Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Vigil on bbc1

(209 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 30-Aug-21 08:36:38

I started watching this half heartedly last night as it has the same small pool of current popular actors and actresses in it, and one of them i am not really keen on. But to my surprise it drew me in. The setting of being underwater in a submarine is different and i am looking forward to the next episode this evening.

Namsnanny Mon 30-Aug-21 15:49:39

My Father was in subs, although not nuclear. Wish he was alive to discuss this with.

Calendargirl Mon 30-Aug-21 15:50:17

Spoiler alert hmm?

But it’s already been screened last night. If people have recorded it to watch later, then they really shouldn’t read the reviews if they don’t want to know what’s happened.

Different if several episodes are binge watched before screening, in that case the plot shouldn’t be revealed, IMHO,

Lillie Mon 30-Aug-21 16:51:07

i cant see any spoiler alerts here either
posters are allowed to say , i am assuming that, i am guessing, i suspect

Eloethan Mon 30-Aug-21 16:53:12

Yes, it was really good - well acted and exciting.

Eloethan Mon 30-Aug-21 16:54:28

There was a spoiler re the demise of one of the characters. It was a classic Line of Duty ploy.

Grammaretto Mon 30-Aug-21 16:59:38

I was gripped too. Really well done and chilling.
Please can we have a few kind characters though .
Thanks for the reminder that it's on tonight. I just left the tele on after Antiques Roadshow and got drawn in..

MerylStreep Mon 30-Aug-21 17:02:50

Namsnanny
My dearest friend was on nuclear subs in the 80s
There was some seriously scary stuff going on which thankfully
we were unaware of.

M0nica Mon 30-Aug-21 17:02:57

Didn't see it and probably won't. For 24 hours DH was trapped underwater in a mini submarine with three others, no room to move and minimal sanitary facilities. I got the 'I don't want to worry you, but...' phone call.

I have, as they say, had the experinece, seen the video and bought the T shirt. I 'll leave any dramatisations to other people.

M0nica Mon 30-Aug-21 17:06:52

MerylStreep Our best friend was on the nuclear subs 60s-90s and his son, our godson commanded one roughly from 2010-15. I have been on (moored in a dock) nuclear subs, British and French, they are huge and open, but DH's experience, put me off all smaller subs.

BlueBelle Mon 30-Aug-21 17:10:11

Just watched it on Catch-up and it was really really good my word I could not go in one of them for a million pounds

Deedaa Mon 30-Aug-21 17:36:31

MOnica That reminds me of the time DH rang me at work in the early 70s. "I'm just ringing to say I'm fine" he said. When he didn't get much response from me he said "I'm parked outside the Old Baily and the IRA have just bombed it! The news hadn't percolated out of London at that point.

Amberone Mon 30-Aug-21 17:45:00

Hadn't heard about this, so thanks. Apparently it was made by the same people as 'Line of Duty' so that's why lots of the same faces.

I worked on submarine defence systems back in the eighties. I spent quite a lot of time in Devonport and Glasgow, visiting submarines for software testing. They wouldn't take me out though, apparently the captain had to give up his berth if there was a female on the boat ? My team spent about three weeks one year in the Bahamas, while I was left in London doing paperwork ?

MerylStreep Mon 30-Aug-21 17:54:37

MOnica
I’m not frightened of much but that is the stuff of nightmares for me.
I love submarines, the bigger the better ?

Aldom Mon 30-Aug-21 19:21:16

I have a phobia with the sea and after watching the horrendous scene when the fishing vessel is dragged under the sea I had to turn off the TV. My father was career Royal Navy. Also went through WW2. He said he could never have worked on submarines.

Callistemon Mon 30-Aug-21 20:15:15

Just catching up on episode one.

When they make a classic mistake in the opening ten minutes it's very off-putting.

Callistemon Mon 30-Aug-21 20:17:10

Esspee

OH was a submariner. He will no doubt spoil it by pointing out all the inaccuracies. ?
We will be binge watching it. Our memories are not good enough to wait a week between episodes. ?

grin

Shall we count them?

MawBe Mon 30-Aug-21 21:36:38

They’ve just hit (or narrowly missed) a tanker apparently.
And people complain about my driving! ????

Callistemon Mon 30-Aug-21 22:39:47

I will have to ? next time as I kept commenting and asking questions. Apparently I must ignore the bloopers.

Grammaretto Mon 30-Aug-21 22:44:03

Our heroine does seem an odd choice to be sent to a submarine by her employers, who presumably knew she has acute claustrophobia. It is fast losing credibility for me - and why such a lot of violence?
Give me Morse every time.

MawBe shock grin

Callistemon Mon 30-Aug-21 22:48:23

Bingo Grammaretto!!

I did wonder why they needed her to solve it as they already had Endeavour on board!
(It took me a while to realise, it's the voice ?)

dogsmother Mon 30-Aug-21 22:58:02

Nams me too, WW2 Submariner dad. Always so proud of him for that. Known as dolphins.
So definitely makes the series even more enjoyable.

Callistemon Mon 30-Aug-21 23:28:24

It is tense and I am enjoying it so shouldn't pick fault.

I couldn't have been a submariner

Chestnut Mon 30-Aug-21 23:56:17

Grammaretto

Our heroine does seem an odd choice to be sent to a submarine by her employers, who presumably knew she has acute claustrophobia. It is fast losing credibility for me - and why such a lot of violence?

MawBe shock grin

Not only claustrophobia but pills for anxiety and depression! She's not a very stable person to go on a mission like that. Still enjoyed it though, and will keep watching.
I thought the submarine interior very realistic, are we sure it was just a set and not filmed in a submarine?

M0nica Tue 31-Aug-21 07:21:52

Deedaa A friend had a similar experience after the Moorgate crash. She used the same train and station but got to work about an hour before the crash. When everyone (including me) began ringing her up after the crash was on the news, to check she was OK, she was quite puzzled and had to have everything explained as she was unaware the accicent had happened.

Pittcity Tue 31-Aug-21 07:31:41

It was not filmed on a submarine as the ceilings are too high. This was pointed out by a submariner on TV yesterday.
DS is in the Navy and has pointed out lots of inaccuracies. The uniform is all wrong. Officers wear the same blue uniform as everyone else while working for instance, not white shirts.
DH thinks the guy who didn't see the tanker coming isn't a submariner but working undercover to find out what's going on.
We're loving it.