Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

bbc1 who do you think you are

(31 Posts)
lemsip Tue 19-Oct-21 21:11:00

Judi Dench ancestry tonight 9pm

Lucca Thu 21-Oct-21 05:30:48

Just watched this at 4,30 a,m,,….. absolutely brilliant, how lovely was her distant cousin the actor and what a super apartment he had. Loved the Hamlet connections.

I thought Judi’s grandson was Ed Sheeran at first !!

mokryna Thu 21-Oct-21 06:39:58

Beechnut

We thought that too about their English skills while we were in Denmark Germanshepherdsmum. Our waiter told us they start off at a very young age.

In other countries, English tv children’s programs are not translated, watching them children learn naturally. Today there are American children speaking with an English accent because of Pepper Pig.
Don’t forget English is spoken everywhere because the USA elected, by one vote more than German, to have it as their official language.

Maggiemaybe Thu 21-Oct-21 07:09:06

And that is our good fortune. Why be embarrassed by it? Although I studied languages and have lived and worked in Europe using them, I don’t agree that every child here should have to spend significant time learning a foreign language if it’s not for them. Of course it’s courteous, and fun, to learn a few words of any language if you’re about to visit a non English-speaking country. But there are so many other subjects now that suit many children better - what’s wrong with letting them use our advantage and concentrate on them instead?

Kate1949 Thu 21-Oct-21 09:59:33

Lucca I have read that Judi's grandson is good friends with Ed Sheeran. Two peas in a pod.

Josianne Thu 21-Oct-21 10:05:50

As we are moving on in the discussion, my GD acted alongside Judi Dench in a couple of films. She said every time Judi walked in, the room lit up, and every time they were struggling with the parts, Judi made it happen effortlessly.