Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Split

(63 Posts)
Diggingdoris Wed 06-Apr-22 12:03:20

Wow what an emotional start to this series! I know the other episodes are available on iplayer but I'm trying to resist watching them as I enjoy the anticipation of waiting for next week's programme.
What do you all do with a series?

BlueBelle Fri 15-Apr-22 17:57:24

Well I’m being very self contained and watching bit by bit because there’s sweet diddly squit else on at the moment so
I m being very self controlled and enjoying it a lot

cc Fri 15-Apr-22 20:45:46

I like Stephen Mangan too, seems so empathetic, though I know he is an actor playing a role. Have seen him in more comedy roles than straight.

loopyloo Tue 19-Apr-22 18:27:17

Binge watching this at the moment.
They have such difficult complicated lives so makes me feel mine not too bad!

Curlywhirly Tue 19-Apr-22 20:37:39

Really enjoying it, love some of the clothes, especially Nicola Walker's outfits.

Urmstongran Tue 19-Apr-22 20:54:46

I absolutely loved it.

I’m not sure about how just totally forgiving they all are as a family though?
* SPOILER ALERT***‼️
When the 3 sisters find the box in their mum’s wardrobe? An apology from mum and all just okay? Not very believable.
Wouldn’t happen so smoothly in real life. No estrangement? It’s happened for much less than that in some families.

A couple of other examples come to mind too.
Then I thought ‘stop nitpicking it’s only a drama!’.

Urmstongran Tue 19-Apr-22 20:59:54

I agree Curlywhirly I loved Hannah’s rain mac with all the shoulder detail. Looked very stylish (and expensive!). Isn’t she slim? She looked so different from her appearance in ‘Last Tango in Halifax’.

loopyloo Wed 20-Apr-22 08:44:51

Yes I love the clothes. Especially the Mother's. Where does she buy them?

Eloethan Sat 23-Apr-22 00:10:33

This series was very watchable but I did think the ending was a bit too sugary and not very realistic. On balance, though, I really enjoyed it.

I assume it's the last series?

BigBertha1 Sat 23-Apr-22 06:25:49

Nicola Walker's lovely camel coat is MaxMara I understand...very expensive.

Curlywhirly Sat 23-Apr-22 08:26:01

Urmstongran

I agree Curlywhirly I loved Hannah’s rain mac with all the shoulder detail. Looked very stylish (and expensive!). Isn’t she slim? She looked so different from her appearance in ‘Last Tango in Halifax’.

Yes Urmstongran Nicola Walker looks so different from her character in Last Tango - but somehow she doesn't look like she used to walking in high heels! She seems to 'clomp' in them (was more noticeable in the last series). Mind you, after living in fitflops and flatties through covid lockdown, I'm having the same problem, heels are so alien now ?

varian Sun 24-Apr-22 20:01:41

Spoiler alert -I have watched the whole series.

I thought it was good entertainment, with some engaging plot themes and interesting characters.

However in many ways it did not seem to be based in reality.

There was far to much schmaltz and sentimentality, especially in the central relationships of Ruth and her daughters.

There seemed to be a lot of inter-racial pairings - Oscar and Maya, Rose and James, Xander and Tyler, Goldie and Davey, the lesbians who were having a baby and possibly others I can't remember.

The mixed race pupil barrister complained that only 12,5% of barristers were black or ethnic minority yet this does closely reflect the percentage in the UK population.

Hannah, the central character did in the end let go of her husband who had told her he still loved her. She also had protestations of love from Christy who wanted her to go to New York. She refused as her family was in London.

I think when Xander said he was taking time out and handing over the practice to Hannah, it would have made sense for her to ask Christy to come back to London.

However I think it is probably a plus for a drama that leaves us thinking about how we might have changed the plot. So we'll done Split writers.

GagaJo Sun 24-Apr-22 22:00:26

There seemed to be a lot of inter-racial pairings - Oscar and Maya, Rose and James, Xander and Tyler, Goldie and Davey, the lesbians who were having a baby and possibly others I can't remember.

This is a very normal part of modern life. So unremarkable, no one in the series remarked on it.

varian Mon 25-Apr-22 05:49:13

I think that may reflect life in London and the fact no one remarked on it was a mark of the change over our lifetimes. We have come a long way since the film "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" with Sidney Poitier.

GagaJo Mon 25-Apr-22 08:06:54

It reflects life where I live in the far NE too. Mixed relationships are standard.

BlueBelle Mon 25-Apr-22 08:18:28

I was in the only mixed race relationship where I was living in 1964 it was VERY tough then but now it’s very normal
( thankfully) in fact so normal I hadn’t noticed them in this drama to the same extent you had Varian where on earth do you live ?

varian Mon 25-Apr-22 08:26:39

I live in a very rural area .which is quite different. When we came here in the seventies one of the first friends we made was married to our GP and their children were literally the only mixed race children in the primary school. Even now there are very few non white local residents.

varian Mon 25-Apr-22 08:34:22

In The Spilt they held a wedding reception with guests sitting at tables in the churchyard. I can't imagine that ever happening here. Does that actually happen in London?

Urmstongran Mon 25-Apr-22 08:40:06

I think when Xander said he was taking time out and handing over the practice to Hannah, it would have made sense for her to ask Christy to come back to London.

She did suggest this to him varian I seem to recall. I think she left a voicemail message, pretty much saying “if you want to live over here the ball’s in your court”.?

mumofmadboys Wed 27-Apr-22 04:26:17

I wanted Hannah to get back with Nathan.

GagaJo Wed 27-Apr-22 10:06:16

Me too. It seemed logical. I felt his new GF tricked/trapped him into the new baby. If it hadn't been for that, they'd have got back together.

eazybee Wed 27-Apr-22 13:25:37

I do wish people would not discuss a series they have binge-watched before the final episode is available on the normal channel.

varian Wed 27-Apr-22 18:44:56

I did start m,y first post with "spoiler alert" to ward off further reading by those who want to watch at a later date.

GagaJo Wed 27-Apr-22 19:16:40

It's on BBC iPlayer? I thought it had finished.

Jaxjacky Wed 27-Apr-22 20:03:49

Hope not GagaJo we’ll be watching this weeks episode about 9 tonight.

Harris27 Wed 27-Apr-22 20:18:57

Best bbc drama in ages.