Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Is it time to stop calling the midwife?

(124 Posts)
Parsley3 Mon 17-May-21 09:41:53

I don’t like to a see a well loved series going past its sell-by date and after watching the last two episodes of Call The Midwife back to back I feel it is becoming a parody of itself. There are the set pieces - the births, Phylis and Mildred being efficient, the Buckles as comic relief - and the social commentary which is the only relevant bit really. The final straw for me was Dr Turner frightening his children with a skeleton. Surely buttoned up Sheila would never allow such frivolity in her house.
So what about a spin off around young Timothy going off to medical school and shocking his parents by becoming a hippie. It is the sixties after all.

Lucca Mon 17-May-21 09:53:06

I can’t bear it but accidentally zapped to it last night. What has happened that blonde nurses face ? Botox isn’t in it.

geekesse Mon 17-May-21 09:57:18

If you don’t enjoy it, don’t watch it! It’s not as if there aren’t dozens of other channels.

Callistemon Mon 17-May-21 10:13:44

Some of these series start off well then turn into soap operas eg Casualty.

Parsley3 Mon 17-May-21 10:22:57

geekesse I did enjoy it and I am commenting on the quality of the storylines. What do you think about it?

ExD Mon 17-May-21 10:32:50

They all have their 'default' themes (Emmerdale, Corrie, even Faulty Towers and Dinner Ladies - though the last two knew when enough was enough.)
All the same, Midwife is restful, gentle viewing with no unnecessary swearing, good when you need unchallenging viewing.
Its a pity it romped through the decades so quickly, its going to catch up with itself soon.

AussieNanna Mon 17-May-21 10:42:45

I love Call the Midwife (havent seen latest series yet though)

I guess all long running series have a couple of episodes that don't quite hit the mark or that some viewers dont like - but I dont think it is past its use by date at all and I hope it keeps on going.

Lucca Mon 17-May-21 11:14:40

geekesse

If you don’t enjoy it, don’t watch it! It’s not as if there aren’t dozens of other channels.

I don’t. I’ve only ever sat lazily watching the end bits really

MawBe Mon 17-May-21 11:15:00

I fear this may be true, when I look back at some of my favourite “classic” series, I am often surprised by how few programmes they actually made. The Good Life, for instance.
A friend who is the mother of one of the principal characters (a midwife) told me that her daughter chose to leave before this series was filmed as she felt it had run its course too.

Sarnia Mon 17-May-21 11:20:40

It takes a brave decision to stop making a successful series before it reaches it's best before date. Fawlty Towers only made a handful of episodes.

Grandmajean Mon 17-May-21 11:28:24

I watch it on a Sunday for an hour of viewing that isn't too taxing as we are also ploughing through "Line of Duty" which is hard work ! Saintly Shelagh and Patrick are beginning to amuse me - they are too good to be true. I love that they have all these children and have time to sort out everyone else's problems ! Am still enjoying it, though. Trixie's accent is posher than the Queen's !

Parsley3 Mon 17-May-21 13:14:44

My favourite character is Sister Monica Joan. I am glad that she has found her faith again.

BigBertha1 Mon 17-May-21 14:01:58

Definitely need something else in that slot on a Sunday evening. I gave up after the first series so repetitive and I never found anything associated with childbirth enjoyable either - hated doing obstetrics and declined midwifery training which was a good thing for the patients. Please take Mrs Brown's Boys off too - dreadful and not funny.

sodapop Mon 17-May-21 14:17:25

I read that Netflix were interested in taking on Midwife.

I like Sister Monica Joan as well Parsley

SueDonim Mon 17-May-21 14:40:26

I think there are two more series in the pipeline so it’ll be with us for a while yet! I haven’t tired of it, it’s a pleasant way to finish the weekend.

I watched four episodes with my dd last week. I didn’t know about the radiation problem - I knew about the tests, of course, but not about the effect so many years later on babies. ? My dd was also interested in the pre-legal abortion and pre-legal homosexuality aspects, which are things that are taken for granted for her generation.

GreyKnitter Mon 17-May-21 14:46:49

I love it and it still gets very good reviews on Twitter. Gentle, predictable I agree and deals with some important issues of the time, many of which are relevant now. I know lots of people who watch it and enjoy it. I guess the viewing figures inform how many more series will be made.

Calendargirl Mon 17-May-21 14:48:59

I’m sure Timothy will make an excellent doctor. He will spend all his time studying. Can’t imagine him getting up to high jinks with the nurses!

It’s marvellous how the midwives are not only available to deliver babies day and night, their job I know, but also pop round to check up on any needy parishioners, young and old, do shopping, accompany them on other appointments, act as marriage guidance, job interviewers (Trixie) and so on.

But yes, a restful Sunday evening’s viewing, with (mostly) happy endings.

Parsley3 Mon 17-May-21 15:33:11

I have not given up on it yet and I know I will stick with it to the end. I do hope Trixie finds a fellow.

Gannygangan Mon 17-May-21 15:34:53

Yes, I've heard that Netflix wants it. Obviously it's coming to a natural end though. How many expectant Mums call a midwife these days.

Maybe they'll just start in a new area and it can be shown endlessly with different casts

SueDonim Mon 17-May-21 15:37:52

Calendargirl a friend of mine knows the actor who plays Timothy. He’s a lovely lad in real life and very talented, musically. smile

Maggiemaybe Mon 17-May-21 16:26:51

I’m still enjoying it and plenty of others must be, or it wouldn’t still have its prime time slot.

Callistemon Mon 17-May-21 16:29:01

I do hope Trixie finds a fellow.
I did hear that the vicar comes back into the series (her fellow in real life).
So there are two possibilities for Trixie.

ginny Mon 17-May-21 16:34:51

Leave the midwives alone.
Lovely on a Sunday evening go just sit and enjoy. Nice people being nice to other nice people.
Get rid of Eastenders, Corrie and the like. Those characters wouldn’t know nice if it got them in the face.
Yep, you can take Mrs Brown too.

Lin52 Mon 17-May-21 16:55:20

Love this programme, although can be a bit nicely, nicely, but has tackled social and medical problems and gives viewers insight into the rise of the NHS and medical breakthroughs. No swearing, fab, just peoples lives and it’s not afraid to tackle the nasties, such as domestic violence, racism, and abortion, the lack of before the act of 1967, the awful treatment of young mums. Have started a re run because the weather is awful.

MayBee70 Mon 17-May-21 16:59:08

I don’t actually watch it now. Not that I don’t like it but, when I do accidentally hit upon it when channel hopping, the sad bits just make me unbearably sad and I stay sad for ages. And the very old midwife who seemed to have Alzheimer’s in the very first series still seems to be in it although she must surely be well over 100 now. I do think it shows us how grateful we should be for our wonderful NHS though. I do wish the lady who wrote the original book had lived long enough to see how successful it had been.