Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

TV Licence fee

(37 Posts)
tanith Mon 17-Jan-22 18:20:30

I’d be interested in peoples views on the news the Licence will be frozen for 2 yrs and possibly scrapped altogether.
I know the BBC is already struggling so what’s the answer?
I think I’d be happy to carry on paying but a I know a lot of people don’t watch terrestrial television much so feel it’s not fair and wouldn’t bother them.
I did look for a thread about this but didn’t find anything.

So thoughts anyone?

Kim19 Mon 17-Jan-22 18:25:11

Just the first bribe (people pleaser). Let's watch them roll out.

Calendargirl Mon 17-Jan-22 18:28:54

I don’t pay for any streaming channels, just have the usual free view ones.

I prefer BBC with no adverts like all the others.

We always moan there’s nothing good on, but occasionally the Beeb comes up trumps with some real belters.

As long as there’s a licence fee, I shall keep paying it.

Grandmabatty Mon 17-Jan-22 18:29:34

It's a distraction from Partygate. Dorries or Johnson hopes it will appease people who vote Tory and take their minds off the mess that is going on. BBC don't do everything right, but they do much that is.

biglouis Mon 17-Jan-22 18:35:19

Many pensioners became angry when they scrapped the free lisence for people over 70. We get the most shit pensions in Europe so renaging on this promise pizzed a lot of people off. They had the cheek to write to me asking me to begin paying again. I just sent it back marked "not known".

Whitewavemark2 Mon 17-Jan-22 18:38:20

It ain’t going to happen.

They have succeeded in what they set out to do which was to take Johnson off the top of the headlines.

Anyone fooled?

mokryna Mon 17-Jan-22 18:38:59

I wouldn’t mind paying if I could receive live tv legally. Living abroad it is good to hear news that can be reasonably trusted.

I recall the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, Mitterand told the French people at the beginning of May there was nothing to worry about. The nuclear cloud was stopping at the German boarder, to stop the French people getting worried. It was only through the BBC I heard differently but sadly my ex and others didn’t believe me. The local school let the class of our 3 year old daughter have an extended playtime as the weather was so good.

The world service also does a very good job of informing many countries all over the world.

Lincslass Mon 17-Jan-22 18:49:56

Whitewavemark2

They have succeeded in what they set out to do which was to take Johnson off the top of the headlines.

Anyone fooled?

Not a new concept though, discussed a few years ago.
www.warc.com/newsandopinion/news/conservative-party-mulls-scrapping-tv-licence-fee-in-favour-of-bbc-ads/en-gb/6752 The Greens also have a notion to scrap the fee.

BlueBelle Mon 17-Jan-22 19:08:12

He’s not bribing me if he gives me a thousand pound I still wouldn’t rate him or get behind him
He’s a coward

Whitewavemark2 Mon 17-Jan-22 19:11:26

Lincslass

Whitewavemark2

Anyone fooled?

Not a new concept though, discussed a few years ago.
www.warc.com/newsandopinion/news/conservative-party-mulls-scrapping-tv-licence-fee-in-favour-of-bbc-ads/en-gb/6752 The Greens also have a notion to scrap the fee.

No of course it isn’t, but did you see Dorries’s performance in the house!

Sheesh! Talk about crass.

Ilovecheese Mon 17-Jan-22 19:12:31

The BBC is a very successful British export. You would think they would have more sense than to try and downgrade something that we should be proud of. They don't seem to understand business, but then we know what Boris Johnson said about business.

FlexibleFriend Mon 17-Jan-22 19:13:27

I watch it so I'm happy to continue paying.

nexus63 Mon 17-Jan-22 19:43:24

i do not have a tv licence, i stopped paying it 2 years ago when it hit me that the box in the corner went days without being switched on. i get my news online and use alexa for my clyde 2 radio (glasgow scotland), i do use the tv to watch my collection of 400 vhs videos. the bbc should be a subscription service like nextflix or prime.

