Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Grantchester

(90 Posts)
Calendargirl Fri 01-Oct-21 22:02:55

Oh no, poor Leonard!

?

sodapop Sat 16-Apr-22 21:52:53

I got the feeling that was the last Grantchester as well. A bit disappointing everything was tidied away a bit too neatly and quickly for me.

Calendargirl Sat 16-Apr-22 18:00:32

It was set in 1959 gillgran

gillgran Sat 16-Apr-22 17:02:58

Thank you Chestnut, I'm very old now, but I could have been a bridesmaid then..!! hmm

I'm trying to remember the year "Grantchester" was set in this end of the series?

Pepper59 Sat 16-Apr-22 15:40:25

Thank you Chestnut. Yes, it had that final feel, didn't it. I just so love this drama, but yes, I don't think a vicar would have such an energetic sex life in those days. Mrs C's story was really well done and glad she recovered. Looking forward to the next series.

Chestnut Sat 16-Apr-22 15:33:46

It seems to be coming back in September 2022. Don't know where they will go with that as it will just be more of the same with Will married. Unless they have a new vicar?

I'm afraid you are too late for the wedding gillgran as it happened several decades ago! ?

gillgran Sat 16-Apr-22 15:03:26

Yes, Calendargirl, you'll have to re-watch, (if you haven't already done so.!!)

I may have to have another watch, as the end was tied up very quickly, I thought I must have drifted off & missed a bit..!! smile.

As such ardent fans, they ought to have invited us to the wedding.! (not too far for me to have travelled)! grin

Does anyone know if that was the final-FINAL episode/series?

Calendargirl Sat 16-Apr-22 11:13:04

Thanks Chestnut, yes, will have to re-watch.

Chestnut Sat 16-Apr-22 09:21:28

Yes, it was the last episode and certainly seems to tie up all the storylines very neatly. There is no cliff-hanger to keep us wanting more. You'd better watch the last episode on catchup as a lot happened! In fact it all tied up very quickly at the end with a sudden wedding. It's a feel good programme so I don't have a problem with any unrealistic aspects, I just love seeing the vicarage covered in wisteria and the beautiful riverside views near Grantchester every now and then.

Calendargirl Sat 16-Apr-22 07:34:52

Have to confess I nodded off in Grantchester this week, (no change there).

Can anyone fill me in on what happened as I don’t want to re-watch it. One minute Will had been stabbed, Geordie and Bonnie dashed in, then when I woke up, Will and Bonnie were married, and Geordie and Will were declaring undying love for each other.

What happened to the housekeeper? Did she recover from her cancer?

I assume that was the last episode, maybe permanently.

Nannarose Mon 11-Apr-22 14:01:55

Calendargirl

Where was Leonard this week?

Silly Will, when will he realise it’s Bonnie he’s meant to be with? Think he realise’s it’s not Maya.

Mind you, Bonnie seems very forward for 1959.

Not keen on the new Cathy, but if it makes Geordie happy…..

I think it quite relevant that Bonnie is a widow, not a single woman. I remember the gossips being much more understanding of 'widder-women' than of spinsters!

Atqui Sun 10-Apr-22 22:13:06

Just hope he really has given up on maya .

Polly73 Sun 10-Apr-22 18:49:57

I thought their ‘reunion’ was rather touching smile

Calendargirl Sun 10-Apr-22 15:30:59

Where was Leonard this week?

Silly Will, when will he realise it’s Bonnie he’s meant to be with? Think he realise’s it’s not Maya.

Mind you, Bonnie seems very forward for 1959.

Nannarose Tue 05-Apr-22 17:29:11

I have read all of the books, and love them. The TV series is significantly different - even from the beginning, but especially now. I knew an 'activist vicar' from that era quite well, and am sure that the events in the books are based on Robert & Rosalind Runcie's life in those times.
They are less good on detection, much better on characters and stories, but well worth searching out.
I find the TV series a bit irritating with storylines rather shoe-horned in, and why on earth are a clergyman, detective and secretary doing a post-mortem? Can't they afford an actor to play a pathologist?
But there is some excellent period atmosphere, and they do touch on issues current at the time, which are not always remembered. I rather think someone has been leafing through old women's magazines!

I don't want to spoil the books by disclosing too much, but Sidney follows a different personal path than in the TV series.

Calendargirl Tue 05-Apr-22 15:32:45

Floradora9

The stories are written by James Runcie the son of Robert Runcie who was archbishop of Canterbury , makes you wonder what he picked up in his childhood .

I’ve not read any of the books, but I do wonder if the last series or so have been ‘inspired’ by the James Runcie stories? In other words, totally made up by the tv scriptwriters?

Perhaps anyone who has read the books can enlighten us?

Floradora9 Tue 05-Apr-22 15:27:09

The stories are written by James Runcie the son of Robert Runcie who was archbishop of Canterbury , makes you wonder what he picked up in his childhood .

gillgran Mon 04-Apr-22 17:53:02

Calendargirl, I agree with your comments. & as you say, this is Grandchesterland, ( & I love it.!!)

Calendargirl Sat 02-Apr-22 08:37:08

I know police procedure must have evolved in the last 60 or so years, but surely even back then, if a body was discovered on the floor of the village hall, Geordie would not have allowed members of the public to be drifting about amongst the cake stalls, with the deceased still lying uncovered on the stage amidst a pool of blood?

Surely the area would have been cleared ready for closer examination?

But then, I suppose the local vicar would not have been so involved either. This is of course, Grandchesterland.

Doodledog Sun 27-Mar-22 11:20:25

Time he married and had a family instead of mooning about after unavailable women.
That really made me laugh - I have spluttered tea over my keyboard ?

Callistemon21 Sun 27-Mar-22 10:57:42

And Barbara in CTM also married the vicar, didn’t she? Trixie’s ex, can’t remember his name.

He's Jack Ashton (Rev Tom Hereward) , married to Trixie (Helen George) in RL. They have two children.

Tina49 Sun 27-Mar-22 08:17:47

I watched the latest episode last night on catch up. I thought it was very good - poor Mrs C.

Allsorts Sun 27-Mar-22 07:53:04

I did cringe a bit with Mrs C being so embarrassingly rude to people. I tend to spend my life doing the opposite. I’ve never met a vicar I liked as much. I also live Leonard, we all need a Leonard in our life, I’m still looking,

Calendargirl Sun 27-Mar-22 07:40:53

And Barbara in CTM also married the vicar, didn’t she? Trixie’s ex, can’t remember his name.

So she will make an excellent partner for Will. Time he married and had a family instead of mooning about after unavailable women.

But of course, in future scripts, no doubt he will get engaged to Bonnie, then on the eve of his wedding, (probably the last episode of the series) the police boss’s fiancée will break off her engagement and come dashing to Will to say he is her one true love……

?

ShazzaKanazza Sat 26-Mar-22 22:36:56

I think my brother plays a homeless man in this last episode. I need to watch it.

Callistemon21 Sat 26-Mar-22 22:31:37

Blinko

Did anyone else recognise Ernest’s mum as Barbara from Call the Midwife, and the female lead, whose name I can’t remember, in Ghosts? Popping up everywhere, she is!

Yes, I couldn't think where I'd seen her before so I googled her.
She wasn't blonde in CTM which confused me.
As she is a known actress she will probably become the new love interest for the vicar.
She'll know the ropes - her father was a bishop in CTM, I think.

Leonard is not at all nerdy in RL - really very attractive with lovely dark curly hair!