 16-Feb-21 09:41:37

Yes but can’t remember the name!! Some clever people on here might know what it was. It was a classic play set in Nottinghamshire. I thought it could be DHLawrence but have looked and nothing rings a bell. It’s a famous one. The production was done completely in old Nottingham dialect. We couldn’t understand a word!! Went for a drink at the interval and didn’t come back.

Marmight Tue 16-Feb-21 09:41:55

Also walked out of Cinderella panto in Guildford because DD1 aged 3 was petrified of Cinderella played by Bonnie Langford. She had a very loud shrieky voice. Strangely DD took up singing - of the classic variety ?

Gwyneth Tue 16-Feb-21 09:42:54

Romeo and Juliet. Very expensive tickets awful performance. It was a birthday treat so very disappointing. The director had tried to merge a ‘modern’ version with the traditional and it just simply didn’t work.

Kim19 Tue 16-Feb-21 09:43:15

Twice. Once during a film called Shampoo with Julie Christie and ??? Laurence Harvey??? The other was a Japanese flight of fancy. The title currently eludes me. Unbelievably awful but undoubtedly enjoyed by some.

mokryna Tue 16-Feb-21 09:43:43

The Big Blue 1988 I found it so égocentrique that I walked out.

Littleannie Tue 16-Feb-21 09:51:03

I once took my mother to a variety show at the local theatre. Two third rate comedians were doing an Annie Oakley sketch where they were threatening to shoot each other. It was the day after the Dunblane shooting. My mum stood up and said "guns aren't funny". The audience clapped her. We walked out , and so did some of the audience.

NotAGran55 Tue 16-Feb-21 09:55:27

I left a Simply Red gig before the end as they were absolutely dire live which was hugely disappointing and surprising.

Elton John at Wembley 1975 . A brilliant day including Joe Walsh , The Eagles and Beach Beach was topped off with the arrogance of EJ performing his new album from start to finish that nobody had heard . Tens of thousands of us left . He apologised years later for being a c* ( his words) during that period of his life.

I wanted to walk out of Phantom Of The Opera as it wasn’t my cup of tea but sat it out for my dad’s sake and also because it had cost so much in time and money . I had bought 2 tickets to take my dad as a treat but he had a heart attack the day before . I hadn’t wanted to see it in the first place and only arranged it for him after my mum had died . He insisted that I still went ..argh ...I couldn’t tell him the truth and had to go .
It was such short notice I couldn’t find anyone else free to take the other ticket .

Sara1954 Tue 16-Feb-21 09:58:32

Bluebelle

The Greatest Showman is a brilliant film, we all watched it again only last weekend, happily singing along, seen it at least ten times now.
Give it another go, it might grow on you.

Jaffacake2 Tue 16-Feb-21 10:03:39

Didn't walk out but probably should have. Took daughter when she was about 3 to Cinderella panto. We were middle of the row enjoying it then she threw up badly. Didn't quite know what to do. If I had tried to get out people may have had vomit sprayed on them from her dress. Scooped up as much as I could into a carrier bag then squirted a body spray around. She was quite happy and babbling on about Cinderellas coach !
At the end the lady behind me had a verbal attack at me for ruining her child's Christmas treat.
Still wonder whether I should have tried to leave.
Any thoughts on what I should have done ?

grandmajet Tue 16-Feb-21 10:03:51

I loved The Greatest Showman too Sara.
How rude of your friend Pamela, to spoil the pantomime evening not only for you but for the children too.
It just shows how different our tastes are. It’s not a question of right or wrong, is it, just different views, as in many things in life.

grandmajet Tue 16-Feb-21 10:05:20

Oh dear Jaffacake! I really don’t know what I would have done. Aren’t children lovely!

Kate1949 Tue 16-Feb-21 10:13:18

Cats at the theatre. Bloomin awful. Les Miserables at the cinema. Cliff Richard playing Heathcliff. We had to leave as my daughter was upsetting the Cliff fans with her sniggering. I'm not sure what possessed us to go in the first place.

