Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What can I watch ??

(59 Posts)
Lucca Fri 13-May-22 18:46:48

So I’ve got Netflix and Amazon prime…. Can’t find anything to watch ! A film ? A good series ?
I’ve done queens gambit offspring rake Bridgerton call my agent anatomy of a scandal (excellent) etc etc
Got bored with House of Gucci.

Don’t like anything too violent or too cheesy but like period drama (not lark rise…) loved grace and Frankie.

Is that western with Benedict C in worth it ?.

I’m spending a lot more time with the tv these days.

vegansrock Sat 14-May-22 10:49:01

Modern Love on Prime is good - little short stories based on real life relationships. Couples Therapy is real life couples on iplayer . Ozark, Better Call Saul on Netflix

FannyCornforth Sat 14-May-22 11:20:18

Lucca I’ve just seen this that you might like amp.theguardian.com/film/2022/may/09/my-streaming-gem-why-you-should-watch-love-friendship

Jane43 Sat 14-May-22 11:43:40

MerylStreep

Schitts Creek ?
I’m on my 3rd time of watching the series.
The best film ( lately) Mao’s last Dancer. Amazing true story.

I didn’t know there was a film of Mao’s Last Dancer. I read the bool a few years ago after a recommendation from my sister-in-law and after I finished it I passed it on to my friend; we both thought it was wonderful. I will try and find the film this evening.

Lucca Sun 15-May-22 17:19:35

FannyCornforth

Lucca I’ve just seen this that you might like amp.theguardian.com/film/2022/may/09/my-streaming-gem-why-you-should-watch-love-friendship

Ooh thanks … I have a sneaky feeling I may have seen it but I’ll check

J52 Sun 15-May-22 18:07:25

If you’ve got a lot of time, This Is Us on Prime. 6 series of 18 episodes. A real tear jerker!

Aveline Sun 15-May-22 18:17:59

I'm loving BritBox. I've got 6 months free with my BT package. So many high quality programmes to watch:
Hotel Portofino
Murder in Provence
Why didn't they ask Evans
Give it a try? You can get a free week's trial.

GrannySquare Sun 15-May-22 18:25:11

Harry Bosch is great, both to read & watch.
Great written character & Titus Whatshisface offers a compelling interpretation.

Goliath on Prime with BillyBob Thornton is worth a try.

GrannySquare Sun 15-May-22 18:31:31

Schitt’s Creek is worth the time.

Oh, Couples Therapy - compelling fly-on-the-wall series as couples explore the complexities of the relationships. Some you wish all the very best & hope that they make it through with an even stronger bond & others…well, I found myself grinding my gears, growling that she should dump the bastard this very moment. I’ll leave you to work that one out for yourself. As an aside we also meet the therapist’s supervisor as they meet to discuss the cases, a gentle insight into a therapist’s working life.

HurdyGurdy Sun 15-May-22 18:33:16

I watched "Our Father" on Netflix today. Only one episode - not a series. About a fertility doctor who artificially inseminated many women with his own sperm.

Quite shocking.

Lucca Sun 15-May-22 18:59:55

GrannySquare

Schitt’s Creek is worth the time.

Oh, Couples Therapy - compelling fly-on-the-wall series as couples explore the complexities of the relationships. Some you wish all the very best & hope that they make it through with an even stronger bond & others…well, I found myself grinding my gears, growling that she should dump the bastard this very moment. I’ll leave you to work that one out for yourself. As an aside we also meet the therapist’s supervisor as they meet to discuss the cases, a gentle insight into a therapist’s working life.

Watched that !

Lucca Sun 15-May-22 19:00:25

J52

If you’ve got a lot of time, This Is Us on Prime. 6 series of 18 episodes. A real tear jerker!

Think I’ve watched that too….

GrannySquare Sun 15-May-22 19:49:11

@Lucca,

Couples Therapy - any of them grind your gears?