ElaineI Mon 17-Jan-22 19:44:04

Don't agree. I think it should be scrapped. There are also many good series on ITV, CH4 and 5 and Netflix, Amazon Prime among others. Mostly we record and FF adverts.

Keeleklogger Mon 17-Jan-22 19:45:45

I know what’s on offer and I don’t want it.

If it’s so amazing then they should have absolutely no problem going to a subscription service.

It’s also interesting how it’s all the people that claim to care about poor people that want this farce to continue.

The hardest hit by fines and legal threats are people who have to decide whether to put food on the table or heating on or pay this licence fee

Casdon Mon 17-Jan-22 19:54:13

There’s so much more to the BBC than TV. I don’t want adverts every ten minutes when I’m listening to the radio, in addition to high quality programmes I do want a British news station which is respected worldwide, and I do want online content as well as watching live. The licence is not expensive for what you get for your money - 12 cinema tickets a year for one person, or a takeaway meal once a month.

paddyann54 Mon 17-Jan-22 20:05:59

The BBC is like Pravda at its finest ,its spins the truth into something unrecognisable .Its certainly not unbiased ,its unionist and theres no mistake about it.If it can make a good story bad about Scotland or our government it will....and frequently does.Consequently people have stopped paying their licence fee by the tens of thousands .
We need a media that isn't run by tories for tories ,one that tells the truth!

EngTech Mon 17-Jan-22 20:44:20

Watch Australian TV ??

Now that is bad ?

Technology has moved on, perhaps subscription model may stop the sky high wages paid at present out of the license fee?

Marmite32 Mon 17-Jan-22 20:46:02

I'm over 80 and have had to pay recently though previously free. So pleased with the news.
But can understand that it's not so clearcut for those younger.

trisher Mon 17-Jan-22 21:05:33

It's a mistake to imagine that The BBC still exists as a single unit. The BBC Trust was wound up in 2017, it's regulatory duties passed to Ofcom and BBC Board the operation side. But it's BBC Studios who are responsible for the programmes. It's a profit making, incredibly succesful, company on target to return £1.5bn to the BBC by 2023. www.bbcstudios.com

Robin38 Mon 17-Jan-22 21:26:51

Excellent news. Scrap it. The sooner the better.

MayBee70 Mon 17-Jan-22 21:39:08

Just spent our usual Monday night watching the quizzes. Would there ever be a quiz shows like Mastermind, Only Connect and University Challenge if it wasn’t for the BBC?

Zoejory Mon 17-Jan-22 22:04:40

I would be pleased to see the end of the Beeb. We hardly watch it. It is annoying that people who don't watch still have to pay.

And this is not about getting Boris out of trouble, They've been discussing it for years.

This article in The Guardian from 2019

www.theguardian.com/media/2019/dec/16/qa-how-the-bbc-is-funded-by-tv-licences

Gwyneth Mon 17-Jan-22 22:11:53

I’m happy to pay the licence fee because on the whole I think it is good value for money. David Attenborough alone is worth every penny. However, I think some of the salaries paid to certain presenters are too high and the money could be better spent. I don’t see why for example, so many ex tennis players are needed to comment on Wimbledon and the same applies to other major sports events. Also coverage of news items as in the 6pm and 10pm News should be fact only. The amount of bias creeping in is very prevalent currently.

MayBee70 Mon 17-Jan-22 22:21:45

Zoejory

I would be pleased to see the end of the Beeb. We hardly watch it. It is annoying that people who don't watch still have to pay.

And this is not about getting Boris out of trouble, They've been discussing it for years.

This article in The Guardian from 2019

www.theguardian.com/media/2019/dec/16/qa-how-the-bbc-is-funded-by-tv-licences

We know they’ve been talking about it for years. And I’ve been worrying about it for years.But they are using it as a distraction at the moment. Pity some of the other things they’re pushing through parliament aren’t getting the same sort of coverage. I’m sure Johnson is praying for Russia to invade the Ukraine.