Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Grantchester

(89 Posts)
Calendargirl Fri 01-Oct-21 22:02:55

Oh no, poor Leonard!

?

Lincslass Fri 01-Oct-21 22:24:41

Terrible way gay people were treated. Should see the Imitation Game, horrific. Both made me weep.

granfromafar Fri 01-Oct-21 22:28:55

So moving. How will he survive 6 months in prison?

grannylyn65 Fri 01-Oct-21 22:35:27

Oh no I missed it, what happened?

granfromafar Fri 01-Oct-21 22:44:03

Leonard was on trial for 'indecent behaviour' and was found guilty. Shock decision by the judge to give him a 6-month custodial sentence.

nadateturbe Fri 01-Oct-21 22:57:59

Shocking how society treated homosexuals. And how they were made to feel.
Some churches still don't accept them fully into the congregation.
Very sad.

Atqui Fri 01-Oct-21 23:10:32

Oh nooo! And imagine how he will be treated in prison.Hope that nasty little photographer gets his comeuppance for blackmailing him.

PippaZ Fri 01-Oct-21 23:16:44

That wasn't the last episode in this series, was it?

Calendargirl Sat 02-Oct-21 07:30:58

PippaZ

That wasn't the last episode in this series, was it?

No, another one next week.

Won’t be the same without Len though.

When does any ‘vicaring’ actually get done? Without his trusty curate, think Will might have to get his dog collar into proper use, instead of running round helping Geordie capture the baddies,

LadyGracie Sat 02-Oct-21 08:11:09

This is the first series I haven't watched. I was so looking forward to it. The first episode in the holiday camp I watched for about 10 minutes it was like watching Janet and John!

Gwyneth Sat 02-Oct-21 08:46:08

I hope this doesn’t mean Leonard is leaving the series, apart from his 6 months in prison. I really like him. Just wondering if he will survive prison.

Boz Sat 02-Oct-21 08:55:28

LadyGracie

This is the first series I haven't watched. I was so looking forward to it. The first episode in the holiday camp I watched for about 10 minutes it was like watching Janet and John!

Totally agree. This episode made us cancel the Series recordings.

PippaZ Sat 02-Oct-21 08:58:29

They may visit Leonard but that could just be reports of the visit.

Visgir1 Sat 02-Oct-21 08:58:38

Lovely Leonard, such a shame he's too gentle to go to Jail.
Series ends next week there will be a miracle!

Aldom Sat 02-Oct-21 09:07:15

Visgir1

Lovely Leonard, such a shame he's too gentle to go to Jail.
Series ends next week there will be a miracle!

Or, realistically, there could be a tragedy. This is social history not fantasy.

gillgran Sat 02-Oct-21 12:11:46

I watched Grantchester last night, (as usual), & I also thought, "poor Leonard"! How will he survive prison?

1958, to someone as old as me, that feels quite recent. sad

Atqui Sat 02-Oct-21 17:58:34

…and what will he do afterwards? He will presumably be an outcast of the church. (I haven’t watched it yet)

Blinko Sat 02-Oct-21 17:59:58

Free the Grantchester One!

grannyrebel7 Sat 02-Oct-21 18:28:41

They could appeal, but he pleaded guilty. Don't know if that would work. Alway wonder how the vicar is allowed to be so involved in police work and he's better that Geordie at solving the crimes!

Rosina Sat 02-Oct-21 22:45:41

Yes - poor Leonard. The actor that plays him is absolutely first class; the hesitant walk, the blinking, nervous expression and the constant fumbling together of his hands demonstrate a person full of stress and anxiety, so afraid of revealing the truth of his life. I suspect he will die - a sad story line and probably a common happening for men like Leonard in the 1950s.

Gwyneth Sun 03-Oct-21 08:21:55

He could appeal against his sentence granny but I’m guessing there would have to be extenuating circumstances.

Calendargirl Sat 09-Oct-21 11:16:01

Not much of Leonard tonight, looks to be more with him next week.

Will is really not much of a vicar. In bed with stepsister, mardy with his new curate, not at all welcoming, stroppy with his bishop, knocking back the whisky with Geordie before solving yet another case virtually single handed,

Think he should leave the ministry and join the police force properly.

Aldom Sat 09-Oct-21 11:22:23

Thank goodness Will is stroppy with the bigoted Bishop who referred to the Vicarage as Sodem and Gomorrah. A sign of the awful times homosexuals lived in.

Gwyneth Sat 09-Oct-21 11:26:07

Don’t blame Will really. Bishop did not consult him re the new curate and he has to share a house and work with him. Also not sure about the curate thought he was a bit sneaky telling the Bishop about Will. Good to see Will visit Leonard in prison.

TwoWolves Sat 09-Oct-21 11:27:14

"Poor Leonard" did look awful in the prison scene. I hope he doesn't end his own life. This brings back what happened to Alan Turing. I think the world has gone 'woke-mad', but it has to be preferable to the unapologetic homophobia of those times.