Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Manhunt

(61 Posts)
Hellogirl1 Thu 23-Sep-21 17:16:59

Is anyone else enjoying this? I`ve never really been a Martin Clunes fan, but after watching the first Manhunt series I changed my mind, he`s a fine actor. I`m now watching, and loving, the present series, which ends tonight.

Kandinsky Fri 24-Sep-21 07:58:04

Classic case of ageism - the press weren’t interested because the victims were old.
The police even admitted had the victims been young women more money & resources would have been thrown at the investigating. It took 17 years to catch him.
Although the mistake with the DNA didn’t help. angry

sodapop Fri 24-Sep-21 12:24:53

That was the one Beechnut thank you.

Namsnanny Fri 24-Sep-21 12:39:25

Kandinsky

Classic case of ageism - the press weren’t interested because the victims were old.
The police even admitted had the victims been young women more money & resources would have been thrown at the investigating. It took 17 years to catch him.
Although the mistake with the DNA didn’t help. angry

My thoughts Kandinsky.
4 reviews and no one picked up on the mistake of not following up the Delroy Grant to get his DNA.

Jane43 Fri 24-Sep-21 13:54:51

I started to watch this but I’m sure it has been on before. Does anybody know if it is a repeat?

Smileless2012 Fri 24-Sep-21 13:57:00

There was another series based on the same detective but a different case Jane.

Chestnut Fri 24-Sep-21 17:21:41

Jane43

I started to watch this but I’m sure it has been on before. Does anybody know if it is a repeat?

Series One was from 2019 and Series Two (the Night Stalker) are both on the ITV Hub catchup.

Witzend Fri 24-Sep-21 17:28:49

Rosie51, ditto to MC in Goodbye Mr Chips. An outstanding performance IMO.

Aveline Fri 24-Sep-21 18:12:42

Well. Gosh that was good!

Lovetopaint037 Fri 24-Sep-21 18:59:26

We remember this case only too well as the assaults were local to us. In fact my dd’s next door neighbour was an intended victim. My dd has a Labrador who was making a great fuss in the garden one evening. They went down the garden asking her what the matter was as she was continuing to bark. The next morning my dd noticed a towel had been wrapped around her neighbours security light. Not long after she noticed a man walking up and down outside and he then knocked to introduce himself as a policeman. She then learnt that someone had attempted to break in next door where her elderly neighbour lived. The police believed the dog barking had stopped his break in attempt. Her neighbour used to say that she liked the dog to bark as it made her feel more secure.

lemongrove Fri 24-Sep-21 19:15:06

Great drama wasn’t it.Of course being based on a true story it was also horrifying.
What a relief when they got him! The banality of evil.

silverlining48 Fri 24-Sep-21 19:17:38

My poor mum was almost certainly a victim. He took more than her life savings, he stole her peace of mind and her dementia progressed so fast she ended up in a locked psychiatric unit.

Sweetpeasue Fri 24-Sep-21 19:42:00

Oh silverlining48 that's despicable I'm so sorry. Your poor mum! These evil people should never be let out of prison again. It's not only the victim but the widespread affect on the family too. If mistakes hadn't been made many victims could have been saved. Why do we, as a society, place older people so far down the list of priorities in so many areas? Even in health, physical and mental they(we) are overlooked. It does make me angry. So very sorry silverlining48

silverlining48 Fri 24-Sep-21 19:47:52

Thank you sweetpeasue. Yes it a was terrible trauma, and a very hard watch.

Sweetpeasue Fri 24-Sep-21 20:12:41

My mum's bungalow was broken into and lots stolen while she was 2 weeks away from death by Pancreatic cancer in a hospice. I don't know how she'd have fared if she'd been home. She never found out.

silverlining48 Fri 24-Sep-21 20:24:15

Oh so very sorry Sweetpeasue, that’s dreadful.
At least your mum wasn’t there, if that’s a tiny consolation.

Sweetpeasue Fri 24-Sep-21 20:28:54

Thankyou silverlining48.

ayse Fri 24-Sep-21 20:31:19

Both are on BritBox minus the ads. ITV seems to put current serials on at the same time a general showing.

Justwidowed Fri 24-Sep-21 21:33:25

I thought it was very good .Martin Clunes was excellent. His wife, Phillippa Braithwaite, is the executive producer of the series and the same on Doc Martin.Tgey seem to work well together.

travelsafar Mon 27-Sep-21 09:13:33

I started watching this and thought should i? Being on my own now it felt a bit scarey. But i enjoyed it in the end especially the process of how the police nowadays deal with these kind of cases. MC i found quite attractive in a geeky kinda way, he came across as being a very kind person and the sort of man who could sort out anything. smile

silverlining48 Mon 27-Sep-21 09:15:33

Think there is a programme this week with the real life Detective involved.

GillT57 Mon 27-Sep-21 09:22:29

This was a well acted and produced drama and MC was excellent. It was good at showing the tedious, boring hours and hours involved in a police operation, it is not all zoom and crash as some dramas portray it. So sorry for your trauma silverlining, what a horror for your family, and I think it is accepted that there were many more victims.

Aldom Mon 27-Sep-21 11:03:45

silverlining48

Think there is a programme this week with the real life Detective involved.

I watched the programme on ITV hub featuring the real life detective and others involved at the time. It followed immediately after the end of the dramatised version. Martin Clunes and the actual detective were very similar in appearance.

Sarnia Mon 27-Sep-21 12:22:54

2 excellent series. What disturbed me in both the Levi Bellfield and the Night Stalker programmes were the mistakes made by the police which could have ended both reigns of terror earlier and saved lives. Police are human, I appreciate that, but how hard it must be for families of the most recent victims to hear that some error resulted in the perpetrator slipping through the net and killing their loved one.

silverlining48 Mon 27-Sep-21 14:46:17

Thanks Gill.

Early Mon 27-Sep-21 15:08:10

I really enjoyed these two series. I know it's a trope of all cop dramas that you have to have tension and disagreement between senior officers but these cases are true stories.

In Night Stalker, the long-time SIO was so wedded to breaking the case through DNA that he wouldn't look at any other way of solving the crime. His ego came before efficiency. I loved Sutton's subtle but firm insistence that they try different approaches.

One-by-one different members of the team expressed their doubts and concerns about how things had been handled.

Delroy Grant would have been arrested years before had they considered the burglary aspect. That and data entry errors meant Grant was in the system but HOLMES didn't flag him up as a potential suspect. So, yes, I agree with you Sarnia.