Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Have you ever been on a TV show?

(102 Posts)
Scones Wed 27-Oct-21 22:07:37

Watching Escape to the Country today and wondering what makes people go on this type of show. I'm glad they do as I love watching but I wouldn't do it myself.

Have you ever been on a TV show? What made you go on it and what was the experience like?

Kali2 Thu 28-Oct-21 14:23:44

Question Time in Nottingham many moons ago.

ElderlyPerson Thu 28-Oct-21 15:21:34

Kim19

Yes. Whimsically entered a magazine competition and this turned out to be the route to the prospective prizes. Sale of the century was the game. I was runner up and very happy with the result. What was particularly enjoyable was the first class rail travel and the up market hotel. We were on 16.67% mortgage at the time and really feeling the pinch. Great memory.

I often watched Sale of the Century.

Could you possibly say more about how it all worked behind the scenes please?

So you are on the train. To Norwich?

So were you met and chauffeured? I don't remember the format quite.

Was it recorded or did it go out live?

Was the hotel one night or two?

Curlywhirly Thu 28-Oct-21 22:11:09

Zoejory

I was a dancer on the Hitman and Her! Happy days smile or nights I should say

Was that at Mr Smiths nightclub?

Galaxy Thu 28-Oct-21 22:19:57

I was on Razzamatazz. grin

Zoejory Thu 28-Oct-21 22:25:47

Curlywhirly

Zoejory

I was a dancer on the Hitman and Her! Happy days smile or nights I should say

Was that at Mr Smiths nightclub?

Mr Smiths, Warrington! What a place. And one in Southport. Can't for the life of me remember its name.

Josianne Thu 28-Oct-21 22:26:22

Top of the Pops in the 80s.
A programme about Nigel Lawson's 1988 tour de force budget and the property market crash. I can't remember what it was about but they wanted to film a typical family moving house.

Scones Thu 28-Oct-21 22:26:53

These are fantastic! Dottygran59 I laughed until I cried at your post. You've ruined chicken korma for me though.

Zoejory Thu 28-Oct-21 22:27:19

Palm Court. In the fabulous Victorian swimming baths they had there.

Curlywhirly Thu 28-Oct-21 22:30:26

Zoeyjory I went to Mr Smiths a couple of times, so I must have seen you! From memory the dancers were on a podium inside a cage.

Hellogirl1 Thu 28-Oct-21 22:33:14

I was on Fifteen -to -One in 1997. I wasn`t first off, but didn`t last for much longer! William G Stewart was really nice. It took 2 and a half hours to record the 45 minute programme. No fancy hotel, but I did get £66 towards my expenses.

Lucca Thu 28-Oct-21 22:35:34

DanniRae

Were you up for a BAFTA that year Lucca? gringrin

Definitely !

Calistemon Thu 28-Oct-21 23:18:41

Aveline

Can't get rid of pic of DD's breakfast. Sorry.

That mug wasn't the antique then!

I was on Gardener's Question Time but that was on the radio.
Perhaps just as well.

farview Fri 29-Oct-21 07:28:17

On wed I was an SA (extra) for the day in drama series that our godson and his twin are making...Will be on Netflix first then BBC 1 prime time in spring..had a wonderful, amazing day...had no idea how much effort and hard work went into it..

Rowsie Fri 29-Oct-21 10:52:28

I always wanted to be on a TV show and my sister and were in the audience of the Jeremy Vine Show. The presenter Storm invited me to sit beside her in the front as we were discussing a topic I had commented on. If they had enough time they were going to speak to me live. As soon as the camera rolled I froze and luckily they did not have time for me to say anything. When I looked back at it at home I looked like a scared frightened rabbit caught in the headlights, thank god I didn't have to talk! I have crossed that ambition off my list!

lilydily9 Fri 29-Oct-21 11:06:12

Ballroom dancing was on the curriculum at my secondary school in the late '50s. A team from the BBC visited with director, Ken Russell, and we featured in the documentary 'Monitor - Dance Story'. Our dance teacher chose me to dance the Tango with him in the opening shots. My partner and I also appeared on 'Come Dancing' and as members of the school's formation team. Happy days!

Labadi0747 Fri 29-Oct-21 11:09:02

Yes we did Escape To The Country. Omg. It was so much fun. About 3 days filming & a night & dinner in a country hotel. I felt bereft when it was over !
However being recognised everywhere after it came out was astonishing!

