Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

George Floyd the verdict....

(107 Posts)
MayBee70 Tue 20-Apr-21 22:05:20

...anyone else glued to the tv waiting....

* *[Title edited by GNHQ - from 'the waiting' to 'the verdict'] **

Shandy57 Tue 20-Apr-21 23:12:59

That's what's new Alegrias1, anyone in the world with a phone with a camera can now record incidents they are too scared to intervene in, but want the world to know it is happening, and it is wrong. The other police present should have stopped him, surely they weren't fearful he'd shoot them.

suziewoozie Tue 20-Apr-21 23:13:31

MayBee70

It seemed wrong having the eyes of the world on him as the verdict was announced: I felt uncomfortable with that. Until I watched the footage of what he had done that is.

I don’t agree with televised/filmed trials at all ( except Nuremberg)

mokryna Tue 20-Apr-21 23:20:12

Good news for once thank goodness.
The person who filmed the death said that they wished that they had helped George instead of filming. I think that they wouldn’t have been able to stop George’s death but having the film has brought justest

Savvy Wed 21-Apr-21 00:22:00

I haven't seen it as I don't have television, but it does make me wonder what the police have gotten away with in the past, before people were able to film things with their mobile phones.

BrightandBreezy Wed 21-Apr-21 00:50:19

I agree with your last post Savvy. Too often there hasn't been provable eye witness accounts on the scene. The footage showing George Floyd unable to breathe with other police just standing by was terrible. He was handcuffed and on the ground. Several police officers around him. There couldn't have been any need to kneel on him at all, let alone in such a dangerous way. He couldn't have been a threat to anybody.

Lolo81 Wed 21-Apr-21 03:24:02

Savvy

I haven't seen it as I don't have television, but it does make me wonder what the police have gotten away with in the past, before people were able to film things with their mobile phones.

Even with footage justice isn’t always served. Look at the Rodney King outcome as an example of that.

I’m interested to see how harshly Chauvin will be sentenced. That’s when the real indicator of how seriously the American justice system is actually taking this will be shown.

I mean the officers who shot and killed Breonna Taylor weren’t even charged for her murder - one of them did get into bother for a stray bullet going into the neighbouring house though.

The whole situation is vile.

nanna8 Wed 21-Apr-21 03:51:19

Haul in is quite an apt name for that man.

nanna8 Wed 21-Apr-21 03:52:02

Haul = Chauvin can’t think how that got changed

Jaffacake2 Wed 21-Apr-21 07:18:09

I feel sad for the 17 year old girl who filmed this. Apparently she was sent threats through social media from white supremacists plus she has those memories embedded in her mind. She sent her 9 year old cousin into the shop so she wouldn't have to witness what was happening .
I hope she has counselling to help her come to terms with watching a policeman murder someone. I also hope she is aware of how her brave actions have brought about a change in how police brutality is becoming accountable for its actions.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Apr-21 07:39:32

I watched the entire trial, except the concluding statements.

Justice has been done

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Apr-21 07:42:31

There was footage of Trump white supremicists jeering at people who were laying flowers at a shrine in Floyds memory.

silverlining48 Wed 21-Apr-21 07:47:37

We will have to wait until sentencing and hope it is a reflection of the crime and does not water it down,

Oldwoman70 Wed 21-Apr-21 07:52:26

I don't think any other verdict could have been brought in, if somehow he was found not guilty there would have been riots and further violence.

I think it is fortunate that we do have the footage because it does show his complete disregard for Floyd's welfare and that the verdict was the correct one. I do have some concern for his welfare whilst in prison - he will be a target, first for his crime and second because he was a police officer.

