Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Holby City - the end

(39 Posts)
Franbern Wed 23-Mar-22 08:33:56

So, next week is the FINAL episode for Holby City - and it appears as if this is going to see the death of one of their most iconic characters, Jac Naylor.

Such a pity - I have been a follower of this since it first it first began and still remember that great first episode (with another - for me - iconic Character Mr Nick Jordan). I have preferred HC to Casualty as it is always much more hospital based (so much of each Casualty episodes takes place outside of the hospital ).
I do record and watch classic episodes of both, but am really sad that the BBC has decided not to continue with HC.
Seems the main reason is that attracts the wrong age group to the one they want. Do they not realise that most of the younger generation do not watch television at all.

Another of my favourite comfort soaps, Neighbours, is also likely to come to an end in the not too distant future.

Obviously my age group are not the one they want watching programmes, - they will take away our popular programmes and then could find themselves left with no audiance at all

Vanessa59 Wed 30-Mar-22 10:37:12

I thought in the last but one episode (??) Jack read out part of a letter she was spending to Emma? There was occasionally mention of her.

Lucca Wed 30-Mar-22 10:27:16

I didn’t find the political,comments clunky, I thought they were highly appropriate

Yangste1007 Wed 30-Mar-22 10:21:48

I had not watched Holby for years but I did make a point of watching the last episode last night. It has been said that there was little or no mention of Emma but out of interest, what did happen to Emma? Did she live with her father? Did Jac have any contact with her? I'm sure someone on here will know.

Vanessa59 Wed 30-Mar-22 10:08:21

At least the building wasn't blown up so they can mothball it for the future if need be.
Is it the same building as the Casualty set?

Nandalot Wed 30-Mar-22 09:51:44

As a dedicated Holby watcher, (but not not Casualty), I thought it was a very dignified final episode. The final section was was a really positive way of showing how valuable organ donations are and seemed in keeping with the ethos of Holby, which as well as being a drama, often used to deal with issues and gave links to support lines.

Aveline Wed 30-Mar-22 08:53:43

I thought it was awful and wished I hadn't seen it at all. I'd have preferred to have just seen last week's episode and left it at that.
The filleting of Jac, the clunky political comments and heavy handed story lines were not good viewing. I know others will disagree but that's my take on as someone who's watched it from the start. Bring on the next drama please.

Lucca Wed 30-Mar-22 08:47:55

Casualty is dreadful , some shocking acting from ? David? And that (um..large);nurse with the child she has some awful script lines though.

Franbern Wed 30-Mar-22 08:09:46

Well, I thought it was an absolutely brilliant episode. Admit it had me in tears at the end, and I very, very rarely cry at fiction these days. Yes, it was almost like HC was one of the casualties of the NHS. Both being killed off!!!!.

I can remember other 'last' episodes of Soaps. Some totally ludicrous (eg: Dynsasty), but this was excellent and, hopefully, gave a boost to organ donation. Lovely to see those many of the characters in this soap in the final scenes.

We have been told that some of the characters will appear in Casualty - do not know which? But Casualty lost its way many years ago, Holby City was by far, the better of the two.

Of course, in a couple of years time, this could be brought back, when someone at the Beeb realises what a mistake they made - but Jac Naylor will never again be part of it.

Farewell Wyvern Ward - Thanks for the many years of entertainment - even with some of the silly stories and incorrect information - RIP.

eazybee Wed 30-Mar-22 07:45:04

I gave up watching Holby City years ago but caught the last episode by accident and found it dignified and moving, and very medical. That was where Holby City and Casualty went wrong; far too many story lines focused on preposterous extraneous relationships and not enough on the actual medical issues that hospitals are all about.

tanith Wed 30-Mar-22 07:17:37

Fletch mentioned Emma when he was writing Jacs letter, she replied did he really want Emma to see her as she deteriorated and died.

Lucca Wed 30-Mar-22 06:04:40

Some nice hard hitting comments too…eg number on the side of a bus and the comments about food banks and a Dickensian state of affairs not saying much for our current leaders !

supernanauna1 Tue 29-Mar-22 22:58:43

I've been watching for years and tonight was the first time HC made me cry. Beautifully done - an episode to be proud of. I'll miss it a lot.

OnwardandUpward Tue 29-Mar-22 22:38:23

Yes I noticed there was no mention of Emma and hasn't been for some time, which is sad.

Yes, so many good actors and fab storylines. I wish there could have been a happy ending for Dom though.

BlueBelle Tue 29-Mar-22 22:18:24

I heard ‘Donna’ say on tv this morning that there is a petition to bring it back but I haven’t seen one
I was sad that Jac s heart went to such an elderly patient and it’s a shame her little girl wasn’t with her or even mentioned
I m glad Heinrich has opened his heart and Nicky is a cracking little actor
Very sorry it’s going

OnwardandUpward Tue 29-Mar-22 22:18:16

That's so lovely about the organs.

I have never watched Waterloo Road. Not sure if it's any good, but I will miss Holby.

Cabbie21 Tue 29-Mar-22 22:00:22

Spoiler alert, if anyone hasn't seen it yet.
Such a bitter sweet ending that her heart went to the vicar who had been her patient over the years. Lovely touch that other organs went to patients of previous members of the cast.

I don't understand why the BBC are axing it. It is one of their best programmes.

Atqui Tue 29-Mar-22 21:40:12

I’ve just read that the BBC thinks that the north is under represented in BBC drama so they are bringing back Waterloo Road.

OnwardandUpward Tue 29-Mar-22 21:38:47

"Like a sack full of yoghurts...!" (or was it a black sack full of yoghurt?) grin

Nice that Jac said she loved Sasha back even though it was the end of her.

BlueBelle Tue 29-Mar-22 21:21:51

Well that was soooo sad the story around Jac and the fact it’s ended I m not sure how many of the 23 years I ve watched it for but probably most of them There is so much worse that could have been taken off like some of the awful realty programmes
I wonder why it has been taken off

Atqui Tue 29-Mar-22 21:18:24

“it’s So unfair”!!!!!
( can’t remember where that comes from)
Pleased Hansen got some happiness in the end .

OnwardandUpward Tue 29-Mar-22 21:04:07

Was.

Yes! I have watched it for many years, will miss it.

Vanessa59 Tue 29-Mar-22 20:42:25

So long Holby.

When they showed the black and white stills at the end, I was surprised how small the cast of Holby actually is.

tanith Tue 29-Mar-22 20:41:28

????

OnwardandUpward Tue 29-Mar-22 20:38:11

Ahh I'm sad it's over.

Jaxjacky Tue 29-Mar-22 20:37:13

Brilliantly done BBC.