Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

University challenge

(162 Posts)
Georgesgran Tue 16-Aug-22 16:16:34

Jeremy Paxman has announced he’s leaving UC after almost 30 years. I suspect his Parkinson’s is now a factor.
Who would GNs like to see take over, or do you think this programme has run its course?

Septimia Fri 19-Aug-22 15:07:08

I don't like the way Amol Rajan presents Today - it's too casual for a serious news programme.

I shall see how he is on University Challenge but if I don't like the way he does it, I shall forgo my efforts to answer the questions and not watch. If viewing figures drop seriously maybe they'll find someone with more gravitas.

Joseanne Fri 19-Aug-22 15:11:06

I can't say I like him much, but I will keep an open mind.
If viewing figures drop, then the programme might sadly die a death.

NotSpaghetti Sat 20-Aug-22 00:38:05

Yes, it is the lack of gravitas, Septimia that is particularly annoying on the Today Programne, you are right.

Baggytrazzas Sat 20-Aug-22 08:43:12

Septimia

I don't like the way Amol Rajan presents Today - it's too casual for a serious news programme.

I shall see how he is on University Challenge but if I don't like the way he does it, I shall forgo my efforts to answer the questions and not watch. If viewing figures drop seriously maybe they'll find someone with more gravitas.

Is the main part of the show not the questions and answers though?

lemsip Sat 20-Aug-22 08:51:41

It needs to be someone with good diction and a clear precise voice when asking questions.
Amol Rajan has none of these attributes!

henetha Sat 20-Aug-22 10:34:49

I always have some difficulty in understanding what Amol is saying. He doesn't speak clearly. So he is not a good choice for me, unfortunately.

midgey Sat 20-Aug-22 10:57:23

It seems to me that the BBC has favourites, first Clare Balding everywhere, then Evan Davies and now Amol Rajan. There must be younger clever people who could have filled the bill.

MayBee70 Sat 20-Aug-22 11:43:12

I don’t think they favour Clare Balding. From memory ( I could be wrong) she lost a contract with them which upset her because she had mortgages to pay etc.And, at the same time she found that she had thyroid cancer ( thankfully now cured). But being freelance she diversified and showed how adaptable she could be. DH told me that she started commentating on rugby and the close knit rugby community were amazed by her knowledge of the sport. From then on she went from strength to strength. I met her a couple of times way back and she’s a genuinely lovely person. I’m pleased that she’s done so well. But think I read that she now has a hearing problem.

haporthrosie Sun 21-Aug-22 06:45:33

Agree with those who said Clive Anderson, he would've been marvelous. Still miss Bamber.

henetha Sun 21-Aug-22 11:16:39

How about Stephen Fry? His diction is excellent.

NotSpaghetti Sun 21-Aug-22 12:49:53

Don't really like Stephen Fry particularly but agree yhe diction is important and he definitely has that. Clive Anderson also.
Yes.