Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Vigil on bbc1

(209 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 30-Aug-21 08:36:38

I started watching this half heartedly last night as it has the same small pool of current popular actors and actresses in it, and one of them i am not really keen on. But to my surprise it drew me in. The setting of being underwater in a submarine is different and i am looking forward to the next episode this evening.

Callistemon Mon 20-Sep-21 14:42:18

cue offstage shouts of ‘come in number 57, your time’s up!’
??

Atqui Mon 20-Sep-21 15:05:14

KateK Absolutely agree with you . We have ex police and ex medical who criticise dramas for authenticity. I’m not wanting to watch a documentary about any of them!!
By the way , what’s the name of the nasty man in the hazmat suit who put DCI Silva in the whatsit?

trisher Mon 20-Sep-21 15:07:37

I suspended all thoughts about reality and accepted most stuff until they put Suranne into a deep sea diving suit and this remarkable woman in spite of her anxiety, her fear of enclosed spaces and her absolute ignorance of safety factors bravely set out to rid the boat of nerve gas.
Then I just cracked.
You're right Where is Thursday when you need him Katek? And I very much fear Morse has had it.

Jaxjacky Mon 20-Sep-21 15:13:53

It’s non taxing Sunday evening entertainment, taken with a pinch of (sea) salt here.
Spoilt we were with Line of Duty…

Callistemon Mon 20-Sep-21 15:16:30

Now the cook has karked it they need Mrs Thursday to keep up their strength by making piles of sandwiches.

Lizzie72 Mon 20-Sep-21 15:18:43

taken with a pinch of (sea) salt here
Love it! And so true! It’s getting pretty ridiculous.

theworriedwell Mon 20-Sep-21 15:23:31

Jaxjacky

It’s non taxing Sunday evening entertainment, taken with a pinch of (sea) salt here.
Spoilt we were with Line of Duty…

I loved Line of Duty, my ex police officer husband saw bits and couldn't believe how ridiculous it was.

Katek Mon 20-Sep-21 15:48:16

HMS Vigil
Lunch Menu w/c 20/9/21

Monday - cheese and pickle,
Tuesday - luncheon meat,
Wednesday - fish paste………..

gringrin

Atqui Mon 20-Sep-21 16:41:25

Did anyone watch the 1st episode of Holby after pandemic took hold? We might have watched the news, so I’m all for a bit of dramatic license !

lemongrove Mon 20-Sep-21 16:45:47

Callistemon

^They seem to be overheating the plot.^
They're all getting overheated now, Chestnut ?

trisher it pushed the boundaries of belief from the beginning but now it is completely in the realms of fantasy
(To coin another cliche ?)

What a load of piffle.

Just what we thought, as each episode brought up more nonsense.?
Still....have go see it out to the bitter end, the 5th episode tonight, followed by the second Endeavour ( which hopefully will be much better than the first!)

lemongrove Mon 20-Sep-21 16:55:50

Katek I agree up to a point....but the thing is, if too many obvious mistakes are made, be it with uniforms ( and there was no reason why, with a bit of easy research, they should have got them wrong) or dialogue or people doing unbelievable things, then the whole thing between film and viewer dissolves.To work really well, disbelief has to be suspended which enables us to be gripped by what we are seeing and forget for a while that they are acting.
My litmus test for a good drama is whether I just watch it happily or think ‘acting!’

railman Mon 20-Sep-21 17:11:32

Katek - brilliant comment, I especially liked this:

"Even a single cameraman and sound guy just wouldn’t fit, so the whole interior has been built as a set and I think they’ve done a pretty good job trying to fulfil the set requirements. The production company couldn’t really rock up to Faslane and ask to hire out a nuclear sub by the day ( cue offstage shouts of ‘come in number 57, your time’s up!’)."

I half expected to see a Vickers (sorry VSEL) electrician, technician, plumber and or various others - hiding around the corner of those well spaced missile tubes. (Obviously keeping a 2m distance!!)

The story's entertaining though - reminds me of the incident a few years ago, when a security guard swam across the dock, hoping to remove one of the tiles from the vessel then being fitted out. He was caught and prosecuted.

Pittcity Mon 27-Sep-21 09:14:17

It just got too unbelievable at the end.
We were more interested in looking for anomalies like the captain's epaulettes losing and gaining stripes and the wrong berets on the marines.

travelsafar Mon 27-Sep-21 09:21:21

It gave me a headache, the tension of not knowing how it would pan out with the TUBE!!!! Then when the water started pouring in that finished me off completely. I now know i could never go in a submarine as just watching this made me feel so anxious!!! shock

Calendargirl Mon 27-Sep-21 09:25:04

Well, I stuck with it but felt it ended up rather farcical.

So was Poppy not her own daughter? I seem to not follow the personal relationship part. My DH felt far too much time was devoted to the lesbian on/off business.

It didn’t seem a good recruitment advert for the navy.

Sar53 Mon 27-Sep-21 10:06:11

Poppy was the daughter of her male partner who died.

A tad farcical at the end, shame really.

Callistemon Mon 27-Sep-21 10:09:58

At least we got a couple of minutes of Martin Compston near the end!

Boz Mon 27-Sep-21 10:20:47

Calendargirl

So was Poppy not her own daughter? I seem to not follow the personal relationship part. My DH felt far too much time was devoted to the lesbian on/off business.

So agree. Too much emphasis on personal relationships in a lot of these programmes. Is it to gain a voyeuristic audience?
Although a good actress, I am getting a little tired of Suranne - overexposed.

Curlywhirly Mon 27-Sep-21 11:14:01

Last night's episode was farcial - the part where Suranne and other officers grappled the spy to the ground and a very exhausted Suranne dragged herself up and miraculously found the breath to announce that she was putting him under arrest had both me and my husband laughing out loud!

Jaxjacky Mon 27-Sep-21 11:20:51

Callistemon best bit about it!

Callistemon Mon 27-Sep-21 11:57:39

Curlywhirly

Last night's episode was farcial - the part where Suranne and other officers grappled the spy to the ground and a very exhausted Suranne dragged herself up and miraculously found the breath to announce that she was putting him under arrest had both me and my husband laughing out loud!

She got over her ordeal very quickly, didn't she!
After all, she'd been in there for a whole week from one Sunday to the next.

Callistemon Mon 27-Sep-21 11:58:21

And why didn't she lock the door behind her?

trisher Mon 27-Sep-21 12:07:11

At least Morse wasn't the baddy!
I thought the overacting was so funny. Especially when he stabbed the officer.
It was entertaining .

Petera Mon 27-Sep-21 12:20:47

Of course the submarines are based in Scotland, but is it accurate that so many of the crew are Scottish? (It may be - I have no idea - it just doesn't seem that it's the sort of job that you'd see in the local jobcentre)

Petera Mon 27-Sep-21 12:22:31

Calendargirl

I couldn't tell, but maybe my lack of concentration, whether the lesbian relationship came before or after the car crash.