Riverwalk Tue 16-Feb-21 10:16:12

Also walked out of Cinderella panto in Guildford because DD1 aged 3 was petrified of Cinderella played by Bonnie Langford.

??

grandmajet Tue 16-Feb-21 10:16:17

Again, Cats. Dreadful.

NanKate Tue 16-Feb-21 10:16:40

When we were first married we went to see the film of Canterbury Tales. I was almost 9 ninths pregnant and just managed to squeeze into the seat in the middle of the row.

The film began and we realised this was in fact a film called ‘The Other Canterbury Tales’ which was a sexed up interpretation, we hated it and I had to push my large bump along the full row to get out. As we did so we saw our neighbours ?.

We often laugh about it now and suspect we wouldn’t be at all shocked if we saw it again.

Calendargirl Tue 16-Feb-21 10:38:59

Kim19

Twice. Once during a film called Shampoo with Julie Christie and ??? Laurence Harvey??? The other was a Japanese flight of fancy. The title currently eludes me. Unbelievably awful but undoubtedly enjoyed by some.

Was it Warren Beatty in this film!

Calendargirl Tue 16-Feb-21 10:39:31

Meant to be a ? not a !

timetogo2016 Tue 16-Feb-21 10:45:38

Yes, Waynes world and the mirror cracked.both less than half hour in.
Both are a cure for insomnia.

WW010 Tue 16-Feb-21 10:47:01

Kate1949

Cats at the theatre. Bloomin awful. Les Miserables at the cinema. Cliff Richard playing Heathcliff. We had to leave as my daughter was upsetting the Cliff fans with her sniggering. I'm not sure what possessed us to go in the first place.

Ooh I hated Les Mis at the cinema. Too ‘in your face’. When everyone clapped at the end I was astonished. I then got a tram home which was crammed with young luvvies all raving about it. Yuk. Have watched it again btw just in case but still hated it.

fairfraise Tue 16-Feb-21 10:49:07

In the 1970s I walked out of Rollerball an awful film about sport with James Caan. Also walked out of Cabaret on the fifth viewing. I loved that film but the fifth time was just a bit too much.

A couple of years ago we almost walked out of Girl on a Train, I found it a bit tedious but we stayed till the end!

Off topic but also in the 1970s we were evacuated out of a cinema in Leicester Square showing Winnie the Pooh. We left hurriedly and while on the Tube heard an explosion. We learned later it was the IRA trying to kill Edward Heath then PM.

Boz Tue 16-Feb-21 10:54:46

We walked out of a Ken Dodd show in the June before he died the following March. A really great Comedian who went on for too long. I admire his tenacity but felt very sad because he should have rested on his reputation.

flaxwoven Tue 16-Feb-21 11:25:32

The Kenneth Branagh version of "Murder on the Orient Express". I fell asleep half-way through. It was awful, all about himself and hardly let the other actors get a word in. We also walked out of the Ken Dodd show a couple of years before he died. It got to midnight and he was still rambling on, so we crept out, heads down and the theatre was still packed. I saw him in the late 1970's in a holiday camp in Prestatyn when he was on top form, he was so funny and no swearing needed.

EvieJ Tue 16-Feb-21 11:30:59

YES
Mamma Mia!
I found it strange, seeing all those amazing actors singing and dancing.
Think i stayed for about 20 minutes, couldn't do anymore

Grandmabatty Tue 16-Feb-21 11:32:09

Murder in the cathedral by T S. Eliot in Stratford. Left at the interval as it was tedious. A friend and I went to see the Greatest Showman on the recommendation of others. Neither of us were enthralled. I thought it was over hyped and still do. I also disliked Branagh's Murder on the Orient express. His interpretation of Poiriot was well dodgy.

Dinahmo Tue 16-Feb-21 11:39:26

Kim19

Shampoo - Warren Beatty
Japanese film - was it Kwaidan? Ghost stories.