Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Terror

(171 Posts)
Eloethan Thu 04-Mar-21 01:22:17

Did anyone watch this tonight? I thought it was very well done - good acting, convincing scenery and very gripping (though rather gory).

Calendargirl Thu 01-Apr-21 07:16:58

MayBee70

I loved River. It’s the only thing I’ve seen that Nicola Walker is in although everyone raves about her. I’d’ve liked another series, too.

Afraid River did nothing for me. Couldn’t get into it at all.

SueDonim Thu 01-Apr-21 17:39:33

I’m still thinking about The Terror. hmm I’ve inflicted my theories about the loose ends of the story onto Dh this afternoon, poor chap. grin

MayBee70 Thu 01-Apr-21 19:03:34

I made DH watch the two episodes that were on last night even though he hasn’t seen the others.

MayBee70 Thu 01-Apr-21 19:05:20

I think the utube stuff I’ve watched has tied up most of the loose ends although the history buffs one didn’t seem to cover episode 10. I need to track it down.

Urmstongran Thu 01-Apr-21 20:11:27

I enjoyed last nights 2 episodes. Again. I wish the mythical beast could’ve been left out but I suppose it helped to generate the fleeing of the crew? The mutiny didn’t need it. Maybe it’s a metaphor for something but I’m too dim to realise.

One can only imagine the fear of these brave souls as the reality of their predicament began to hit home, in real life. These expeditions had no radar, no satellite, no communication with the outside world at all. They lived on their wits, the limited medical supplies of that era, the rank tinned food in addition to the artic conditions.

Jared Harris is playing a blinder.

The preparation for hanging, with his speech, was a tense scene.

MayBee70 Thu 01-Apr-21 20:27:15

The series is based on a book which includes the beast, though so it would have been wrong to miss it out. Also a series without it wouldn’t draw so much on the fact that the expedition was infringing on Inuit land which would result in affecting their way of life.

MayBee70 Thu 01-Apr-21 20:28:30

I didn’t really get the bit about the forks....

Alegrias1 Thu 01-Apr-21 20:37:54

MayBee70

I didn’t really get the bit about the forks....

Nor me.....I have a theory but I'll sit on it for now.

Urmstongran Thu 01-Apr-21 21:40:52

Hickey might not gloat so readily if he knew that some of his men are thinking of heading back to the ships.

Here is the man we love to hate!

Jane43 Thu 01-Apr-21 22:06:18

MayBee70

I made DH watch the two episodes that were on last night even though he hasn’t seen the others.

I persuaded my DH to give it a try after I’d watched it all and he thought it was so good he watched it all in three sittings.

MayBee70 Thu 01-Apr-21 23:29:58

I think DH still prefers All Creatures Great and Small....

SueDonim Fri 02-Apr-21 00:20:43

Oh my goodness, I have been so confused! confused . Dh and I rewatched the final episode tonight and it was different from the one we saw the other day! There were extra scenes at the end, in the village, which helped make a lot more sense. We hadn’t seen the man with the chains before, either. No idea what that was about.

Anyway, there now aren’t as many loose ends as there were this afternoon for me. ??

Good series, though, it’ll stay with me for a long time.

MayBee70 Fri 02-Apr-21 00:32:42

I’ve just watched another blog called Nightmare on Film Street and a HI TC one so I think I understand it now.

Calendargirl Wed 07-Apr-21 07:25:14

Watched the last few episodes on I player.

Couldn’t really follow what was going on, and had no idea who most of the sailors were. They all seemed to merge.

Recognised Captain Crozier, Edward, Mr Goodsir and the awful Hickey though.

MayBee70 Wed 07-Apr-21 12:21:10

That’s why I’ve rewatched it on my iPad close up. I’d missed so many small details (eg the ring, some relationships etc). I think I’ve got it all sussed now. And I did get everyone confused. I’d also missed most of a very important episode. Must have nodded off. Even the very first scene has an important detail. I think it’s one of the best things I’ve ever seen.

MayBee70 Wed 07-Apr-21 12:22:16

I think Jobsin, along with Goodsir was a lovely character. I hadn’t picked up on him first time round.

MayBee70 Wed 07-Apr-21 13:17:18

Jopson....

Atqui Thu 08-Apr-21 10:35:40

I watched the last episode last night and had to look away several times. For anyone who wants to check on details or confirm theories I found www. Screenrant very good

MayBee70 Thu 08-Apr-21 11:42:40

Thanks. I’ll check that one out. Just having a discussion with DD about the very end.

MayBee70 Thu 08-Apr-21 11:57:49

That tied up all the loose ends. Thanks.

MayBee70 Thu 08-Apr-21 12:15:55

I think the combined their ending with the ending in the book in an ambiguous way. I know how I’m going to interpret it anyway.

Atqui Thu 08-Apr-21 12:34:25

Yes interesting that in the book he went with Lady Silent. No one to talk to !!!

Alegrias1 Thu 08-Apr-21 12:41:03

SPOILERS!! smile

Atqui Thu 08-Apr-21 13:54:30

Don’t look til,you’ve watched it!!!!

MayBee70 Thu 08-Apr-21 16:19:06

Has anyone read the book? I’m tempted to buy it although I don’t seem to read much these days. I sometimes like to dip into a book to get a flavour if it.