Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Did anyone hear the brilliant Janey?

(55 Posts)
Farzanah Mon 13-Jun-22 13:38:47

Janey Godley on BBC 4, 7.30pm last night?
She was in the middle of chemo for ovarian cancer when she recorded this and she was magnificent. Very very funny and she really lifted my spirits and was also open and informative about her diagnosis and treatment.
I loved her before, and love her even more now.

volver Mon 13-Jun-22 13:43:29

Yes. Have you seen her posts today? Fingers crossed. ??

volver Mon 13-Jun-22 13:44:30

Janet Goodley ?

Blondiescot Mon 13-Jun-22 14:08:31

Sorry, but while I'd never wish cancer on anyone, I can't excuse the bile and hatred she's spewed on Twitter over the years.

volver Mon 13-Jun-22 14:11:34

Then I'd really recommend you listen to the start of the program and maybe cut someone suffering from cancer some slack.

Floradora9 Mon 13-Jun-22 15:06:45

Do read her autobiography " Handstands in the Dark " . What a terrible young life she led and even after she married life was bad .

Aveline Mon 13-Jun-22 15:14:03

No thanks.

MawtheMerrier Mon 13-Jun-22 15:20:54

I was very moved by her frankness, contrition for those she’s upset but also her courageous sense of humour, especially her “sign off” !
A brave woman

MawtheMerrier Mon 13-Jun-22 15:27:33

volver

Janet Goodley ?

Who?

volver Mon 13-Jun-22 15:30:03

MawtheMerrier

volver

Janet Goodley ?

Who?

Did you not listen to the show? The bit with the doctor with an unusual name?

MawtheMerrier Mon 13-Jun-22 15:42:42

Must have missed that bit - doing up the bin bags so in and out of the kitchen once or twice blush

Blossoming Mon 13-Jun-22 15:46:45

MawtheMerrier

volver

Janet Goodley ?

Who?

I think the OP meant Janey Godley. My iPad tries to call her Janet sometimes.

Farzanah Mon 13-Jun-22 15:48:53

I think we all may have done and said things in the past we’ve regretted Blondiescot but it takes a lot of guts to admit so, and have the humility to apologise to an audience. I admire her for that, and also the fact that she describes her experience with cancer frankly, with humour, and in detail, and how to recognise early signs and symptoms.
I agree “cut her a bit of slack”.

Visgir1 Mon 13-Jun-22 15:56:16

Followed her for ages, very funny lady and she's been so brave with her honest feelings on this painful journey.
I know she's hacked off quite a few people... you can't win them all.... "Get the door Frank"

Zoejory Mon 13-Jun-22 16:08:52

I'd only heard of her vaguely.

I din't shock easily but some of the Tweets that have surfaced are appalling.

Hacked off a few people, Visgirl1? Have you read what she's tweeted about disabled people, black people? 50 Cent and Kelly Rowland were mentioned in disgusting way

volver Mon 13-Jun-22 16:17:59

She's apologised and explained that she knows some people will never forgive her.

What shocked me was an elected MSP trolling her online while she had cancer. Now that's shocking.

Aveline Mon 13-Jun-22 16:20:22

In her 'pleasant' way she's wished cancer in others. Just too unpleasant to ever want to listen to her or read about her again.

Blondiescot Mon 13-Jun-22 16:23:24

Aveline

In her 'pleasant' way she's wished cancer in others. Just too unpleasant to ever want to listen to her or read about her again.

That and her comments about disabled people. Unforgiveable. As I said, I'd never wish cancer on her, but sorry or not, some things just can't be unsaid.

volver Mon 13-Jun-22 17:27:55

Blondiescot

Aveline

That and her comments about disabled people. Unforgiveable. As I said, I'd never wish cancer on her, but sorry or not, some things just can't be unsaid.

As I said, She's apologised and explained that she knows some people will never forgive her.

I expect she has bigger things to worry about than whether you forgive her.

Aveline Mon 13-Jun-22 17:30:41

I'm sure she has. Many people, sadly, have cancer and quietly deal with it and it's consequences without trying to sell the story. ?

volver Mon 13-Jun-22 17:33:26

Gosh, is she earning her own living despite having a terrible illness? How galling for you.

Aveline Mon 13-Jun-22 17:47:50

Arguing for the sake of arguing volver? You find her funny. Many of us just aren't amused by her in any way.

volver Mon 13-Jun-22 17:53:02

That's OK, you don't have to be amused by her. Its not compulsory. I guess there must have been people in Scotland who didn't like "Frank get the door". And one of them was you. Imagine.

I just find it very tasteless to hear people keep going on about her past when she has apologised for it and knows she did wrong and doesn't expect to be let off with it. And now she has cancer.

Kick her while she's down, why don't you?

snowberryZ Mon 13-Jun-22 18:02:22

I agree with Volver (I must be getting soft in my old age wink)
She's apologised.
I believe in giving people another chance, especially if they know and admit they've done wrong.

Zoejory Mon 13-Jun-22 18:19:28

I'm sure she doesn't care now. Illness has a way of making you see things differently.

Those tweets will be forever available online though. Which is a shame for her.