Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Thank you BBC

(103 Posts)
mokryna Sun 11-Apr-21 10:44:46

I would like to thank the BBC as to how they have respected The Duke of Edinburgh for the twenty-fours hours after his death was made known to us.
Some people have complained that they have missed the soaps, sport and other weekly/ daily programs which can be seen at a later date or switch to other channels.
I was very ignorant to many facts of his life and considering his life service to the UK and the Commonwealth, I think they couldn’t have done better

Loislovesstewie Sun 11-Apr-21 13:03:09

If the BBC wanted to show the life of Prince Philip on one channel fair enough. But on BBC 1,BBC2 BBC4, the News Channel? All the same programme for hours on end? No, that was too much.

Nannan2 Sun 11-Apr-21 13:04:44

The archers probably slipped through as Her Majesty must listen to it.?

Smileless2012 Sun 11-Apr-21 13:08:17

I've enjoyed the coverage and have learned a lot about Prince Phillip so thank you BBCsmile

suziewoozie Sun 11-Apr-21 13:08:53

jacqrose

Alegrias1 I’d like to think the BBC would have a rethink for the next time but on balance it’s likely to be the queen. Can you imagine what that’s going to be like. Really hope I can get away then suziewoozie

There’s clearly a chance I’ll die before her but if not, and travel is permitted, we’ll be in the car, Channel Tunnel and a small hotel deep in the French countryside. But then there’ll be the Coronation as well ..... <sigh>

Maggiemaybe Sun 11-Apr-21 13:12:53

jacqrose

Alegrias1 I’d like to think the BBC would have a rethink for the next time but on balance it’s likely to be the queen. Can you imagine what that’s going to be like. Really hope I can get away then suziewoozie

I came across this interesting article about what happens on the death of a monarch. I actually love history, tradition and all the pomp and circumstance and am hoping I’ll be around to witness all of this. Those who don’t had better have their escape planned!

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

Nannan2 Sun 11-Apr-21 13:14:05

Yes perhaps they could have just devoted ONE of the BBC channels to it(maybe the more 'high-brow' BBC 2or even 3?) And one BBC Radio channel? And in support, ONE Itv/or channel 4/5 channel- Itv 2 maybe? But almost all were hijacked for this- lets hope they limit his funeral to, well, just arrivals (of mourners) & then the actual funeral, if its to be on.We should brace ourselves for much (more) of the same when Her Majesty's time sadly comes. Doubt they will be sticking to the restrictions on funeral attendees though.

suziewoozie Sun 11-Apr-21 13:17:42

Maggie thanks for the heads up.

Nannan2 Sun 11-Apr-21 13:21:16

I tried to read the Gaurdian report, but it was going on a bit, and i quickly realised was an old one as it mentioned Prime Minister as 'she'....?

Nannan2 Sun 11-Apr-21 13:21:57

*Guardian.typo.

Mollygo Sun 11-Apr-21 13:28:37

It’s a great idea to escape abroad to avoid over repetition of stuff you don’t want to hear about.
I really appreciated that when we happened to be on holiday when Diana died.
It also means that you wouldn’t be watching the programs that were cancelled anyway.

allium Sun 11-Apr-21 13:31:00

Thank goodness for Netflix and Spotify. BBC very poor value these days.

Kim19 Sun 11-Apr-21 13:37:10

My understanding was that the late D of E constantly asked for 'no fuss'. I honestly regard the current overkill as somewhat dishonouring of him. Think two hours solid should have been maximum coverage other than updates on important dates and times of relevant forthcoming formalities. He would probably have regarded even that is too much. Sad.

Maggiemaybe Sun 11-Apr-21 13:37:34

Nannan2

I tried to read the Gaurdian report, but it was going on a bit, and i quickly realised was an old one as it mentioned Prime Minister as 'she'....?

Ah yes, I knew it was from 2017, Nannan2, but I’m guessing it’s still relevant. The Sebastopol bell will still toll and the Garter King of Arms, and his heralds will still be proclaiming. smile

rafichagran Sun 11-Apr-21 13:50:50

I agree with you OP It really does not bother me. I had plenty of other channels I could watch.

I cannot believe the posts on
here, for example leaving the country when something Royal happens, totally over the top. Just get on with your lives as normal, I have alot of things to worry about at the moment but the Royal family is not one of them. TV coverage will only be for a short time.

timetogo2016 Sun 11-Apr-21 13:58:54

Spot on Ilovecheese.

mokryna Sun 11-Apr-21 14:03:21

jacqrose

mokryna it’s been more than 24 hours, TV news stations were still interviewing people about it this morning. What else is there to say!

Blanket from 12h Friday to 12h Saturday when ‘normal’ programs resumed, understand that these programs had the same content. Maybe repetitive as it was global, it did depend if you had just switched on or were glued.

Polarbear2 Sun 11-Apr-21 14:04:00

Smoke and mirrors. Look at what they’re hiding behind the attempt at creating mass hysteria.

dianne2265 Sun 11-Apr-21 14:10:21

The BBC just made a travesty out of the whole thing. I agree it was the right thing to put on but if it had just gone out on BBC 1 or 2 that would have been enough. I am sure it would have been on the BBC News Channel as well.

MayBee70 Sun 11-Apr-21 14:14:20

Wasn’t BBC4 just a blank screen?

Mogsmaw Sun 11-Apr-21 14:21:14

I use the radio for company and my favourite radio station, BBC4extra, has been off air since Friday lunchtime and is scheduled to restart at 6 am tomorrow (66 hours, but whose counting). It was scheduled to recommence this morning so I’m not hopefully.
I lay awake for a second night in “respectful silence”. I am frankly sick of this, it’s not just moving some programs about, the whole station has gone! Replaced with Radio4 .

muse Sun 11-Apr-21 14:33:21

Agree with you rafichagran.
I don't have much time to watch or listen to anything much during the day. I caught the news announcement on the day (radio) but didn't listen to any more as I was working. We both caught up with the longer BBC news that night.

I watch predominantly BBC and some Channel 4 as well as listening to radio channels. They offer me what I want for entertainment and interest and, for me, my licence fee is very worthwhile. With playback on all free channels, I don't understand why all the moans, especially as many will have Netflix etc as well.

As you say Rafichagran TV coverage will only be for a short time

I'd be grateful if Polarbear2 could explain her comment confused

jacqrose Sun 11-Apr-21 14:37:54

suziewoozie I wish you a long life. I am also a fan of the French countryside, Charles Windsor not so much smile

Maggiemaybe thank you for the link. I think london bridge may be redundant now.

Alegrias1 Sun 11-Apr-21 14:47:36

I cannot believe the posts on here, for example leaving the country when something Royal happens, totally over the top.

Believe them, they're true. Because there is no escaping it in the UK, when there is a wedding particularly. Not just the TV, but papers, radio, everywhere. We have to go on holiday sometime, might as well do it when the whole royalty bandwagon is rolling on, full speed ahead. Nicholas Witchell, everywhere you look. grin

Well there are no holidays right now, but you know what I mean. smile

grannyrebel7 Sun 11-Apr-21 14:56:28

This was an historical event and should be treated as such. I totally agree with Mokryna that the BBC (and ITV come to that) did a fantastic job with the coverage. I watched it all night and found it very interesting and moving. I know not everyone is a royalist like me, but surely people can give up soaps and sport for one night to respect the passing of the queen's husband.

Mogsmaw Sun 11-Apr-21 15:05:10

grannyrebel7 one night? Three and counting!