Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Bob Dylan

(39 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 29-May-21 09:23:03

A belated Happy Birthday.

For me Dylan was the back cloth to so much that I found important during my young life and has informed the way I think today.

His association with the Civil Rights movement - this thread comes right to the present day.

His protest song against the Vietnam War is an anthem that also resonates with so much in modern life.

He is a giant.

Anniebach Sat 29-May-21 09:27:30

I agree

rubysong Sat 29-May-21 09:31:39

Happy 80th Birthday to him. Lots of interesting programmes about him on BBC 4 last night. Some I watched, some I have recorded. I hope he is well.

Blinko Sat 29-May-21 09:31:41

A giant and a poet of his (and our) era. We were lucky enough to see him live a few years ago. Quite an experience!

FannyCornforth Sat 29-May-21 09:31:48

There was a brilliant series about Dylan on Radio 4 last week.
It was really interesting. You should be able to get it on BBC Sounds.

MayBee70 Sat 29-May-21 09:37:01

I bought my SIL a book of his songs after reading somewhere that they were on a par with the greatest of poets.. I must have a quick blast of Masters of War. Sarah is such a beautiful song and it saddens me so much that the relationship didn’t last. Then again, thinking about it, it was written in quite a melancholy key. Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands. Think I’m definitely going to have a Bob Dylan day!

MayBee70 Sat 29-May-21 09:37:49

FannyCornforth

There was a brilliant series about Dylan on Radio 4 last week.
It was really interesting. You should be able to get it on BBC Sounds.

I missed that. Thanks. BBCSounds yet again!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 29-May-21 09:40:42

MayBee70

I bought my SIL a book of his songs after reading somewhere that they were on a par with the greatest of poets.. I must have a quick blast of Masters of War. Sarah is such a beautiful song and it saddens me so much that the relationship didn’t last. Then again, thinking about it, it was written in quite a melancholy key. Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands. Think I’m definitely going to have a Bob Dylan day!

I am?. He’s going to be my back cloth for the day.

“Girl from the North country” at the moment.

Glorious words.

SueDonim Sat 29-May-21 13:55:53

Hard to imagine Bob Dylan at 80! smile. I like how he doesn’t give a damn what others think of him, he’s ploughed his own furrow.

trisher Mon 31-May-21 14:31:58

Lovely Dylan night on TV. "Masked and Anonymous" with him old and wrinkled then "Don't Look Back" with him so very young on his UK tour. I remember Joan Baez once describing herself and Dylan at that time as both still having their puppy fat. I've seen him live as well. Did an incredible version of Masters of War.
Hard to choose a favourite. I did find myself humming "It's all over now, baby blue" yesterday.
Happy Birthday Bob (belated)

Alizarin Mon 31-May-21 14:40:45

An absolute legend. I love so many of his lyrics, but these words in particular move me...

The wind howls like a hammer,
The night blows cold and rainy,
My love she's like some raven
At my window with a broken wing.

MayBee70 Mon 31-May-21 14:46:43

Thanks trisher. I was only thinking of Don’t Look Back and wishing I could see it again. Brilliant documentary. Will watch it on catchup!

Ilovecheese Mon 31-May-21 15:26:13

Does anyone sing protest songs these days? I'm not up to date with modern music.

MayBee70 Mon 31-May-21 16:47:52

Paloma Faith is pretty political albeit not fitting in with one’s idea of a singer of protest songs! And Gary Numan’s latest album is all about climate change (love Gary)!

Vickysponge Mon 31-May-21 17:06:05

Completely agree. A legend and a giant. I have every album he has made. One of my favourites albums The times they are A - Changin’ is one he recorded in 1964 - stops me in my tracks everytime I play it. Brilliant stuff.

nanaK54 Mon 31-May-21 17:44:58

I agree an absolute legend, I was lucky enough to see him perform live at the old Wembley Stadium many moons ago

SueDonim Mon 31-May-21 17:55:07

I’ve only seen Bob Dylan once, unfortunately in his born-again Christian phase, and it was a terrible gig. He wasn’t very present, there was just a gospel choir on stage for much of it. confused He got roundly booed.

However, Dh and the dses have seen him several times since and he’s been excellent.

MayBee70 Mon 31-May-21 18:02:09

People that have seen him recently weren’t very impressed. Having said that I’d like to have just seen him whatever he was like.

Fennel Mon 31-May-21 19:51:35

I missed out on Bob Dylan's early days ( working, having children) but became involved when I started to join forums and catch up with popular music.
I joined Expecting Rain (still a member).
But the main thing that drew me in was the ?2005 documentary Don't Look Back.
I've never seen him live but have recent CDs.
Mazal tov on your 80th, Bob.

MayBee70 Mon 31-May-21 21:47:15

That was a brilliant documentary. Some say the best thing Scorsese has ever done.

Lucca Mon 31-May-21 22:46:48

Listening to Dylan in the car other day with my bloke, one of my favourites came on and I asked bloke if he thought it would be considered in poor taste or quite amusing to request it be played at one’s funeral.

It was Knock knock knocking on heaven’s door.,.

Lucca Mon 31-May-21 22:48:39

I love “don’t think twice it’s alright”

trisher Tue 01-Jun-21 09:55:23

Don't Look Back is written and directed by D. A. Pennebaker. It covers Dylan's 1965 tour.
No Direction Home is Scorcese. He uses some of D A Pennebaker's film and some footage which covers later tours, found in DAP's basement. He acknowledhges his debt to DAP

nanna8 Tue 01-Jun-21 10:00:15

I’ve always loved Dylan, never grew out of it. We often listen to utubes of his music. I’ve seen him in concert twice. The first was absolutely magic but the second time not so good, he was on only a short time and kept prissing with his hair, a bit wanky. Ah well, with his fame it happens I suppose.

SueDonim Tue 01-Jun-21 13:19:53

Lucca, Knocking on Heaven’s Door was the final song at my darling sister’s funeral two years ago. I nearly fell off my pew in shock, as it was the most unlikely choice I could imagine my endearingly old-fashioned sister making. ❤️❤️❤️