Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Terror

(171 Posts)
Eloethan Thu 04-Mar-21 01:22:17

Did anyone watch this tonight? I thought it was very well done - good acting, convincing scenery and very gripping (though rather gory).

supernanauna1 Tue 16-Mar-21 12:29:46

I thoroughly enjoyed it although after they left the ships it did start to drag a bit.

But why on earth did that poor dying man near the end have gold chains attached to his face and beard? I couldn't believe what I was seeing! Does anybody know what that bit was about?

And as for Cornelius Hickey - what a horrible man. Ugh.

suziewoozie Tue 16-Mar-21 12:50:12

supernanauna1

I thoroughly enjoyed it although after they left the ships it did start to drag a bit.

But why on earth did that poor dying man near the end have gold chains attached to his face and beard? I couldn't believe what I was seeing! Does anybody know what that bit was about?

And as for Cornelius Hickey - what a horrible man. Ugh.

All cultures have rites and customs around death and dying - I guess some cultures would find embalming pretty odd?

supernanauna1 Tue 16-Mar-21 23:19:49

Anybody else got a theory?

suziewoozie Tue 16-Mar-21 23:37:27

supernanauna1

Anybody else got a theory?

To safeguard him in the next life?

supernanauna1 Wed 17-Mar-21 12:55:46

Oh come on GNetters! Somebody must have some sort of logical answer to the question.

It's bugging me so much I actually dreamt I had gold chains on my face last night.

Alegrias1 Wed 17-Mar-21 12:58:15

I haven't got to that episode yet so I'll have a go at answering when I get there wink Currently trying to avoid spoilers here. grin

Urmstongran Wed 17-Mar-21 12:59:34

Try Google and let us know?

It’s a double bill tonight. Goody!

Urmstongran Wed 17-Mar-21 13:00:26

Catch up soon Alegrias then we can chat more freely!
?

Alegrias1 Wed 17-Mar-21 13:01:58

I've just got past the "meeting Inuit family on dry land not ending how I expected" bit UG!!

Urmstongran Thu 18-Mar-21 22:52:32

I’m loving this topic. It’s made me want to read up further on these intrepid explorers. Even the music from the drama sends chills down my spine.

British explorers took advice from "civilized" experts. ‘Primitive’ people who would not be acceptable guests in an upperclass drawing room were not consulted.

Roald Amundsen was an exception to this general rule, consulting the Sami and Inuit about clothing, equipment and supplies. Of course he was not a proper British gentleman either, but instead was a Norwegian explorer who was very familiar with those uncivilized Arctic tribes and their lifestyle.

Fridtjof Nansen who Roald sailed with on Fridtjof's unsuccessful attempt to drift to the north pole with the sea ice is another exception to the general rule, again consulting the Arctic dwelling tribes in order to learn how to survive the conditions they lived in. Again he was not a proper British gentleman, being a Norwegian explorer.

Robert Falcon Scott on the other hand was a proper English gentleman, so he took sensible woven fabric cold weather clothing instead of furs and included horses along with dogs and tractors for transport on the snow. These were perfectly sensible choices for a properly civilized gentleman. After all those Arctic primitives being uncivilized are not worth consulting.

Of these three explorers, guess which one did not return home after his last polar expedition.

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 23:07:32

Have just watched episodes 7 and 8. Continue to be impressed at how this was filmed and how cold watching it makes me feel.

Alegrias1 Fri 19-Mar-21 09:10:36

Still got the last one to watch, so no opinion on the gold chains yet.

But what were the forks for?!?!?

I don't mind waiting until everyone's seen it, but I need to know!

suziewoozie Fri 19-Mar-21 09:21:27

Watching last two this weekend some time - maybe then could start separate thread with spoiler alert in title to discuss?

Ilovecheese Fri 19-Mar-21 09:56:40

Re the gold chains on the mans face: they were the fabric chains from his gold coloured epaulettes, it was so cold that when the fabric brushed his skin it froze to it, as he tossed and turned about.

Ilovecheese Fri 19-Mar-21 09:57:41

That is not a spoiler, by the way, just an explanation.

Alegrias1 Fri 19-Mar-21 10:28:19

I thought it explained it well without any spoilers at all ilovecheese !

suziewoozie Fri 19-Mar-21 12:43:49

Alegrias1

I thought it explained it well without any spoilers at all ilovecheese !

A spoiler would be my telling you that in the last episode, the SAS helicopter in and rescue all the goodies and Captain Crozier is reunited with his true love - oh and Goodsir marries Lady Silent and they have lots of fur clad adorable little babies. Ohhhh- sorry ?

Greyduster Fri 19-Mar-21 14:11:22

Damn!!?

Alegrias1 Sun 21-Mar-21 19:05:13

Well I just watched the last episode on iPlayer. That was intense shock

I also have the answer on the gold chains, after Googling it, but I'll wait until the last episode's been on TV before I say anything!

Right, Line of Duty next!

MayBee70 Tue 23-Mar-21 14:20:25

I’ve actually googled the ending before watching the last couple of episodes which is cowardly of me. I did so initially because I couldn’t work out what was happening but I just kept on going. I am struggling a bit with the doctor being the nice funny guy from Motherland though. I didn’t realise the series was a few years old: thought it was more recent. It hadn’t dawned in me that the captain was the actor from Chernobyl. Yet again I find it strange that I’m looking on something like this as escapism from real life! It seems to happen to me quite a lot these days!

Urmstongran Wed 24-Mar-21 22:34:39

OMG‼️
Cornelius Hickey what are you up to in God’s name? ?

Humbertbear Thu 25-Mar-21 07:37:00

I’m really enjoying this. It’s a wonderful change from my usual tv fare. I am fascinated by Arctic and Antarctic exploration and have quite a collection of books on the subject. I know it isn’t all true but it’s good tv. I’ve had to stop telling my DD which bits are made up.
I wish there was more like this on tv, but then Shtisel Series 3 starts tonight.

Calendargirl Thu 25-Mar-21 09:53:14

I must confess to being a bit muddled by it all. I find it far more confusing than LOD and Unforgotten.

Not sure which sailor is which.

Goodsir (yes I do know which one he is), is so sweet in whatever role he plays. Looks like he is going to burst into tears all the time. He did last night of course.

suziewoozie Thu 25-Mar-21 09:55:05

When can we talk about how it ended - I have a view I wish to express but it would be a spoiler .

suziewoozie Thu 25-Mar-21 10:05:20

Here’s a musical interlude whilst I wait as mentioned upthread- Judy Collins North West Passage

music.youtube.com/watch?v=QXRFMHc2K70&list=RDAMVMQXRFMHc2K70