Scones Fri 29-Oct-21 11:10:58

Labadi0747 I LOVE Escape!! Can I ask who the presenter was? I thing they're all great but Jules is my all time favourite. Do please tell more.

Dorado Fri 29-Oct-21 11:18:48

I got in the hot seat on Who Wants to be a Millionaire the same week as I had a hot date with the man of my dreams whom I hadn't seen for 33 years. The date was in Jersey, and I'd been trying to arrange a meeting for 4 years. He had a high powered international job that meant he was rarely in the same place for longer than 24 hours. What did I do? Threw my game, won a thousand pounds and went on the date. It was a good decision - we've been married for 15 years now!

DanniRae Fri 29-Oct-21 11:22:11

I love Escape to the Country too. My favourite is Nicki Chapman! smile

Granny23 Fri 29-Oct-21 11:30:51

DH and I were 'crowd artists on several episodes of Taggart and a few other feature films and TV Drama series, courtesy of my DD2 who was the Production Co-ordinator. Lots of just hanging about, blethering, great food from the caterers and a nice cheque at the end of it.

My main claim to fame however, was on Sheena McDonald's 100 women. I had only accompanied my friend as chauffeur for the very first episode but a couple of women had not turned up so one of the T-ladies and me were asked to sit in to make up the numbers, vote on the issues, but not speak or put our hands up. Cameraman did a panoramic shot of the 100 women, which finished with me, (hopefully looking knowledgeable and concerned). This clip was used as a trailer to advertise the programme and a backdrop to the titles for each episode, even the second series.

Suddenly I was famous! Neighbours and Far Flung friends and relatives, got in touch to congratulate me, convinced I was in every episode. All assured me I was very good (though I never spoke at all) - they were thrilled to claim a connection to a TV star.

bluettesarah Fri 29-Oct-21 11:31:38

We were on the Antiques Road Show having inherited a round wooden table with bowl in the middle. I used to play at the table with my grandmother who kept African violets in the bowl. I was keen to find out what the real purpose of table was and having searched on line for months I contacted the ARS on a whim sending a photo. A few weeks later a producer called and said they knew what it was. I asked what? And he said that’s the point of the show, do you want to come on and find out about it? Obviously yes, so we attended and were treated really well, including meeting various experts before filming who wanted the see the table as they’d never seen one like it before.
We were in the “green room” part of the stately home for refreshments and make up (hubby refused that!) and lots of attention. We had a chat with the expert prior to filming when he asked lots of questions. Then we were miked up, taken to the filming location and the expert and I were suddenly talking with my table between us.
It turned out that the table was in fact an Italian replica of a Roman radiator. No one in our family or friends had ever guessed that so I was delighted to discover what it was. It never once crossed my mind what it was worth. Turned out it’s value was a few hundred. Phew! I can keep it and my memories and not be worried about value.
It was a great day and we were allowed to take another artefact of our choice and we’re whisked to the front of the queue for an appraisal of that.
The day it was broadcast (courtesy email from the producers to let us know we were in the programme) was unnerving as it dawned on me that we would be on national tv! I hardly breathed as we watched it waiting for me to look idiotic. It was ok though and my phone pinged with messages from friends all evening.
It was a fabulous day, really interesting, and my tip if turning up on the day is to get there really early as the queues are terribly long from mid morning onwards.

inishowen Fri 29-Oct-21 11:38:25

My house was in a TV programme! I entered a competition to win £5,000 of home improvements and won. It turned out they were doing a series called Green Pages and needed a house to demonstrate all the green improvements. We got new windows, a heat recovery system and many other things. I was asked if I wanted to appear on the programme but I didn't fancy it. I was interviewed on the radio though. Peter Bottomly MP came and had his photo taken with our cat!

JdotJ Fri 29-Oct-21 11:39:55

Not personally but a few years ago we had a lady speak to my WI about prop making for TV and Theatre and she chatted about things she had done outside of work, one of which was appearing on Escape to the Country with her husband.
They viewed 3 properties, none of which they were terribly keen on but at the end of the show as the credits rolled the voiceover said that they'd had a second viewing on one of the houses and had bought it - none of which was true!

HHBBNN54 Fri 29-Oct-21 11:51:37

I had 2 minutes of fame on the news earlier on this year about anonymous phone calls. They spent about an hour filming it and talking to me and when it was shown I missed it live and watched it on someone elses catch up.

Annaram1 Fri 29-Oct-21 11:57:05

I was in 15 to 1 years ago. Also my house was on Escape to the Country but I was not shown. I have also been on a radio show called Steve Wright on the Afternoon.