Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Dialects and lazy speech - there is a difference

(240 Posts)
Franbern Fri 20-May-22 12:21:12

Was quite taken aback, just now - at BBC - hidden presenter introducing Bargain Hunt and trying to inform us that in half an hours time it would be time for The repair Shop. He actually said 'At one foree five.......'

I can appreciate the BBC having presenters, etc. with different local dialects BUT this is just lazy speech, not a dialect The word is FORTY not FOEE. AND it would have been good to hear a T at the end of Hunt..

How can we correct children's lazy speech with this sort of thing? Or am I just being picky in my old age????

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 22-May-22 12:48:08

I would enjoy DNA Family Secrets a great deal more if Stacey Dooley wasn’t the presenter. Gluttal stops everywhere. Her speech is atrocious for a television presenter.

Bluesmum Sun 22-May-22 12:49:11

I used to think the most commonly badly pronounced words on the bbc news bulletins used to be when they referred to the Home Secretary as the “Ome sekkertree” . Don’t tell me that is regional! I wanted to scream and throw things at the tele!!! Never hardly ever watch the news now especially that Biased Broadcasting Corporation - peace is restored!

MissAdventure Sun 22-May-22 12:52:24

Ah, as expected, the screamers. smile

BlueBelle Sun 22-May-22 13:04:14

Blimey what a lot of complainers …who cares

JaneJudge Sun 22-May-22 13:05:25

I actually think people like Stacey Dooley do more good by being happy with who they are and where they come from. There is nothing wrong with her own voice

MissAdventure Sun 22-May-22 13:15:50

Regional speech just means that people from the same region will speak in the same way.

It seems elocution, and all the other things that can be taught, don't teach the understanding of a basic term.

The clue is in the word "regional".

GagaJo Sun 22-May-22 13:42:59

Germanshepherdsmum

I would enjoy DNA Family Secrets a great deal more if Stacey Dooley wasn’t the presenter. Gluttal stops everywhere. Her speech is atrocious for a television presenter.

Peak snob I think!

The glottal stop is a part of certain dialects.

Too common for you?

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 22-May-22 13:44:33

In a word, yes.

Dottynan Sun 22-May-22 13:48:47

I work with a girl from 'Ackney (Hackney). She tells me there is no H in their dictionary. I love hearing her accent

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 22-May-22 13:55:51

Can she pronounce T? As in photo, not pho’o?

ayse Sun 22-May-22 13:57:58

As I recently explained to my GCs aged 7 it doesn’t matter how you speak as long as you can be understood. They are always taking the mickey as I have a SE accent. Bath and barth, path and parth etc.?

OakDryad Sun 22-May-22 13:58:39

I like the variety of different voices and accents in public television so long as I can understand what is being said. I would not want to go back to the ”cut glass” voices of the earlier BBC.

What I do struggle with are government (and other) call centres where the regional accent is very pronounced and I have difficulty hearing what is being said. I have particular difficulty with strong Merseeyside accents when I need to call the DWP in Bootle. I find actors Stephen Graham and Jodie Comer and comedian John Bishop difficult to understand. I struggle with some strong Scottish accents too.

I'm mentally sharp and my hearing is very good it is to do with the accent. I'm from the south of England and speak RP. My question is, do people from one region find those from another difficult to understand. Would my RP not be clear to a Liverpudlian or a Scot?

volver Sun 22-May-22 14:02:16

To be fair, we do struggle a bit with dropped consonants.

Daw for instance.

Where has the r gone?

Rosiebee Sun 22-May-22 14:04:57

I notice language more when listening to the radio - which I often do. I find the missing "T" irritating. It does seem to be a recent thing or maybe I find it more so as I'm getting older. Alongside radio presenters pronouncing "been" as "bin". "Bin" in a dialect is fine [Where's tha bin?] but just sounds lazy when the speaker is otherwise speaking fairly middle of the road English [Where have you bin?]
I'll try not to get started on inflection or I shall really get my knickers in a twist. There was an interview yesterday where I couldn't focus on the interviewee's points, as all I could hear was that dreadful sing songy voice that went up at the end of every sentence???
Wonder if I could move on to "inappropriate apostrophes"? Maybe not.

MissAdventure Sun 22-May-22 14:05:40

Aaaat the winda?

MissAdventure Sun 22-May-22 14:14:31

I always think that "not in the spirit of gransnet" should include page after page of people "screaming" about linguistic differences. (Basically based around estuary English every time)

It's very unpleasant to read how people think my parents were lazy, that I am, that my daughter and grandsons are.

Cabbie21 Sun 22-May-22 14:16:14

Ending - ing words with - in is one that irritates me. One of our regional TV presenters does it, and as far as I am aware, this is not our local accent.

In my opinion, TV and radio presenters, as well as call-centre handlers, need to be understood by everyone all over the country, and also, not a source of irritation. If that is snobby, I am a snob. Of course, I realise that what irritates one person will be music to the ears of another( but then we have varying tastes in music).

MissAdventure Sun 22-May-22 14:17:39

People have trouble knowing what is meant if I say "knowin"??

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 22-May-22 14:18:51

But you’re not on tv or radio are you MissA?

volver Sun 22-May-22 14:20:32

MissA - you're not Priti Patel are you? According to some, her way of speaking is the worst thing about her. grin

Billy Mackay recently gave the "Time for Reflection" 5 minute talk at the Scottish Parliament in Scots. Some people almost self combusted grin

MissAdventure Sun 22-May-22 14:21:10

In what respect does that make a difference?
Knowing.
Knowin.

If we had a chat in the phone, or you heard it on tv, its simple to know what is being said.

MissAdventure Sun 22-May-22 14:23:40

volver

MissA - you're not Priti Patel are you? According to some, her way of speaking is the worst thing about her. grin

Billy Mackay recently gave the "Time for Reflection" 5 minute talk at the Scottish Parliament in Scots. Some people almost self combusted grin

Busted!
I tried to pass myself off as the queen a while back, but I've been "faaand aaaat!"

Blossoming Sun 22-May-22 14:28:47

I see that snobbery is still as rife as it was in my childhood. How sad.

GagaJo Sun 22-May-22 14:29:45

Germanshepherdsmum

Can she pronounce T? As in photo, not pho’o?

It's not about not being able to. Anyone can do it. It's not a skill.

It's a regional feature of spoken language. Not a weakness or laziness. Unlike poor spelling of a word, where there are already correctly spelled examples present. Now that is laziness.

icanhandthemback Sun 22-May-22 14:30:18

I have no issue with accents at all although pronouncing most words phonetically is an aid to spelling from an educational point of view. My husband is a screamer and I complain more about him moaning than I do about accents. I do like to be able to read the subtitles though and sometimes they have to be deciphered which is a bit of a pain.