Pittcity Sun 15-May-22 19:56:40

The last series of This is Us still has 2 episodes to go. They are being released weekly on Thursdays at the same time as being shown in the US.

Lucca Sun 15-May-22 22:41:37

GrannySquare

@Lucca,

Couples Therapy - any of them grind your gears?

Plenty!

Kalu Sun 15-May-22 23:28:21

Just finished Last Kingdom and really enjoyed it - Netflix
Presently watching Godless, a western starring Michelle Dockery, Lady Mary from Downton. More enjoyable than I thought it might be - Netflix
This is Us is on my to watch list as DD1 has raved about it.

GrandmasueUK Tue 24-May-22 21:59:59

I’ve got the last episode of This is Us to go this week. The last 2 episodes had me sobbing. I cried all the way through the last one and I’m tearing up just thinking about it. I don’t know if I can watch the final episode of all this week. Some series I can watch again, but this one is just so heart wrenching!

On a much lighter note a brilliant comedy called The Middle is well worth watching. We are watching it every night for at least the 4th time. It’s on Comedy Central.

Taskmaster is another family favourite and again we have watched it several times. It’s on catch up somewhere, but the new series 13 is on Channel 4.

Esspee Tue 24-May-22 22:18:53

Lucca You will love Offspring on Netflix. It is an Australian series about a family and especially the daughter, a gynaecologist. Everyone I recommended it to enjoyed it.

On Prime my top recommendation is Bosch and the sequel Bosch Legacy.

I hope you are feeling well enough to get out into the sunshine. Just sitting near water in the shade of a tree listening to the birds lifts the spirits I find.

Mom3 Wed 25-May-22 07:00:02

We watched "Still Game" and finished the series a few nights ago. Our daughter told us about it. It's a several years old Scottish comedy series and we loved it! It's also very touching and I'm bereft now that it's over.
We loved Breaking Bad and watched the most recent Better Call Saul tonight. Also watching a good series The Spy with Sasha Baron Cohen. Another exciting series is Tehran.

DillytheGardener Wed 25-May-22 07:19:21

It’s not Netflix or Prime, but ‘Gentleman Jack’ is one of my favourite shows, funny, but great dramatic moments, cracking pace and the costumes are fun.
Looking with interest with others recommendations on Netflix/prime as I can’t find much I’d like to watch.
Looking to try Disney or britbox next.

Lucca Wed 25-May-22 07:24:23

Esspee

Lucca You will love Offspring on Netflix. It is an Australian series about a family and especially the daughter, a gynaecologist. Everyone I recommended it to enjoyed it.

On Prime my top recommendation is Bosch and the sequel Bosch Legacy.

I hope you are feeling well enough to get out into the sunshine. Just sitting near water in the shade of a tree listening to the birds lifts the spirits I find.

I’ve watched offspring ! Twice !

Aveline Wed 25-May-22 08:02:19

I loved Offspring and miss the Proudmans and their friends now I've finished watching the whole series ?
Meanwhile I've found absolute gems on BritBox. It's worth a look. Hotel Portofino, Murder in Provence, Magpie Murders to name three.

Mine Wed 25-May-22 14:24:13

I'm desperate to watch THIS IS US but don't have prime...Hoping it comes to netflix or Sky channels.....

Watching... Better Call Saul...Liking it....

Pittcity Wed 25-May-22 15:42:23

Mine

I'm desperate to watch THIS IS US but don't have prime...Hoping it comes to netflix or Sky channels.....

Watching... Better Call Saul...Liking it....

Why not sign up for a free trial of Prime, binge watch This is Us and then cancel?

Lucca Wed 25-May-22 17:36:49

Aveline and Esspee. Have you watched Rake ? Australian

Or Call my agent ….French ?

I enjoyed both of those and Grace and Frankie.

Aveline Wed 25-May-22 19:04:40

I wasn't keen on Rake and can't stand subtitles sad. I loved Grace and Frankie but now I've seen them all and the series is at an end sad again!