TV, radio, film, Arts

Vera.

(37 Posts)
Calendargirl Sun 09-Jan-22 22:50:43

Not very interesting tonight.

Couldn’t really care about the outcome.

Guessed who the baddie was early on.

merlotgran Sun 09-Jan-22 23:31:03

How come she's still working? Isn't she too old?

Calendargirl Mon 10-Jan-22 07:10:59

merlotgran

How come she's still working? Isn't she too old?

How old is she meant to be? Have read the books, assume she looks and dresses older than she really is.

Early 50’s?

merlotgran Mon 10-Jan-22 07:42:49

I haven’t read the books so don’t know how old Vera is meant to be but Brenda Blethyn is 75 and looks, sounds and moves like she should have retired years ago.

Allsorts Mon 10-Jan-22 07:50:40

I do think it’s stretching it a bit now at the age Brenda is, she would have been retired many years now, it makes it a bit in plausible now. Fan of Ann Cleeve’s books, think I will stick to them now.

Calendargirl Mon 10-Jan-22 08:03:34

Oh Merlotgran thought you meant Vera, did you mean Brenda Blethyn?

Sara1954 Mon 10-Jan-22 08:05:46

I love the books, and the television adaptations, but I admit i kept dropping off to sleep last night, and lost track of it, not sure whether or not I’ll bother to re watch it.

Calendargirl Mon 10-Jan-22 08:06:48

Also, as with so many detective books turned into tv series, don’t think the stories are now from the books. Made up ones with new writers.

Happened with Morse, Shetland, Banks et al.

Calendargirl Mon 10-Jan-22 08:08:02

Sara1954

I love the books, and the television adaptations, but I admit i kept dropping off to sleep last night, and lost track of it, not sure whether or not I’ll bother to re watch it.

Wouldn’t bother.

JaneJudge Mon 10-Jan-22 08:08:45

I presumed now they have introduced some new detective team who I have forgotten what they are called,that she will be slowly out phased. I think she looks great for 75 so I don't think her age is an issue...

merlotgran Mon 10-Jan-22 08:10:01

Calendargirl

Oh Merlotgran thought you meant Vera, did you mean Brenda Blethyn?

I mean Vera but because she’s played by a 75yr old actor she appears to be too old for the job.

Georgesgran Mon 10-Jan-22 08:33:24

Was looking forward to the new series, but distinctly underwhelmed by last night’s episode. Getting harder to believe Vera isn’t retired or thinking about it? Now only based on the books ‘Vera’ has heart problems, so wonder if she might be hospitalized or retired and her sergeant Aidan take over?

Sara1954 Mon 10-Jan-22 08:37:44

I love Aidan, but I’m not sure how he’d get on without Vera to boss him about

Luckygirl3 Mon 10-Jan-22 09:38:30

Well I thought it was great!

mokryna Mon 10-Jan-22 09:58:55

I thought it was great also. I really don’t understand why people are talking about retirement!

Sarnia Mon 10-Jan-22 10:06:21

Exactly mokryna, reading some of these previous posts anyone over 75 should be sitting quietly dribbling in a twilight home for the elderly. Anne Cleeves thought Brenda Blethyn spot on as Vera and I would agree with her.

Kali2 Mon 10-Jan-22 10:10:58

We love Vera here- so happy she has a new series and enjoyed last night.

Sparklefizz Mon 10-Jan-22 11:02:27

I love the character of Vera and no one else could play her except Brenda Blethwyn.

Sure, we have to suspend belief, but who cares?

Tuppance Mon 10-Jan-22 13:41:48

Oh my goodness, talking about retirement, you do know Vera not real! Just watch it and enjoy, or turn it off. I love Vera, I also love the scenery, it is a good story line and better than a lot of other detective series. She is the brains and has Aiden to do the running. I love her, can't wait till next Sunday.

Namsnanny Mon 10-Jan-22 13:49:18

I love BB too, but I did lose interest half way through, and gave in to the washing up!
I can catch up another time.

varian Mon 10-Jan-22 15:31:06

Brenda Blethyn is 75 (almost 76), and I cannot imagine there are many police detectives who have not retired by that age.

On the other hand I think she could pass for an average 65 year old woman or a badly preserved woman in her late fifties. (Not early fifties - I have daughters that age and thank goodness they don't look like that!)

We just have to suspend disbelief, which is OK for now but I do wonder how much longer she can carry on. Apparently she enjoys the role and has no intention of retiring any time soon.

Jaffacake2 Mon 10-Jan-22 16:15:10

Jon Morrison who plays Kenny is 72, so maybe we have an aging police force !!

varian Mon 10-Jan-22 16:16:54

It is quite clever casting to have an older actor playing Kenny, who might be assumed to be not much more than 60.

Vera doesn't look that old beside Kenny.

Forsythia Mon 10-Jan-22 16:19:00

We looked forward to watching it last night and we felt it didn’t disappoint. We like this series. Yes, they made it more diverse than before but the storyline was good. Hope she carries on, few programmes are as enjoyable now that others have breathed their last. It’s much better than Midsomer Murders.

Oldbat1 Mon 10-Jan-22 18:39:05

I like watching Vera. They cover vast mileage per episode. One scene on Holy Island next minute 40miles away but the Northumberland scenery is lovely. They did some filming in my street last year during COVID.