I do agree with the Judge who said that comments made by some politicians could provide Chauvin with grounds for a mistrial. They should have waited until after the verdict before making comments

Beckett Wed 21-Apr-21 08:02:24

Whilst I agree with this verdict - I do think there is a danger of turning George Floyd into a saint. It must be remembered he was a career criminal who once held up a pregnant woman with a gun. That doesn't mean I think he should have been killed - Chauvin obviously used excessive force and deserves to be punished for his death but that doesn't mean we should forget Floyd's victims

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Apr-21 08:04:20

I think one of the things that struck me were the comments of the police attending who said that the crowd were ugly and they (the police) were worried there would be trouble.

If you had heard that without seeing the footage you would perhaps have believed them, but it was absolutely not true. To my mind the few folk there watching the murder whilst pleading for his life were cowed to the extent that they stood back against the wall and absolutely no attempt was made to stop what took place.

Any interaction between the police and black by standers showed a section of American society cowed and frightened by the so called law makes.

It was stunning.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Apr-21 08:11:12

Yesterday a black girl was shot dead by American police.

EllanVannin Wed 21-Apr-21 08:25:02

No excuse for violence such as there was. It's because of violence meted out by the police which creates violence amongst the public and so it goes on ad infinitum.
No wonder there's no respect for the law.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Apr-21 08:43:12

Over the weekend a 13 year old boy was shot dead by the American police.

suziewoozie Wed 21-Apr-21 08:48:48

Beckett

Whilst I agree with this verdict - I do think there is a danger of turning George Floyd into a saint. It must be remembered he was a career criminal who once held up a pregnant woman with a gun. That doesn't mean I think he should have been killed - Chauvin obviously used excessive force and deserves to be punished for his death but that doesn't mean we should forget Floyd's victims

It is simply NOT true about the pregnant woman. Also whilst he was a convicted criminal, he had made attempts to sort himself out. The fact that there are lies about him on social media aimed at demonising him and thus minimising the seriousness of his murder, tells many of us all we need to know about racism both here and in the US.

Sarnia Wed 21-Apr-21 08:52:30

Correct decision. What I found shocking about the footage was that not one of the other police officers at the scene attempted to stop what was happening. Weren't they shocked by Chauvin's actions?

sodapop Wed 21-Apr-21 08:58:41

Sarnia

Correct decision. What I found shocking about the footage was that not one of the other police officers at the scene attempted to stop what was happening. Weren't they shocked by Chauvin's actions?

I agree Sarnia wonder if they will be brought to book

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Apr-21 09:00:44

Exactly suzi

Floyd had an opioid addiction, which is true of thousands upon thousands of people in the USA brought about by the overuse of pain killers by the doctors and fraudulent pushing by the big pharmaceuticals.

It affects all groups of society from the age if 12 upwards.

Floyd was constantly attempting to kick the habit and was clean for relatively long periods in his life. His petty criminal activity, like the alleged $20 counterfeit note was associated with this addiction.

PippaZ Wed 21-Apr-21 09:02:23

I know EllenVannin. I wasn't criticising, it's just that justice is what is needed and a trial ends in the verdict of your peers.

It's so important for America. My family, as always, was carrying on our tri-cornered conversation when I joined this thread. Just as we talk between UK, Australia and the U.S., the world is watching to see if justice can be done in America.

A thought from our conversation (Australia in this instance). "Well done the jury and well done the Police Department for not simply closing ranks to save face and for calling out the criminal using their uniform".

LauraNorder Wed 21-Apr-21 09:03:13

Absolutely the right verdict. I hope the sentencing reflects the crime and that Chauvin is sent down for life.
I just wish Biden had been able to trust the jury without interfering, hope he hasn’t strengthened the potential for an appeal.
No member of the public should ever fear the police. Those police officers who bring the force into disrepute are despised by fellow officers and the public alike.

25Avalon Wed 21-Apr-21 09:08:05

I am concerned Chauvin may be being sacrificed as a scapegoat by the police. By which I mean have the police acted to protect themselves by coming out against him to get themselves off the hook? Have the police apologised, have they revised their training methods, have they stopped shooting unarmed civilians etc? The whole police system needs overhauling.