Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Recommend some good films please (or tv series)

(48 Posts)
Polarbear2 Tue 27-Apr-21 20:30:47

I’m about out of options for something good to watch. I have Netflix, Sky and Amazon. Any recommendations welcome. I enjoy lots of different things but not over keen on documentaries or reality tv. Thanks

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 28-Apr-21 11:04:34

The only reality show that I have watched is called ‘this is my house’ 4 people have to convince the panel that the house they are in is theirs. It’s very good and we’ve only guessed one correctly so far.

JaneJudge Wed 28-Apr-21 11:19:26

I liked Schitts Creek too but my husband thought I'd gone mad grin
I presume you've watched Ricky Gervais, after life?
Queens gambit is brilliant ( series)
films;
A leap of faith
The Guernsey Potato peel society
Lady bird
A star is born
This beautiful fantastic
I like blinded by the light but apparently it's stereotypical and offensive
THE DIG!
I'm sure there are more, I tend to watch a lot of british films on netflix. There was one about a couple who had come to the end of their long marriage which I found a bit fascinating
Oh I watched a year in a life on prime but god it was sad!

Comedy
Motherland
Friday Night dinner
This country

There must be loads I have watched in all honesty blush

Rosalyn69 Wed 28-Apr-21 11:42:22

We are binge watching The Blacklist.
It’s typical American and lots of violence.
We are really hooked.

Shandy57 Wed 28-Apr-21 12:36:30

Netflix, Breaking Bad, it's amazing.

It is about a US based science teacher who discovers he has cancer, and he cannot afford the treatment. He partners up with someone and starts making crystal meth. Absolutely thrilling, I was sorry when it ended.

Iam64 Wed 28-Apr-21 13:38:55

Breaking Bad
Spiral - French flicks set in Paris. Subtitles but brilliant
Mrs America
The Trial of the Chicago 7
Anything with Tom Hanks

Sonatina7 Wed 28-Apr-21 13:50:50

'The Bridge' on bbciplayer. Absolutely compelling.
For comedy it has to be 'Friday night dinner ', it is just brilliant and made me laugh hysterically.

MiniMoon Wed 28-Apr-21 14:06:19

For films, if still available, I enjoyed;
News of the World
Dumplin'
Ebola Holmes
The house with a clock in its walls (to watch with older children)

TV series;
Warrior Nun (a bit violent at times but good)
The Good Place
Outlander.

Can't think of any more but will come back if I remember any others.

Woodmouse Wed 28-Apr-21 14:16:13

We've just finished Call My Agent. Excellent ?

JaneJudge Wed 28-Apr-21 15:00:46

the film on prime was A LIFE IN A YEAR not a year in a life! anyway its very sad so you might not want to watch it

Have you seen Mum? it's a BBC series, I think you can get it on something or other, it is BRILLIANT

JaneJudge Wed 28-Apr-21 15:01:53

UNcle is good too

Kate1949 Wed 28-Apr-21 15:52:48

We liked The Assassination of Gianni Versace. A bit over long but very good.
We're just in the process of watching a series called The Night Of which is also good

Polarbear2 Wed 28-Apr-21 19:22:00

Loved The Bridge and it’s similar other, The Tunnel. The Killing is in the same genre and currently on Prime but not free.
Saw Breaking Bad a few years ago. As I say, I’ve watched lots ! Again good suggestions though and thanks.

avitorl Wed 28-Apr-21 21:27:29

I've just watched "I Care a Lot" on Prime. Not my usual type of film but it kept me interested to the end.It is full of twists and turns in the plot and violent in parts .

Jane43 Wed 28-Apr-21 22:23:43

Kate1949

We liked The Assassination of Gianni Versace. A bit over long but very good.
We're just in the process of watching a series called The Night Of which is also good

We liked both of those too. The repetitive hopping back and forth in The Assassination of Gianni Versace was a bit annoying at first but when it got into his other crimes and his early life it was fascinating. The Night Of was very good indeed.

Seven Seconds is also a good series on Netflix.

Shandy57 Wed 28-Apr-21 22:51:31

I've just watched Leonardo on Netflix, it's starring my old favourite Aiden Turner. Not impressed, Aiden is acting it really badly.

Kate1949 Thu 29-Apr-21 09:41:03

Yes Jane the back and forth was a bit annoying. I thought the lead actor was brilliant. We finished The Night Of last night. Once again, great acting.
I realised the lead actor was up for an Oscar this year for the film about the drummer losing his hearing.

LondonMzFitz Thu 29-Apr-21 15:51:05

Iam64

Breaking Bad
Spiral - French flicks set in Paris. Subtitles but brilliant
Mrs America
The Trial of the Chicago 7
Anything with Tom Hanks

OMG Spiral, I literally finished the whole 8 series last night after a 4 week binge watch of all the series and want to weep. It is superb! Very dark, very gritty. Such great story lines. Utterly smitten - you can keep your convoluted Line of Duty!

I've also just commented on the Shtisel thread posted elsewhere and on this thread - again, subtitles but some of the dialogue is great, lots of comedy too.

Trial of the Chicago 7 - written by Aaron Sorkin who I'm such a fan of, his West Wing, and The Newsroom, excellent stuff.

Esspee Thu 29-Apr-21 16:32:49

All on Netflix.
Offspring is extremely good as is Rake both Australian.
Chesapeake Bay is the type of series you can comfortably watch with your children as is Heartland and Virgin River.
Modern Families is consistently extremely funny. Each episode is only about 20 minutes long. We tend to finish our evening’s viewing with one episode so we go to bed having had a good laugh.
Breaking Bad is an unmissable classic. It took us a while to get into the prequel Better call Saul but thoroughly enjoyed it too.
Rita is brilliant but not for the prudish as is clear from the opening 3 minutes.
The Border is good, a Canadian production about the US/Canadian border force.
Greenleaf is excellent. It is about the goings on underneath the surface veneer of a Memphis mega church. It took a couple of episodes to get into it but so glad we did.

Shandy57 Sat 01-May-21 15:30:04

I retract my comment about Leonardo, with Aiden Turner. I've now watched the whole season, it does get better and better.

Alishka Mon 03-May-21 13:00:40

Easy family watching - The Syndicate, BBC. I think it's a 6-parter in 60mns slots and the first 5 epis. are now up to view.
A group of friends working in a dog grooming/daycare facility buy a lottery ticket each week. One week there is only one winner - and they bought the ticket. Bloke who collects the winning ticket goes on the run. To Cannes. With his Irish Wolfhound.Neil Morrissey plays the bloke on the run who the others chase. Fab views of Cannes which I knew well back in the day, so an extra bonus for me.smile

Alishka Tue 04-May-21 10:06:17

And then, but deffo NOT for children, there's What We Do in the Shadows, where a group of vampires house-share on Staten Island. No idea which channel it's on,I Googled the series.Outrageously funny.grin

lemongrove Tue 04-May-21 10:14:28

A good film on Amazon Prime is called The Exception.Set in Holland from a German army officer’s viewpoint.Not what you would call a ‘war film’ it’s thoughtful and engrossing and a bit nail biting too.

Also on Amazon Prime a quirky supernatural/ horror tv series called Preacher ( a good sense of humour and acting throughout from all concerned in it too.)