Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Alice and her drink problem The Archers

(87 Posts)
Iam64 Tue 20-Apr-21 18:13:55

I’m finding the story line harrowing.
I realise Alice has a serious drink problem. I wish she and Chris would face reality. Go to their GP, which would trigger health visitor assessment and - tell their parents

LullyDully Mon 10-May-21 19:37:19

What is really annoying me is the ' temporary schedule'.

When we are going back to Friday and Sunday evening's on the Archers?. I wrote to the BBC again and had a load of rubbish about covid which didn't make a lot of sense. Other programmes are managing and they are not even radio.

I feel it's a back door way of saving money.

PippaZ Mon 10-May-21 19:45:58

There are quite a few older members of the Ambridge community. It may take a while for them to get back to the studio.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 11-May-21 20:51:20

They are discussing the psychology of Soaps, and the Archers in particular tonight in All in the Mind R4. Might just catch up with it later, may be interesting.

Elrel Thu 13-May-21 00:39:39

Ghastly Brian really is Mr Oblivious, incapable of contemplating that Alice is anything but clever and competent.

Kate54 Thu 13-May-21 05:14:52

* LullyDully* completely agree. I don’t think it will evercreturn to six days a week. The BBC have made no announcements about scheduling since last August.

Elrel Fri 14-May-21 01:25:39

BBC are planning to cut several hours of drama on Radio 4.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 14-May-21 09:19:36

I think drama has been one of the best things on the BBC which it still occasionally does well, but now with a reduced income. There is so much competition from commercial stations, and inevitably the BBC is in decline.
I believe that this is the government’s aim.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 16-May-21 10:11:01

OMG. Just seen realistic portrayal of baby faces on macaroons (for baby showers) on Twitter. Once seen never forgotten, be warned!

LullyDully Sun 16-May-21 21:55:55

Yuck. I won't sleep tonight. Baby macaroons.......why?????

Iam64 Mon 24-May-21 18:50:19

I listened to the omnibus yesterday, having missed some episodes during the week. Great writing and acting. All the key characters were superb, especially Alice and Chris. Her attempts to manipulate Jim, the awful switch from charm to threats were so realistic.
It’s as good as the coercive control storyline.

Scribbles Mon 24-May-21 22:55:17

After listening to the episodes of the past week or so, I have come to the unhappy conclusion that if, in real life, I had Jennifer for a mother and Soosan for my MIL, then I'd be on the booze, too.