Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

‘Maid’ - Netflix series

(36 Posts)
GrandmasueUK Fri 08-Oct-21 22:31:53

Is anyone else watching this series? The main character is played by Margaret Qualley and her real-life mother, Andie MacDowell, plays her awful mother. I’ve found it really interesting and it’s quite hard to watch, as it tells the story of a young woman, with a child who escapes from an abusive relationship. She takes a job with a cleaning company for basic wages so she can put a roof over her head and food on the table. It was based on a true story, which makes it all the more compelling. I’ve got 3 episodes left and I don’t want to get to the end!

loopyloo Mon 15-Nov-21 17:54:22

Watching this now and agree it's harrowing!
And they drive such good cars. I winced at the car crash! And of course there is no public transport so it's taxis.

Farmor15 Wed 27-Oct-21 17:37:14

Just watched episode 8- I find it’s getting more depressing with predictable disasters☹️. Will keep going at this stage. Acting is great and it’s interesting to see an American drama set in a part of US that we normally see little of.

Baggs Wed 27-Oct-21 17:00:43

JJ!!

Baggs Wed 27-Oct-21 17:00:26

Thanks, JK smile

Jane43 Mon 25-Oct-21 20:24:25

I watched this over the last few days and thought it was very good.

Bridie22 Sun 24-Oct-21 22:06:33

Brilliant series.

JaneJudge Sun 24-Oct-21 20:34:48

just carry on watching baggs smile it is a bit tense but it is part of the story

Baggs Sun 24-Oct-21 20:14:22

I got to the part where Maid is swanning about in her employer's house at Thanksgiving and behaving so stupidly that I couldn't bear to watch any more. Does that swanning about end predictably or not? If not, then I might carry on watching.

Farmor15 Fri 22-Oct-21 09:42:24

Just checked "Maddy" was born in 2016 and would have been 4 when filming started in Sept 2020. The amount of carrying was possibly to disguise her size, as she would also have grown during filming which didn't finish till May 2021.

Farmor15 Fri 22-Oct-21 09:33:26

I'm still watching it but agree withBaggs comment about the child being carried so much. I suspect the reason may have been that the child playing Maddy was older, but they wanted to make her seem like the under 3 she was meant to be in most of series.
Going to check age of actor now!

JaneJudge Fri 22-Oct-21 08:01:53

I finished this on Sunday, I really enjoyed it - even though it was desperate sad fantastic acting in it throughout

AuntieEleanorsCat Thu 14-Oct-21 18:29:51

This was excellent. A tough one for me and my sister as there were many parallels with our own upbringing and struggles.

I thought all acting was so good and little Maddy, a delight.

Would recommend highly.

Baggs Thu 14-Oct-21 14:49:51

Rant alert!

One thing that annoys me about this film is that the child gets carried everywhere. I suppose it might be just that filming would be slowed down if she was walking but they could have got around that. Kids should walk as much as they can, and climb into their car seats by themselves as soon as they can, and out again once the safety harness is undone, and walk upstairs, etc, etc. No wonder so many Americans are obese.

Bea65 Wed 13-Oct-21 11:49:32

Great binge watch series with such authentic characters..yes upsetting in parts but that's life and little girl so talented..loved Andie's character such a mess but very enjoyable watch!

Shinamae Mon 11-Oct-21 20:05:33

Just about to start on this recommendation…

JaneJudge Mon 11-Oct-21 19:31:00

I am loving it too. He is such a bastard isn't he? angry but all the relationships are so complex.

Coolgran65 Sun 10-Oct-21 19:18:12

I watched the last episode last night. An excellent series. Highly recommended.

VioletSky Sun 10-Oct-21 19:05:20

I just finished it and it is a beautiful series. I think it is very positive to highlight emotional abuse and the very real damage it does as well as how easily some people dismiss it. Also how rare it is for an abusive person to actually wake up to their own behaviour and how abuse tends to follow a cycle in families. Oh and also how it emotional abuse doesn't follow class or culture and happens everywhere.

Anyway. It was beautifully done and very emotional.

Keeper1 Sun 10-Oct-21 16:27:45

I have watched all the episodes and thought it was brilliant, very thought provoking

JaneJudge Sun 10-Oct-21 16:22:13

Oh I will watch this. Woman are tough, you are right

CoolCoco Sun 10-Oct-21 16:10:46

Oops sorry - seen the OP mentioned this earlier

CoolCoco Sun 10-Oct-21 16:09:45

I think they are mother and daughter in real life.

GrandmasueUK Sun 10-Oct-21 12:07:13

highlanddreams

It was very good and hard to watch too, I've been through similar circumstances in my life when I was young but I had 2 children and none of the resources or support she was able to get help from were available to me where I lived.
I hope anyone who is going through this can find the strength to get away and start again,you can do it.

I, too, went through something very similar, with a 3-year-old and whilst 6 months pregnant. I survived on benefits, got a degree, and became a teacher. (It did take quite a few years.) Unlike poor Alex in the series though, I had a very supportive mum and friends. It certainly wasn't easy and it does take strength to walk away, but it proved to be so worth it in the long run.

seacliff Sat 09-Oct-21 12:18:50

It was educational for me, how very tough it is, as I've been very lucky and was never that poor , or in a DV situation. Such a huge gap between the haves and have nots. I saw some terribly poor trailer parks when driving from Grand Canyon to Vegas. We were shocked.

That little girl was one of the best most natural and delightful young actors I've seen.

Visgir1 Sat 09-Oct-21 11:51:42

I gave up after second episode, so depressing.
It's hard going I couldn't face anymore well atm.
Agree if your poor in America, you really are poor.