Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Music around the house all the time or silence?

(115 Posts)
hamster58 Mon 03-May-21 12:16:44

My husband-and most people it seems-always has some form of music on in the background at home. I hate this. It’s not because I hate all music, it’s because for me, there are times when I enjoy listening to music but at home, if I’m doing chores or relaxing/reading, I find it irritating and distracting. I never turn it off while he’s around as that’s not fair, but am I very odd? What do others think??….

ClaraB Tue 04-May-21 18:07:04

My DH has put speakers in most rooms and loves to have music playing or the TV on, I really enjoy silence. I like to read and prefer it quiet so that I can concentrate. Luckily he will take himself off to another room but I can usually hear the music as he likes it quite loud.

albertina Tue 04-May-21 18:17:46

I grew up in an age where the BBC used to ask people listening to the radio with the window open to remember their neighbours and reduce volume. We are a long way from that kind of consideration.
In BBQ days I struggle to enjoy the fun while knowing that the loud music my daughter and family are playing will be disturbing someone around the house.
It's a hard one isn't it.

hollysteers Tue 04-May-21 18:47:09

Now I’m older, I don’t want/need music so much and husband dying nearly five years ago I find some pieces just upset me.
My sister said the same thing about losing interest in music as one ages, is it a sex/love/romance/hormonal thing? Mad on it when younger.
I always put the radio on in the background if a workman comes to do a job as it makes me feel relaxed with a stranger in the house rather than complete silence.

hamster58 Tue 04-May-21 18:58:06

Not sure if this reply will slot in to answer the person who asked if I'd asked my husband to use earphones, but no.... it didn't seem very kind. I just wait until I can enjoy my peace and quiet at other times

Wetnosewheatie Tue 04-May-21 19:04:15

I don't like
Music on unless I'm in the bath or in the car. Even then just like it low. I thought I was weird. I'm not. YAY

Magrithea Tue 04-May-21 19:24:12

I've just revisited my youth listening to 'Selling England by the Pound' by Genesis. DH always has music on , me not so much!

hamster58 Tue 04-May-21 20:08:40

Hello again to everyone who has joined in with my thread-I never expected it to be in the top threads!! It’s been great reading all your messages. Made me sad for those of you who are struggling with tinnitus or loneliness. It seems that men seem to like noise more than some of us ladies-but of course that could be me assuming most of us here ARE ladies, which may be completely wrong. By the way, I made the mistake of mentioning to my husband about Boom radio, as I’d not heard of it….guess what, he went to find it immediately and it accompanied our supper preps!!!! Oh well….Anyway, thanks so much everyone for joining in!!

SillyNanny321 Tue 04-May-21 20:31:49

Love music & reading but must have Planet Rock on all day every day as music is my life!

Hil1910 Tue 04-May-21 20:33:44

I usually like to listen to the radio whilst driving and when I’m doing housework but that’s about it.

glammagran Tue 04-May-21 23:18:12

Times Radio in the morning. Sometimes TuneIn Radio in the afternoon (jazzy station). Otherwise silence.

kissngate Fri 07-May-21 16:15:44

I love the radio would have it on all day if I could. Unfortunately my OH is a tele addict and turns up the volume as it drowns his Tinnitus. I bought earphones and connect to Alexa but it's not the same. Love the BBC sounds app I can always find a podcast that's interesting. Also like Ken Bruce on Radio 2 in the morning. LBC talk radio is another good channel although it depends on the topic under discussion. I find it helps get me motivated if I ask Alexa to play some of my favourite tunes. Can happily hoover to a bit of Motown.

Sallywally1 Fri 07-May-21 16:25:29

Another vote for silence, though I adore good music when in the mood. Usually have radio on when driving, though not always. I love silence so much I am considering getting some noise cancelling headphones. Radio 3 is my favourite station, though Alexa is handy for favourite songs. (And for turning the light on!).

My office environment is very noisy though, phones constantly ringing, people (patients - NHS environment) arguing and shouting, door constantly banging, constant interruptions. It’s no wonder I like quiet when I get home!

I think the modern world has forgotten the joy of silence and gentle living.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 07-May-21 17:02:40

Music on all the time. Can’t stand silence.

Lin52 Fri 07-May-21 19:48:16

Radio on , Boom for listening, and singing to, Radio 4 for chat.
On own so it’s company, silence when I read.