Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

‘Maid’ - Netflix series

(35 Posts)
GrandmasueUK Fri 08-Oct-21 22:31:53

Is anyone else watching this series? The main character is played by Margaret Qualley and her real-life mother, Andie MacDowell, plays her awful mother. I’ve found it really interesting and it’s quite hard to watch, as it tells the story of a young woman, with a child who escapes from an abusive relationship. She takes a job with a cleaning company for basic wages so she can put a roof over her head and food on the table. It was based on a true story, which makes it all the more compelling. I’ve got 3 episodes left and I don’t want to get to the end!

Farmor15 Fri 08-Oct-21 22:54:37

I've watched the first episode and found it so depressing I'm not sure I want to watch more! However, if Grandmasue is finding it good, perhaps I'll persist.

seacliff Fri 08-Oct-21 23:09:55

I've watched it all. It was hard to watch at times, makes you realise how tough and unfair life is for many people, through no fault of their own.

I thought the daughter gave a great performance, and also the little girl was fantastic. So good.

Esspee Fri 08-Oct-21 23:13:55

Yes, I’m in the middle of it. Isn’t the little girl just wonderful.
There is some really excellent acting but I have to watch something lighthearted afterwards to lift my mood.

GrandmasueUK Sat 09-Oct-21 03:36:30

I hope you continue with it Farmor. It is very good. The little girl was brilliant. I wonder if the actors reacted to what she was saying because the other actors' dialogue sounded so natural with her.

Baggs Sat 09-Oct-21 06:19:45

I agree with your “quite hard to watch” assessment, grandmasue. I can only watch short sections at once before it stresses me out but I think I’ll stick with it at my own pace. Don’t seem to be able to deal with intense stuff except in small doses.

Liz46 Sat 09-Oct-21 08:08:05

We've watched it all and it definitely improved after the beginning. As you have said, the little girl was gorgeous. What a lovely smile!

Mary59nana Sat 09-Oct-21 11:32:26

Watched it on Monday as a binged watch and although hard at times I would watch it all over again.
It shows how strong women can be in tmes of hardship and as a lone parent would do anything for your child.
10 out of 10 I give it

henetha Sat 09-Oct-21 11:41:10

I've just finished it and enjoyed it hugely. Don't be poor in America, is what I learned. And the strength of some women is amazing.
And I fell in love with that little girl.

highlanddreams Sat 09-Oct-21 11:51:37

It was very good and hard to watch too, I've been through similar circumstances in my life when I was young but I had 2 children and none of the resources or support she was able to get help from were available to me where I lived.
I hope anyone who is going through this can find the strength to get away and start again,you can do it.

Visgir1 Sat 09-Oct-21 11:51:42

I gave up after second episode, so depressing.
It's hard going I couldn't face anymore well atm.
Agree if your poor in America, you really are poor.

seacliff Sat 09-Oct-21 12:18:50

It was educational for me, how very tough it is, as I've been very lucky and was never that poor , or in a DV situation. Such a huge gap between the haves and have nots. I saw some terribly poor trailer parks when driving from Grand Canyon to Vegas. We were shocked.

That little girl was one of the best most natural and delightful young actors I've seen.

GrandmasueUK Sun 10-Oct-21 12:07:13

highlanddreams

It was very good and hard to watch too, I've been through similar circumstances in my life when I was young but I had 2 children and none of the resources or support she was able to get help from were available to me where I lived.
I hope anyone who is going through this can find the strength to get away and start again,you can do it.

I, too, went through something very similar, with a 3-year-old and whilst 6 months pregnant. I survived on benefits, got a degree, and became a teacher. (It did take quite a few years.) Unlike poor Alex in the series though, I had a very supportive mum and friends. It certainly wasn't easy and it does take strength to walk away, but it proved to be so worth it in the long run.

CoolCoco Sun 10-Oct-21 16:09:45

I think they are mother and daughter in real life.

CoolCoco Sun 10-Oct-21 16:10:46

Oops sorry - seen the OP mentioned this earlier

JaneJudge Sun 10-Oct-21 16:22:13

Oh I will watch this. Woman are tough, you are right

Keeper1 Sun 10-Oct-21 16:27:45

I have watched all the episodes and thought it was brilliant, very thought provoking

VioletSky Sun 10-Oct-21 19:05:20

I just finished it and it is a beautiful series. I think it is very positive to highlight emotional abuse and the very real damage it does as well as how easily some people dismiss it. Also how rare it is for an abusive person to actually wake up to their own behaviour and how abuse tends to follow a cycle in families. Oh and also how it emotional abuse doesn't follow class or culture and happens everywhere.

Anyway. It was beautifully done and very emotional.

Coolgran65 Sun 10-Oct-21 19:18:12

I watched the last episode last night. An excellent series. Highly recommended.

JaneJudge Mon 11-Oct-21 19:31:00

I am loving it too. He is such a bastard isn't he? angry but all the relationships are so complex.

Shinamae Mon 11-Oct-21 20:05:33

Just about to start on this recommendation…

Bea65 Wed 13-Oct-21 11:49:32

Great binge watch series with such authentic characters..yes upsetting in parts but that's life and little girl so talented..loved Andie's character such a mess but very enjoyable watch!

Baggs Thu 14-Oct-21 14:49:51

Rant alert!

One thing that annoys me about this film is that the child gets carried everywhere. I suppose it might be just that filming would be slowed down if she was walking but they could have got around that. Kids should walk as much as they can, and climb into their car seats by themselves as soon as they can, and out again once the safety harness is undone, and walk upstairs, etc, etc. No wonder so many Americans are obese.

AuntieEleanorsCat Thu 14-Oct-21 18:29:51

This was excellent. A tough one for me and my sister as there were many parallels with our own upbringing and struggles.

I thought all acting was so good and little Maddy, a delight.

Would recommend highly.

JaneJudge Fri 22-Oct-21 08:01:53

I finished this on Sunday, I really enjoyed it - even though it was desperate sad fantastic acting in it throughout