Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Watercolour Challenge.

(55 Posts)
shysal Tue 11-Jan-22 09:05:59

Did anybody else enjoy watching this years ago? My new TV magazine tells me that it is starting again next week on Channel 5 at 4pm, weekdays. The host is Fern Britton, I think I am right in saying that it used to be Hannah Gordon.

snowberryZ Sat 02-Apr-22 18:07:35

I preferred the original.
I don't know why they had to mess with it.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 02-Apr-22 10:36:33

I used to really enjoy the original programme and there was an outcry when it finished. I wrote to Channel 4 then but was told they liked to try new types of programme which made me laugh as I thought of the endless supply of cooking/decorating/ reality shows which appeared ad nauseam. Have looked a couple of times at the new programme but haven’t found it anywhere as good as the original.

snowberryZ Sat 02-Apr-22 08:22:29

I didn't enjoy this series.
I got the feeling the judges were trying too hard to ensure that everybody had a go at winning at least one challenge.
So there were times where I thought That's rubbish but I bet she'll win today because she hasn't won one yet.
All a bit infantile.

ginny Tue 08-Feb-22 16:33:11

I enjoy seeing how the artists deal with the subjects chosen. Some of the venues have been disappointing this time. So many lovely places in Cornwall ( this weeks area) and today they have a rather ugly pool to paint.

Callistemon21 Tue 25-Jan-22 23:15:19

I enjoyed it, I also find FB a bit annoying , not sure why. The programme that really winds me up is The Joy of Painting, now there's an irritating man.
They're repeats, I used to watch them years ago, LullyDully.
Bob Ross died in 1995 (can't believe it's that long ago).

There used to be some lovely programmes on TV about painting, watercolour artists showing us how easy it was (or not!).

Eloethan Tue 25-Jan-22 23:07:06

I watched it for the first time today and thought the standard of painting was quite poor. I was especially surprised by the young woman who made three attempts at her painting and whose final creation was very underwhelming - and I believe she said she had done/was doing a fine arts degree. I thought it was a dreary programme and even the expert who adjudicated looked less than impressed.

I think the Sky portrait and landscape artist programme is far better.

shysal Tue 25-Jan-22 07:32:16

I think there will be just a daily winner. I am glad there is not much emphasis on winning, it is just good to see how different four versions of the same view can be.
I don't mind Fern, she is just doing as directed.

Sparklefizz Mon 24-Jan-22 17:17:39

Is there just a daily winner? - or weekly winner? - or a winner overall throughout the series?

No idea, but I have just googled Ady Wright (today's professional artist) and he has some stunning artwork on his website so I feel keener to watch the programme again.

silverlining48 Mon 24-Jan-22 17:11:21

I watched last week and today and have found it interesting and informative,
Was hoping to pick up a few hints as despite not having an artistic bone in my body, I would love to be able to give it a try.

Luckygirl3 Mon 24-Jan-22 17:08:20

I agree - the professional artist was more interesting and constructive. I am still not sure where the programme is going. Is there just a daily winner? - or weekly winner? - or a winner overall throughout the series?

Sparklefizz Mon 24-Jan-22 16:59:02

I think the programme has been better today. Fern was still as annoying but the professional artist was more helpful, more interesting and I liked his work much more.

What do you think?

Luckygirl3 Mon 24-Jan-22 15:09:37

I too have been a bit disappointed with the programme - the artists, the presenter, the "expert", the venues --- not much left really! grin

LadyGracie Mon 24-Jan-22 13:30:52

It annoys me intensely, I don’t think the professional artist has much if any talent, Fern waffles on and on. DH likes to watch it in case he can pick up any tips, I hide behind my book and try not to listen.

eazybee Mon 24-Jan-22 10:25:33

I want to see more of how the artists achieve their effects, not listen to Fern Britton's fatuous comments. Why do they choose presenters who have no artistic background?

25Avalon Mon 24-Jan-22 10:08:20

I don’t understand exactly how it works. They are going to 4 areas with 4 different amateur artists and professional each week. Why don’t they have the amateurs from the area in which the contest is taking place? How will they get an overall winner is the no 1 question?

Sparklefizz Sun 23-Jan-22 20:11:01

I'm not keen on the judge's own work so don't have much faith in her decisions, plus her advice is rubbish in my opinion. Overall disappointing.

Gin Sun 23-Jan-22 19:30:01

I find the format strange, the same four artists all week, it was boring I thought and they were not the most talented. I much prefer Skye Arts new landscape competition, it is far more interesting. Our local Art Society has better water colourist.

mrsHom Wed 19-Jan-22 11:50:04

Just saw the first programme and was very disappointed. There was too much talk and not enough of the paintings. I did not not watch to know about the history of the docks - obviously an hour was too long for this kind of programme and they had to fill it with extraneous material. I thought the 'landscape' was not a suitable choice for watercolour and was too much of a challenge - no chance to demonstrate the fluidity and lightness of a watercolour. I personally found the examples of the judge's work uninspiring to say the least.

LullyDully Wed 19-Jan-22 08:02:44

I enjoyed it, I also find FB a bit annoying , not sure why. The programme that really winds me up is The Joy of Painting, now there's an irritating man.

Looking forward to Landscape artist today. I just wish my painting was better. I started a couple of years ago and have a lot of catching up to do.

shysal Wed 19-Jan-22 07:54:17

I thought Fern was OK, at least we didn't get a comedian as on so many other similar programmes.

MayBee70 Tue 18-Jan-22 20:43:38

She’s the sort of person that, if we met and I said something she’d look at me and say ‘oh, bless’.

aggie Tue 18-Jan-22 19:19:41

Yes she is too loud and no notion about art , such a pity , I record it and zip past bits with Fern in

Sparklefizz Tue 18-Jan-22 19:05:29

I don't like her either MayBee70. I don't think you're being picky.

MayBee70 Tue 18-Jan-22 17:57:46

Thanks shysal. I enjoyed the programme but I find that Fern Britain grates on me. I don’t feel that she’s actually interested in art. Or is it just me being picky?

25Avalon Tue 18-Jan-22 17:06:44

Well, what do we all think? The format is similar to previous. I thought Ken’s was the best yesterday but not sure about todays. Are the same 4 on for all the programmes?