Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Line of Duty - Series 6

(618 Posts)
muse Sun 21-Mar-21 12:34:53

Yes - finally. About to start tonight. 7 episodes. This is in my top three of great crime drama series. The Bridge is second with Shetland third.

The phone will be on silent and MrM had better not interrupt my pleasure. I think he's tempted to watch it though.

Jed Mercurio never ceases to come up with a great story line. Series 3 was probably be best so far for me.

Craftycat Tue 23-Mar-21 11:15:11

Yes I love it! I think it has started well.
I think Killing Eve was the best series for ages-especially the first 2 series, the 3rd was a bit of a disappointment TBH. \It is a shame the next series will be the last.
I also love The Killing & The Bridge- I don't mind the sub-titles. I do wish they would make more series of them now though.

Candelle Tue 23-Mar-21 11:16:08

Oops, dare I admit? I fell asleep!

Have enjoyed all past Lod series but having had a busy gardening day, all the acronyms sent me to Dreamland.

Why so many initials? Seemed almost another language - one I don't speak!

I had better re-watch or I won't have a remote chance of knowing what's going on in the next episode.
OAO.

tanith Tue 23-Mar-21 11:36:58

While on a walk this morning I listened to BBC Sounds podcast by Craig Parkinson (Dot) with Sarah Millican they dissected the first episode and came up with different theories a couple that hadn’t occurred to me.
Worth a listen

Keeper1 Tue 23-Mar-21 12:12:23

I am waiting (not sure how) so I can binge watch the series.

I love all the scandi crime series and convince myself I can understand what is being said, I can’t.

There was a French crime series that was quite good but it disappeared I think it was called Spirals??

Alioop Tue 23-Mar-21 12:13:33

I couldn't wait until 9pm on Sunday til one of my most fav programmes returned. Now I'm wishing I could of watched it again( haven't got catch-up). I got confused from the very start and really hoping next week will help me understand what in earth is going on. My friend isn't even going to watch next week as he was totally baffled. I love Ted's use of his wee N.Ireland sayings, at least I understood those.

Jennyluck Tue 23-Mar-21 12:32:38

Line of duty is my number 1, crime series. I am a massive fan, and know all the characters names.
The first series was my favourite, I’ve lost count the amount of times I’ve watched it.
So the new series is eagerly awaited.

BlueBelle Tue 23-Mar-21 13:03:27

Alioop I m a little bit with your friend but I will watch next week but can’t so far see what all the adoration is about

HannahLoisLuke Tue 23-Mar-21 13:34:03

I’ve never watched any if it. Been tempted a few times when others have raved about it but then the thought of all those bloody acronyms puts me off.

Shawlands2000 Tue 23-Mar-21 14:00:29

I love Line of Duty with all its twists and turns and do enjoy all the Scandi offerings such as Bordertown and the Bridge. One I got hooked on during lockdown is Spiral. What a cracker of a police series! 15 years worth to enjoy too.

Bluecat Tue 23-Mar-21 14:40:54

The first episode of a series is often confusing, as you try to work out who people are and what they're doing. This is particularly true of crime series. I've watched some that seem to be telling several different stories at the beginning and don't make much sense until eventually they join up. You have to give it time to get going.

The jargon is a bit confusing but I don't think it matters if you don't know what most of it means. If it's important for us to what "A1 on the Matrix" means, for example, presumably they will tell us. As for the unfortunately-named CHIS, I shall say no more.

I like Kelly Macdonald and think that she will be a good lead character. Everyone seems to remember her from Trainspotting, but to me she is the sweet police officer in Giri/Haji. (An excellent series, by the way, and well worth watching.)

I also like Steve with a beard, though I may be in a minority. He is rather cute - I like a man in a waistcoat. He does look even more irritated than usual. Possibly constipated as a result of all that codeine.

Iam64 Tue 23-Mar-21 15:05:39

Blue cat and low in mood, muggy headed as a result of too many strong pain killers and chronic pain. In reality, he should be off sick - therapy for the impact on the assault and help to wean off all those meds

Callistemon Tue 23-Mar-21 15:09:48

He does look even more irritated than usual. Possibly constipated as a result of all that codeine.
Should we send him some packets of soft prunes?

seadragon Tue 23-Mar-21 16:35:26

Keeper1

I am waiting (not sure how) so I can binge watch the series.

I love all the scandi crime series and convince myself I can understand what is being said, I can’t.

There was a French crime series that was quite good but it disappeared I think it was called Spirals??

Spiral came to an last year with Gilou and Laure walking off hand in hand. Can't stand LOD - seems I may be in a minority of one..

Littleannie Tue 23-Mar-21 16:44:57

Keeper1
They are all on i player.

grandmajet Tue 23-Mar-21 16:51:38

Thanks Tanith, the bbc sounds podcast is really good.

Jodieb Tue 23-Mar-21 16:52:58

I have never watched these series. (Don't know why) Is it too late for me to pick up? Not sure I can be bothered with iplayer.

Delila Tue 23-Mar-21 16:57:34

I just read an article from the Independent which suggests there was something significant about Steve’s flashing car-headlight signals to Kate when they had their clandestine meeting.

I’ll say no more to avoid any possibility of a spoiler.

suziewoozie Tue 23-Mar-21 16:59:49

Jodieb

I have never watched these series. (Don't know why) Is it too late for me to pick up? Not sure I can be bothered with iplayer.

I’d say no

Chestnut Tue 23-Mar-21 16:59:57

Jodieb

You need to start with Series 1 Episode 1 because there is a plot which winds throughout and it is very complex. Each series has a different story but they are all connected. And the earlier series are so good! We don't know yet whether this one is.

Iam64 Tue 23-Mar-21 17:17:29

I watched all of Spiral during this long lock down. I loved it, the scenes of Paris, the way their colonial past had come back to haunt them, the casual dress in CID, those flics running out to catch bad guys whilst pushing their guns in the back of their jeans. The way Gilroy/anyone would suddenly slap a suspect. Oh yes, all that shameless smoking. The way the French are casually unconcerned about use of language.

It was part Life on Mars, part the Sweeney - highly recommend ???

Iam64 Tue 23-Mar-21 17:18:08

That should say Gilou. Blinkin predictive text

Sealover Tue 23-Mar-21 18:24:34

Just love lod. We once binge watched on all the previous series to the point that it felt ac12 had moved in with us! Sad! Ted is looking a tad tired perhaps after all that walking in Ireland. Jed mercurio is a talented writer.

Iam64 Tue 23-Mar-21 19:01:52

Jed Mercurio is indeed talented. Lod has also had a strong cast, throughout

Hymnbook Wed 24-Mar-21 00:27:24

I've never watched it

GrannyRose15 Wed 24-Mar-21 00:30:30

Calendargirl

Is it just a PC word for a grass?

I thought they used to call them "informers", but grass probably does just as well grin